just what you need....another new driver lol

hey buddy i can assure you i wont spend my money on that one lol. Ping drivers have never really done anything for me

I think PING's stance is that custom fitting is key. once you're fit into the best performing driver....why change? the majority of players don't have the experience or expertise to make the changes to the face angle, lie/loft, etc that would best benefit their game.

I fit people every day for new equipment. I have found that very very few are interested in adjustability. they want something that works for them....without question. There are a few that are genuine tinkerers and are always adjusting and making changes....the new technology has made it easier (and cheaper) for them.

I have to agree. I still think a good number of people with adjustable, will just screw themselves up at some point because they can't leave well enough alone. Ping has always done well in the fitting area and once you know what you need, just have them build it. If conditions change, you need to adjust your swing, not the club.

Ping has also done well in my book of just keeping things simple. Fancy graphics and fancy names will not help you get the ball in the hole. I like their "working class" style.

I don't really like the looks of this as of now. I hope they make some changes before an official release.

I agree with you that custom fitting is the key, but if they want to claim more market share then wouldn't they release something that caters to those that want that feature (even if they don't use it). Heck, for a marketing standpoint a customer (layman that is a casual golfer and not very informed) walks into a golf shop and the salesman is going off on the latest in adjustability et al and then goes to the Ping that's at the same price and one might say he/she gets more features for the money he/she is spending on the adjustable model. We all know that's not the case but to the casual consumer it is (like buying a car with a ton of features you're not likely to use or see).

I don't know SD, but I just see Ping in their equipment as being plain Jane. The one iron that interests me is the Anser forged but from a looks standpoint it looks very much like their previous lines all snazzed up and their price point on that doesn't cater to the average consumer as well. Don't get me wrong, they're a great company with a great following but I wish they would push the boundaries just a bit more and step outside the box every once in a while.

I agree with a lot of what you haw mentioned. I look at it from a different perspective though. Pushing the boundaries just for the sake of pushing them? They have the technology for adjustability, it's in their fitting system. They choose not to offer it to consumers because their custom fitting stands on it's own. I'm okay with that. Obviously if someone is dead set on having the technology, there are plenty of superb options for them. I find it interestig that Callaway all but abandoned adjustabilty on the retail side. And square heads.

sometimes current technology might not be all it's cracked up to be.

just my opinion.

Never really been a Ping guy and really won't start now. Although Bubba plays with them I can't ever really seeing myself consistently playing with a Ping driver and enjoying it.

Or maybe that "market: a rant" thread is wearing off on me..

I hope they do this in the future.....or at least have plans for it. I mean if Titleist can embrace that tech with how staunch its followers are, why can't PING?

I don't mind classic lines and functionality but sometimes Ping looks like they stop somewhere between classic and modern flash. It's like they try to play both sides of the fence and the only ones that end up liking it are Ping enthusiasts. Oh and in a day and age where companies are seeing the benefit of adjustability, it looks as if Ping decided to forgo that again. Very much like what a lot of folks are saying about the Callaway drivers.

come East my friend and try my combo platter....ddec always asks it out on a date when he plays with it and I've seen OEM and G4L lust after it too....
I really like the looks. The G15 was a favorite driver of mine actually. The draw model was awesome. Loved the K15 but didn't care for it's stock shaft. The G15 I hit had the Adila Serrano? I can't remember exactly. This reminds me of the look the Cleveland Drivers have. Not the same at all just have that same kind of feel to the look I guess.

No offense to Ping but that's about as exciting looking as their previous releases. Like watching paint dry.

would it be better if it was white paint drying?

To me it looks a lot like the k15. Anybody know if they will be doing a i20?

That would be awesome man. I've heard people speak of this combo and it intrigues me.

come East my friend and try my combo platter....ddec always asks it out on a date when he plays with it and I've seen OEM and G4L lust after it too....

That driver gets around. Hanks you are such a pimp. Haha :D

I don't think adjustability is necessary for a good driver. I'm more interested in seeing the shaft they put in it.

I don't think adjustability is necessary for a good driver. I'm more interested in seeing the shaft they put in it.

while i agree with you 100% on this, for me it does have to be adjustable, but there are plenty of good drivers out that arent adjustable past and present.

while i agree with you 100% on this, for me it does have to be adjustable, but there are plenty of good drivers out that arent adjustable past and present.

If you found a driver/shaft combo that fit you, but wasn't adjustable, you wouldn't buy it? Isn't the point of adjustability to find the setting that fits you best?

I don't think anyone was saying that at all, merely that they were surprised that adjustability hasn't been offered yet by PING for it's drivers. or any club in it's lineup for that matter regardless of how good their fitting system is or not

Ping is way behind when it comes to drivers and shafts IMO. Poor standard shaft offerings but a great head.

Tapatalk: better on the iPad

My K15 looks better in person. Still, it is not what I would call pretty. At address is when it looks like it starts to mean business. And I can't argue with the results. Best driver I have ever owned without a doubt. Much of it has to do with the shaft I think. Ping stuff is ugly, but most of it works well.

edit: Biggest problem is people don't take advantage of the customization they offer. Yes you have to wait to get your club. Yes you have to pay for a premium shaft or custom grind. But much of what they do only costs shipping and inexpensive material costs. Dollar for dollar Ping clubs do cost more than most others. They also have high resale value. No one says you have to take the made for Ping shafts home with you. Any shaft on the rack from ANY OEM is a static offering, whether it is a high end Miyazaki or junky no name shaft. It still has to fit your swing.

Not a Ping fanboi here, it's just a shame only a small percentage of Ping users seem to take advantage of the ownership benefits.

Last edited:
If you found a driver/shaft combo that fit you, but wasn't adjustable, you wouldn't buy it? Isn't the point of adjustability to find the setting that fits you best?

adjustability is just that....finding the ideal combo. but the marketing to the masses is such that they are also selling it as "adjustability to compensate for conditions". there are VERY FEW amateurs who will benefit from those options.

PGA Tour players go to the van for glued clubs. I wonder why that is?

G20 is very interesting. definitely K15 technology. I still want to see one at address....and put the right shaft in it for my massive ball spin...lol.

if im being honest no i wouldnt buy it if it wasnt adjustable. Yes it is but its also the ease of switching out shafts, getting a higher/lower ball flight depending on the weather/wind, it also helps with when you dont have a ton of time to fix a swing issue you can adjust it to help get you back on track then once you get your swing fixed just adjust it back to where it was. Im not saying people should buy them to cover up swing flaws but lets face it not everybody can spend tons of time on the range or getting lessons to fix their issues. There are allot of valid reasons why i will only play adjustable, im sure somebody that is oldschool wont understand it but hey cant make everybody happy lol

Maybe it's just me, but I just don't think having an adjustable head in their lineup is that important. They can sell a head that is closed or open just the same. I think they'd be much better served to focus on shaft options. Cally doesn't have an adjustable driver, but they are pretty highly regarded. Cobra has an adjustable head in the S3, but the shaft takes more heat than anything (at least on message boards, whether deserved or not). How many people are really fine tuning the S3?

I think commercials make us think we need adjustability when we really just need a driver that fits our swing.

adjustability is just that....finding the ideal combo. but the marketing to the masses is such that they are also selling it as "adjustability to compensate for conditions". there are VERY FEW amateurs who will benefit from those options.

PGA Tour players go to the van for glued clubs. I wonder why that is?

G20 is very interesting. definitely K15 technology. I still want to see one at address....and put the right shaft in it for my massive ball spin...lol.

So your telling me all the pros actually play a glued version of the adjustable drivers? I seriously doubt that.

I hear ya dude....I think the stock shaft is designed to work well with the club for the most part but almost any aftermarket offering will make this thing really work. assuming that the put the same type of shaft that's stock in the K15
Ping is way behind when it comes to drivers and shafts IMO. Poor standard shaft offerings but a great head.

Tapatalk: better on the iPad

it took a while for me to like the looks of it as well but when the results start to appear all of a sudden it looks sessy
My K15 looks better in person. Still, it is not what I would call pretty. At address is when it looks like it starts to mean business. And I can't argue with the results. Best driver I have ever owned without a doubt. Much of it has to do with the shaft I think. Ping stuff is ugly, but most of it works well.

if im being honest no i wouldnt buy it if it wasnt adjustable. Yes it is but its also the ease of switching out shafts, getting a higher/lower ball flight depending on the weather/wind, it also helps with when you dont have a ton of time to fix a swing issue you can adjust it to help get you back on track then once you get your swing fixed just adjust it back to where it was. Im not saying people should buy them to cover up swing flaws but lets face it not everybody can spend tons of time on the range or getting lessons to fix their issues. There are allot of valid reasons why i will only play adjustable, im sure somebody that is oldschool wont understand it but hey cant make everybody happy lol

I'm not old school. I just don't think adjustability is as important as people think. That said, I do love how easy it is to put a new shaft in the R9 if you have another one tipped, though I don't think it's as easy for some of the other companies (since they don't make adaptors readily available). I also do think the Z Star system is helpful for up and down ball flight.

Back