BulldogsGolf

Future PGA Professional
Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever met someone or multiple people who thought golf was just the dumbest possible thing someone could do? I hate this. A pet peeve I guess, but some people have no idea what it takes to hit that "little ball in the hole." :at-wits-end: Mostly (in my school) it is the football players and some other of the students who just kinda wanna sit around and do nothing. I think golf makes them think too much. I love it. So how about you. Got any stories of people who just didn't like golf and no matter how much you told them about it, they thought it was dumb? I once got told golf was a "fat sport." That cracked me up. :D
Do you think that people just don't care? Not that everyone doesn't have a right to their opinion, but I'm talking about the people that just keep bashing our sport.

BulldogsGolf

I used to catch heck all the time. Then I brought my clubs to school and let my classmates give it a try. It became apparent that they had never hit a ball in there life, and were dumbfounded by how difficult it is.

I used to catch heck all the time. Then I brought my clubs to school and let my classmates give it a try. It became apparent that they had never hit a ball in there life, and were dumbfounded by how difficult it is.

I have thought about doing this actually. Every fall, we have 2 half days where we do a "Career Day" and a "Hobby/etc." Day. They let students sign up to teach a course if they want. I may see if another guy from my team wants to do this.....

I love the people who call Golf not a sport. Just because your not coming in contact with another person doesn't mean it's not a sport besides the same argument could be made about baseball. But I personally have never come across someone who HATES golf, just people who don't prefer it

My brother....

His motto is "A day of golf is a day of fishing wasted".

Lots of people feel that way. I know I dont care. I love the game.

I just tell them that it's the hardest game in the world and when they can check their egos at the door to give it a shot. I always warn them though that golf WILL humble them.

But here's where I may (unintentionally) invite criticism from my fellow THP'ers. Personally, I don't view golf as a sport in the sense of it being a purely, athletic endeavor. I view it more as an acquired skill.

I played football, baseball, basketball, and hockey growing up. I view them all as sports in that athletic ability goes a long way toward defining success. Whereas with golf, where athletic ability is beneficial, it's not vital. The most athletically disinclined individuals can learn to groove the proper mechanics necessary to play good golf.

Case in point, my wife. NOT AN ATHLETE. Love the woman to death but her hand/eye coordination and athletic motor skills are pathetic. A few years ago, she got the idea to learn the golf swing as she felt golf lent itself well to business.

She only took a series of 5 lessons where they built her swing from the ground up, stance/grip/posture/etc. She worked a bit at it and in a very short period of time, she had the makings of quite the decent golf swing. This, from a woman who although had 100's if not 1,000's of catches with the kids with various toys, balls, frisbees, etc... never developed the athletic ability to catch a single item if not by complete accident. And throwing? Geez, no degree of direction nor repetition ever had her motion look any better than a sudden and significant surge of electric shock sent to her shoulder and arm. :wink:

So, I'm sorry, my fellow THP'ers... but due to the fact that I've beared witness to my wife's athletic ineptitude for 18 years yet saw her form a golf swing in 5 short weeks... golf, in my mind, is a skill. Like darts or billiards but a whole heckuvalot more fun and challenging. :smile-big:

WMac19--I agree with you. When I was young (under 23), I didn't view golf as much of a sport. I was a football, basketball, baseball and track athlete and I chuckled when I saw "old guys" ride around in a cart and hit a little white ball. But now I an one of those "old guys" (53). I love the game of golf maybe because I loved competing when I was younger. So Bulldogsgolf-don't worry if the kids at your school don't consider golf a sport or golfers athletes. When many of them are older they will try golf and some will fall in love with it-just like you. Work on your game-it is your passion now and they have other passions.

Back