Marketing: A Rant.

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
I went up to visit some family yesterday and today. One of them is the person that got me started in golf. He is a smart guy, loves to argue, and is hyper opinionated. Makes for fun Sunday nights.

We got started on golf balls somehow. Now, a little info: he is a Pro V1 NUT. He proceeded to tell me that for any low handicapper, no matter the swing or swing speed, the Pro V1 or X was the best golf ball period. Argued about this point until he was blue in the face, and I was about to punch a wall. He is so convinced that he is right that he is blind to the fact that all his evidence is faulty. Am I wrong when I say that almost all pros play Titleist (or any other ball) because they are paid for it? He then proceeded to tell me that the Pro V1 was the most durable ball on the market, and that the B330-RX that I have grown fond of is the least durable, and that is is not a true tour caliber ball... I gave up. My argument conceded the fact that it may be the best for him, but it wasn't for me. Apparently I am wrong there too, and I will change my mind when I am better.

Anybody know a person like this?

I went up to visit some family yesterday and today. One of them is the person that got me started in golf. He is a smart guy, loves to argue, and is hyper opinionated. Makes for fun Sunday nights.

We got started on golf balls somehow. Now, a little info: he is a Pro V1 NUT. He proceeded to tell me that for any low handicapper, no matter the swing or swing speed, the Pro V1 or X was the best golf ball period. Argued about this point until he was blue in the face, and I was about to punch a wall. He is so convinced that he is right that he is blind to the fact that all his evidence is faulty. Am I wrong when I say that almost all pros play Titleist (or any other ball) because they are paid for it? He then proceeded to tell me that the Pro V1 was the most durable ball on the market, and that the B330-RX that I have grown fond of is the least durable, and that is is not a true tour caliber ball... I gave up. My argument conceded the fact that it may be the best for him, but it wasn't for me. Apparently I am wrong there too, and I will change my mind when I am better.

yes and it comes back to the Titleist snobs we talked about in the "irrational dislike of certain brands thread", that brand just seems to attract those kind of people more than any other. No offense to your family since he is family but i hate people like that, they just bug the living dog crap out of me

A single person? HECK. I know a whole dang forum like that!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
golfwrx+logo.gif

yes and it comes back to the Titleist snobs we talked about in the "irrational dislike of certain brands thread", that brand just seems to attract those kind of people more than any other. No offense to your family since he is family but i hate people like that, they just bug the living dog crap out of me

Technically speaking he isn't family. It's complicated. Lets just say that his family and our family are such good friends, I basically see him and his brother as my brothers.

Some of it comes to golf balls. Others come to certain driver companies. Others more it comes to certain irons and even more about the whole forged thing. Marketing is the key to the world some would argue.

Haha thainer that's funny

I now tap while I talk

Some people are just convinced that if most Tour players play it, it's better for everyone. I really love Bridgestone balls and I was recently incredibly impressed with the durability of the new Z Star.

My boss is that kind of person, I have learned its just better to "okay" and leave it alone. There is no talking sense into people like that.

So if you are a high handicap its better to lose $45 a dozon balls than $25?

If it only lakes two tour level balls why does bridgestone make so many many to fit a greater range of players?

If i was a tour pro I would wear a hat and take all the free balls from a company that pays me money too.

Some of it comes to golf balls. Others come to certain driver companies. Others more it comes to certain irons and even more about the whole forged thing. Marketing is the key to the world some would argue.

Completely true. He has been out of the golf world for a while, too. Only just got back in, yet he is still convinced that his knowledge of the current industry is superior to mine or, heck, your's (I showed his some posts of knowledgeable members of this forum). Apparently he is of the opinion that this forum is full of 12 year olds posting random nonsense. I couldn't stand it.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
golfwrx+logo.gif

I have another one......but you may be able to guess it and I won't say. That is all.

And yes, the #1 guy on my varsity team plays pro-v1s like they were the "god" golf ball. I don't think I am good enough or have the swing speed YET to play them.

I used to be like that when it came to Titleist. I think I needed to overcompensate for the so so results.

I used to be like that when it came to Titleist. I think I needed to overcompensate for the so so results.

Hey Griff i like the honesty buddy.

It's hard to argue or debate a position to someone who has already closed off their mind man....

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
golfwrx+logo.gif

Amen to that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree and disagree with a few things said in his rant. The ProV1 is under no circumstance the most durable ball anywhere, anytime, everrr! The cover sucks and it cuts/scuffs way to easily. Although this is true I don't feel that the only reason pros play this ball is because they get paid for it. I really do feel like the ProV1 is the top ball out there as of right now in my opinion. Me being a ProV1 guy as of right now I don't feel that the Bridgestone compares. The reasons for that are my playing and testing and also so many tour players play ProV1's for them to not be the best ball in golf right now. I'm not completely shut down to new competition nor am I a complete Titleist nut, in fact I'm receiving a free 6 pack of Pentas and am very excited to take the ProV1 out of my personal bag. I just feel like Titleist has the best ball on the market right now. Once again I'm not shut down on the idea, I just feel like in my opinion right now the ProV1 is the best ball out there.

I agree and disagree with a few things said in his rant. The ProV1 is under no circumstance the most durable ball anywhere, anytime, everrr! The cover sucks and it cuts/scuffs way to easily. Although this is true I don't feel that the only reason pros play this ball is because they get paid for it. I really do feel like the ProV1 is the top ball out there as of right now in my opinion. Me being a ProV1 guy as of right now I don't feel that the Bridgestone compares. The reasons for that are my playing and testing and also so many tour players play ProV1's for them to not be the best ball in golf right now. I'm not completely shut down to new competition nor am I a complete Titleist nut, in fact I'm receiving a free 6 pack of Pentas and am very excited to take the ProV1 out of my personal bag. I just feel like Titleist has the best ball on the market right now. Once again I'm not shut down on the idea, I just feel like in my opinion right now the ProV1 is the best ball out there.

Thank you for your opinions. Now here is mine: I think the Pro V 1 is probably the best ball for YOU. You know, different stroke for different folks.

Thank you for your opinions. Now here is mine: I think the Pro V 1 is probably the best ball for YOU. You know, different stroke for different folks.

Exactly. I love the ProV1 for me.

For you. Your statements that it is the best out there, should really be changed to the best out there for you in my opinion. I do have to say that I find the bolded part kind of funny though. Must mean that TaylorMade makes the best driver, Adams makes the best hybrid, Titleist makes the best wedges and putter and FootJoy makes the best shoes and while we are at it, True Temper makes the best iron shafts and the list goes on and on. Did you know that on other tours Titleist is not the most used for balls, nor is Taylormade for drivers?

There is nothing wrong with the Titleist Pro V1. Its a darn good ball. However based on your line of thinking, there are TONS of professionals playing an inferior golf ball. No offense, there is NO WAY with the kind of money on the line that they would do so. EVERY premium ball is a great ball. Not every premium ball fits every player. If the Pro V1 is the "best ball out there", why does most of the tour players using it not even play the current 2011 model? The answer is easy, because there is NO best anything. Its what fits an individual player.

The same could be said for many things from many companies. Commercials work, period ;) Some even make you think certain clubs can make you are better than you are :)

Exactly. I love the ProV1 for me.

I have absolutely ZERO problem with this. My problem is with guys who think it is best for EVERYBODY.

There are some people that will believe many things and there won't be much you can say to change there mind. I totally understand how frustrating these people can be but I just brush them off when I can.

Steve Stricker winning this week was a good example of someone not using the "best" equipment. He plays older model drivers and fairway woods and still kicked some tail. And for a Titleist player, he uses an Odyssey putter. To each his own.

Back