ECUPirates

Reaction score
Handicap
Decided I would get to work a little later today and go walk 9 holes before it got to hot. My local course is a small compact 9 hole course.

There was a group of old guys some walking some riding teeing off at 1 so I decided I would start at 6. I played 6 through 9 and I was really hitting the ball just terrible. Would hook on drive then slice the next shot. Finish up the 9th and go to play number 1 and a 6-some of old guys all walking saw me walk up to the tee while they were at the senior tee's teeing off 1 and didn't let me play through. They all hit the ball and just started walking.

If I was accurate with my drive I would have hit into them but at this point I knew my round wasn't worth it and just left.

One of them days.....

Sorry man. Been there and it is very frustrating. Keep your head up, and with a little range time you'll be back to hitting the ball well. I know it is hard, but I am a big advocate of staying positive, so I am constantly giving myself and my golfing family members positive thoughts/comments. Confidence is key in golf and staying positive will give you confidence in your ability. On the flip side, if you think you aren't going to hit a good shot, chances are you won't. So my friend, I say stay positive and hit the range and you will be back to hitting the ball well in no time.

As for the group in front of you, I am always quick to say something like, "hey, you guys mind if I play through real quick?" I play by myself often, and haven't had anyone say no yet. If they did, I'm the type of guy who (if it was open) would probably just pass them and go to the next teebox and deal with them later.

Only thing that bothered me was that you said you would hit into them.

Only thing that bothered me was that you said you would hit into them.

Thought the same thing...does not serve much purpose except for possibly hurting someone.

Sorry that you had a bad day out there, but I also agree that you just should have spoken up and asked to play through. Worst they can do is say no. Hopefully one of the six some has the common sense to know that you would be out of their way in no time at all.

OK let me say this that I would never hit into anyone on purpose. I guess the way that I meant to have it come out didn't. I apologize for that.

I was more angry at the fact that someone wouldn't acknowledge that there is one person behind them. I shouldn't have to ask to play through. They should realize that they are going to be playing much slower and let someone play through.

A couple of things from this thread as already mentioned I don't agree with hitting into anyone. I noticed you said old guys for both groups and as an old guy I would like to point out that it is not just us, I play a lot by myself and anyone from 8 to 80 may fall into the category of a course hog, not just old guys. JC, I have been refused when asking to let play through a couple of times, needless to say, I simply follow them down the fairway after they tee off and proceed to the next tee. I don't get confrontational, I just move on, not worth a hassel when you are playing alone.

It was a fact that it was two groups of old guys.. I wasn't in any way/shape/or form stereotyping old guys not letting young people play through. I'm sure there are young/middle aged men/women doing the same thing. I was simply stating a fact the the groups of people that were playing in front of me are old guys.

I was having a bad day playing realized it wasn't worth it and just went home. (should have said just that) Instead I had to type before I thought about it and now i'm dealing with the repocussions

It was a fact that it was two groups of old guys.. I wasn't in any way/shape/or form stereotyping old guys not letting young people play through. I'm sure there are young/middle aged men/women doing the same thing. I was simply stating a fact the the groups of people that were playing in front of me are old guys.

I was having a bad day playing realized it wasn't worth it and just went home. (should have said just that) Instead I had to type before I thought about it and now i'm dealing with the repocussions

Eh shake it off dude, hard to tell tone and intent from little black letters on computer screen. You'll hit the ball better next time out and all will right in the world.

If that don't help, well you live in an awesome place. I love that part of the state...well honestly I love the whole freaking place, other than Boone :)

I had an instance like that recently. Had a half day at work and decided to get a round of golf in as soon as I got off. Get to the course and get stuck behind a group of guys Older than me....

Anyway we are standing in the fairway waiting for the 1st two holes. Catch up to them at the 1st par 3 and they were dragging. After they all tee'd off, one guy looks over to me and says " I'm moving as fast as I can...." He was walking and it was starting to heat up.

After 9 holes and three hours later, the only thing I could think was " I hope I'm able to still play golf at those guys age" God bless em. You get stuck behind all ages out there.

Back