A Day at The TaylorMade Performance Lab in Olympia Fields Country Club, Illinois

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
home_crest.gif

As most of you already know I was selected to play in the Morgan Cup this August for Team Hackers and sponsored by TaylorMade. I was very excited to be chosen to compete in this event, and even happier to be picked for TaylorMade's team. Their options at driver, irons, wedges, through the whole bag are world class and it is truly an honor to be able to represent such a respectable company.

A few weeks after learning my sponsor, i began a search for fitting options. I am horrible at deciding what I should play myself. I went through a fitting at a local shop early last year - and was fit into a set of Nike Machspeeds. I later learned that the lengths and lie angles were not adjusted at all and I was about 95% sure I was not in the right clubs for my swing or size.

I decided then that I would find the best TaylorMade fitter I could, and spend the money on a premium fitting out of pocket. I would have their experts tell me what I should be playing, what length I should be at, and what my optimal lie angles were. There are so many shaft options available to us just at the Driver slot alone, it was intimidating to try and narrow it down to just ONE option without atleast hitting a few of them. I then decided I would make the trek to the nearest TaylorMade Performance Labs and go through their extensive fitting process via the MAT-T system.

The closest location to me was Chicago. Olympia Fields Country Club just south of Chicago to be exact. About a 4-5 hour drive. I first sent an email over to the TMPL guys and asked specifics -what it involved, how much time was needed and available. The head manager of TMPL, Brad Syslo, sent me a reply the next day answering all of my questions and then some. He said he could get me a reservation at the hotel inside Olympia and gave me a few dinner options. I set an appointment for 8am Tuesday morning the 7th of June.

I read as much information as I could on the site before I left. (http://www.tmplabs.com/) Packed an overnight bag - grabbed some shoes and hit the road.

I arrived around 8 pm Monday - got checked in to my room in the hotel there. It was unbelievable! The country club had been built in 1915. The porter showed me the grand banquet and ballrooms with original hardwood floors from 1915. It was huge and awe-inspiring.

The first look at the Country Club and I knew I was in for a special trip.
olympiafieldsclubhouse.jpg

Olympia Fields Country Club

IMG_1337.jpg

Grand Banquet Room

IMG_1335.jpg

Foyer/Meeting Room

I went out for the best Pizza I've ever had - and headed to bed early for what proved to be a once in a lifetime experience on Tuesday.

I headed down to the Lab about 7:30 - to get acquainted with my fitter and warmup. Greg Slack -Master Club Fitting Professional met me at the entrance: a Vault of sorts leading into the holy shrine of the Lab itself.

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

The Vault Door - that protects everything that is TaylorMade

Here's the station the Fitter is sitting at while I was hitting balls.
IMG_1245.jpg

A club-building station - R11 !!!
IMG_1293.jpg

Some Displays with the new Matrix Ozik HD Program Graphite Iron Shafts
IMG_1247.jpg

Some putters next to the putting green.
IMG_1243.jpg

So Gregg starts by explaining what we are going to be doing, He hooks me up to atleast a dozen sensors. Afixing some to my feet, legs, hips, arms, wrists, and head. Then we use special clubs with sensors on them too. A 6 iron, a wedge, a driver, and a putter. As we take swings –the cameras catch our movement and digitize them into a computer animation. That the fitter then looks at and points out areas I could work on.
IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

I have a sway back on my takeaway – that I was taught through my swing coach at Golftec. He wanted me to get my weight transfer back and through. But when I saw it on the animation – I never knew it was that dramatic. Gregg was very patient and spent some time working on a few drills with me to eliminate that – and to get me striking down on the ball.
The other problem area is my posture. I crouch over – and stand pretty far away from the ball. Mainly because the Nike irons ive been gaming are too long – so it’s the only way for me to address. We make some changes – and Im standing much closer to the ball than I ever have before – and lo and behold I smoke some 6 irons. Dead center of the clubface.
iron_summary.jpg
the printout explaining my 6 iron shots and dispersions, as well as launch conditions
He asks what kind of problem areas I have – and what I normally shoot. I mentioned I haven’t hit a good hybrid in months, I’m not confident in my long irons, and I’ve developed this Hook off the tee. He looks at some more video and explains some of the problems I’ve described and some drills to fix it. Mostly its that big sway I have – it leads to poor contact.
I have never been a “digger” more a “sweeper” and I have never taken large divots at all. So with a hybrid, I sweep – and never really compress down. This is my big duck hook left that never gets off the ground with the hybrids. After viewing the animations – the MAT-T system computer spits out a “Custom Fit” Recommendation page.
IMG_1257.jpg

Here's the video of the computer animations:

It contains a complete bag makeup – with certain lofts, lie angles, even length. It is the job of the fitter to verify these suggestions –a nd assemble a bag. Gregg starts shoving all kinds of R11 heads, Fairway wood heads, shafts, irons and wedges into this Sweet looking R11 Bag. He’s assembling irons for me demo, drivers, just about everything the computer suggested. Once he’s done packing it up – we head out to the range to hit some more shots and see what ball-flight we have.
Once at the range we start with the 6-irons. He has me hit the Burner 2.0 a few times, which I have hit several times before. But the burner comes standard pretty long, at 37.625”. Gregg wants me a ½” shorter on these – so he sets one up, and I hit the best 6 iron I’ve ever hit with the Burner 2.0. We had the Lie angle at 1* upright. Which was a surprise to me because my Nike’s always sit toe up at address. Leading me to believe I need Flatter lie angles. Well that was because of my posture and the long nike iron. With the shorter club – at impact – the computer measured me at 1.3* toe down. So the perfect setup for me was ½” shorter and 1* upright. It felt so smooth hitting this shots.
IMG_1271.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

Gregg had me first hit the lighter weight Nippon NS PRO 950 steel shaft in the reg flex. The lighter weight, 94.5 grams, was a far cry lighter than my old S300’s weighing in at 130grams. The Dynamic Golds also were a low launching shaft, while I prefer a higher ballflight. With my slower swing speed – the lighter Nippon’s were a nice fit for the Irons.
Next he put the Tour Preferred Cavity Back head on the Nippons and I began hitting them next to the Burner 2.0. I’m not really sure which one I would choose at this point and it’s good I don’t have to make that decision. I felt the Burner 2.0 definitely had more distance, but I couldn’t really feel the ball leave the face. It launched higher and farther than the CB but the lack of feel left me wondering.
The cavity back head on the other hand – had a great feel to it. I got decent height on it – higher than my nike’s ever did. And was hitting the CB 6 iron consistently to 175 yards. Mishits out on the Toe, I could definitely feel in my hands – and knew it wasn’t a pure shot. Whereas the Burner 2.0 does a good job of hiding this, I think I got more distance with the Burner 2.0 on these Mishits.
We also tried a little lighter steel shaft – the KBS 90 – weighing in at 90 grams for the Burner 2.0. I think between the two steel shafts – I would go with the Nippons. Better launch and more spin, and more height – which is what im after with my irons.
I wanted to try a graphite shaft for the irons too. We tried the stock Fujikura TP 90 shafts in the CB head. I hit several shots –and I really liked the feel of it. It had good kick – launched higher than any of the steel shafts, and weighed a little less at 84g. I think there is definitely room for consideration on my next set of irons.

Now I was really warmed up and ready to go with the driver. This was the most exciting part of the testing for me as I knew there were so many options to weigh in on. I loved the R11 at the THP outing – but I didn’t test out the different shaft options available through TaylorMade. There are 19 if I counted right.
We started off with the R11 at neutral – and the stock Blur 60 in reg flex. I could feel it kick and I think the ballflight was a little too high. It felt like it might kick too much. Eventually Gregg set my ASP to Open to get me a little more launch.
Gregg swapped out shafts and put in the Aldila Rip Beta 60 shaft. I could feel it hold up to the swing a little better and I was getting decent ballflights out of it. Lower and more penetrating. I liked this shaft but I felt I could use a little better ballflight – and maybe a little more weight.
Next up was the Matrix X-CON 5.0. After 3 hits I probably would have gamed this one in a heartbeat. I loved the feel – the feel at impact was FANTASTIC. I cannot really describe it but it felt like it just released all this energy and the ball flew off the clubface. I got what I thought was perfect ballflight and it flew forever. But Gregg wanted to try a few others – and I stored this into my memory as my favorite so far.
We hit the Matrix Radix HD6 – which I thought felt good – but not as explosive at impact – it launched it a little lower than the previous shafts – so def wasn’t for me.
We hit a Project X – which was just ok to me – I didn’t really care for the feel – it felt kinda stiff.
And then we hit the motherlode. The Mitsubishi Diamana Kai’Li 60. At 54grams – it was lighter than some of the others – and it just felt perfect. I would have stopped at the XCON 5.0 – but i hit this several times and the flight was a more boring penetrating drive. Lower than the XCON 5.0 – and it flew forever. I didn’t want to put it down! I hit the XCON 5.0 again – just to be sure – and sure enough it exploded off the face – but the KAI’LI was it for me. Great distance, great ballflight, and great feel. A fantastic shaft.
We then tested the fairway woods – Gregg already knew I struggled with hybrids – so he brought a 4 and 5 wood we hit. I loved the 3wood – and I have always had lower ballflights with my fairway woods –so Gregg put the Matrix XCON 5.0 in these – and I was hitting high bombs off the deck. It was an eye opening experience. I hadn’t hit a fairway wood off the deck for so long – to see these ballflights – I just feel in love. Id been trying to find a perfect hybrid for me – on those 200-220 yard approaches – when I should have tried a 5wood again. I hadn’t gamed one in 10 years. My sweeping stroke is perfect for a fairway wood and it was nice. I love those XCON 5.0 shafts. Man its going to be hard waiting for these to get in!

To round out the top – we hit a few hybrids – to take care of a 3-4 iron. Rather than bag 2 hybrids – Gregg decided to put a driver, 3w, and 5w in the bag – then just 1 hybrid – and 5-PW in the irons.
We hit the Rescue 11 in a #4 – 21*. I struggle to hit down on these clubs – I sweep like a fairway wood – and don’t get a strong angle of attack – so we worked on that – and Gregg gave me some drills to work on – and I started to hit them “OK”, and after finding a nice high launching shaft – The Matrix ALTUS HB 80 – I was getting some high hybrids for a change. We’ll see if I can carry that over – I just hate that I struggle so much with what some say is the easiest club to hit!

To finish off our rangetime – we hit the XFT Wedges. Gregg went through the bounce explanations for me – make sure I understood it all – and showed me the “C-GRIND” on the 60* wedge. It pretty much has the toe and heel ground down – so the sole looks like a “C”. When you open the wedge in the rough – you still get a nice help from the sole – and it allows it to “CUT” through the rough more effectively. Pretty cool to see it in action. I really hadn’t heard of that before. I liked the feel of the wedges, its going to take some time on the range to really dial em in. We had the KBS Hi REV wedge shafts in there – nice and heavy – and I preffered the heavier shafts in the wedges.
A very interesting part of the fitting was the putting. I thought about skipping this section altogether since we had already ordered our Morgan Cup putters – but I figured – im spending the money on the fitting – I may as well let the computer and fitter analyze my stroke and see what it tells me.
So the computer says I should game a face balanced putter like the Corza or the TM-770! HAHA. I ordered the Heel shafted TM -880. Which I love – and Gregg had me hit the corza and tm-770 a bit for fun. After hitting them both – I didn’t feel comfortable at all – and went back to my Maranello and felt right at home with it. So even though the computer recommened a face balanced putter – I feel most comfortable with mine and that is what matters with the flatstick.

We packed up the bag- and headed back to the TM Vault. Gregg typed up the specs and handed me my CD and packet with all my information in it, and Brad mentioned we should tee it up – and play the North Course. No way I was going to turn that down – so Gregg asked Nick, a PGA Student intern at Olympia Fields, if he wanted to play with us – and we got our little threesome together and headed back to the range so they could warm up.

What followed next was an absolutely UNFORGETTABLE round of golf, on one of the most difficult courses I’ve ever played. It was in prime condition no doubt about it.
Teeing off on one I was pretty nervous. It was a 542 yard Par 5 – protected with some sick bunkers. I cream a Drive down the right side and catch a fairway bunker – hit out with a 7 iron, hit a 6 iron just short – chip- up and 2 putt for a bogey. Ill def take a bogey on that hole.
OF2par4.jpg
Olympia Fields #2 Par 4 430 Yards
Manage bogey on 2. And step up to 3. A 410 yard blind drive – with water about 300 out, to an elevated green, with bunkers protecting every miss on the approach. The #1 handicap hole.
OF3par4.jpg
Olympia Fields #3 Par 4-410 Yards
OF5par4.jpg
Olympia Fields #5 Par 4-347 Yards
OF6par3.jpg
Olympia Fields #6 Par 3-164 Yards
OF7par4.jpg
Olympia Fields #7 Par 4-400 Yards
Hole #8 is an amazing hole. The winds blowing in our face. Gregg and Nick are playing from the tips – both at Par, and +1 so far. Its playing 247 yards to center. Protected up front with sand. Nick hits first a monster 3 wood that’s tailing to the left bunker. Gregg pulls driver and says, okay High Cut – and hits it pure – to 15 feet from the pin. It was an UNBELIEVEABLE golf shot. I walked away impressed as he drains the 15 footer for birdie.
OF8par3.jpg
] Olympia Fields #8 Par 3-197 Yards
OF9par4.jpg
Olympia Fields #9 Par 4- 433 Yards
OF9par41.jpg
Olympia Fields #9 Par 4- 433 Yards
OF13par3.jpg
Olympia Fields #13 Par 3- 150 Yards
OF14par4.jpg
Olympia Fields #14 Par 4- 420 Yards
One of my favorite holes, the 15th at Olympia Fields plays 576 from the tips – im lucky at 550 from whites. I hit a nice drive down the fairway to about 260 – step up with my new love, r11 3W, and hit a easy shot to 240, laying about 50 out – I hit an easy pitch but just front of the green. I putt up – and tap in for my 3rd consecutive par. The best string of holes on my day.
OF15par5.jpg
Olympia Fields #15 Par 5- 550 Yards
OF16par3.jpg
Olympia Fields #16 Par 3- 175 Yards
A gorgeous finishing hole. 496 from the tips – a par 4, 485 for the whites a par 5, and 468 for blues – par 4. Interesting.
I scream one down the fairway – laying 220 out – I hit a hooked hybrid left of the green – chip over the green from a bad downhill/sidehill lie – chip back and one putt from 10 feet for par. A great number on this beast of a hole. 45 coming home, 49 out – for a 94. Not a great score – but definitely acceptable for such a tough course.
OF18par5.jpg

olympiafields.jpg
My last picture as im leaving for the drive home – the back of the range – with the clubhouse in the background.

A truly memorable day, one I will not soon forget. I cannot thank Gregg and Brad enough from TaylorMade performance Labs. The experience alone there was truly amazing. Being able to hit everything I wanted, and pick the absolute best weapons for the Morgan Cup will give me every ounce of confidence I need to take on my competition. I have faith that they put me in a much better position than I was before I left. I am so grateful for the opportunity they provided me. It was truly an unforgettable day.
Another special thank you to Olympia Fields Country Club, both for their hospitality and the round of golf. It was a fantastic day, a fantastic course, playing in prime conditions, and I wont soon forget the round of golf I was able to play there. They really know how to run a course – it was immaculate. I hope some day ill be able to get back there and play the South Course, as I hear its even harder than the North!

And in closing, I want to thank TaylorMade Golf and THP for giving me the opportunity to play in the Morgan Cup. It is an honor to be able to represent such fine companies and I know at the end of it all – Team Hackers will bring home the CUP!

If you are in the market for a fitting- or near Chicago I would highly recommend a fitting at the TMPL. it was an unbelievable experience.

The knowledge and peace of mind you walk away with is second to none.

They are extremely knowledgeable and there is no other fitter that compares to the guys at TaylorMade.

Last edited:
What an experience cg. I am jealous of you getting fit for you MC clubs. Great read and well written. Maybe you have a future as a reviewer for THP ;)

Tappin the keg!

What a write up buddy! Sounds to me like that experience was worth every penny. THanks for taking the time to share pics/video/thoughts with us.

Fantastic posts Matt! Had a blast reading about your experience.

that sounds so ace would love to try something like that will have to wait till i get a job though lol, nice write up aswell and you have to love the pics and videos.

Wow, great write up and very jealous indeed. Had never really considered shafts before but think when I get my new driver I might have to have a think about shafts

great writeup, what an awesome experience you were able to go through. Course looks AMAZING!

What a fantastic experience. Thanks for sharing

Great write up. Thanks for sharing sounds like a great experience and a perfect day.

Great write-up Matt...I'd been impatiently waiting to read it since you got back. Glad that you had a great experience.

Thank you for sharing that truly memorable experience. I second your statement that TM is second to none in their fitting experience, they know what they are doing and take pride in putting the customer in the best possible fit. It sounds like you really got your money's worth and good luck with the new bag of TM's and good luck in the MC.

Wow. What a write up.

So detailed and an abundance of pics. Thanks a lot! This post really makes me want to go out to one of the TMPLs to get a fitting before any new club purchase.

Great writeup and it sounds amazing. I may have to make my way up there sometime to check it out.

WOW - just read through everything from the fitting to the course time. That is definitely an unforgettable experience as you said!! Congrats for making that happen and I hope it pays off for your in have Taylor Made equipment (pun intended) for your swing!

awesome write up! the fitting seems very in-depth and hopefully your game seems improvement from proper clubs to fit your game.

Great write up CG13. I really liked all of the information you got out of the fitting. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the total fitting? What irons did they recommend in the end too?

Course looks awesome and the fitting looks out of this world. Thanks for sharing buddy. Nice round too. Especially with two very good players and a strange, difficult course.

Great write up! I knew that you would have an awesome experience at the TMPL like I did, but you got the added bonus of getting to play a US Open course! Also, it looks like we're going to have the same driver shaft in the bag for the Morgan Cup, should be interesting!

Damn Matt, you're living the dream. Now you gonna get rid of that nike crap? :D

excellent write up CG! looks like the trip is completely worth it and a bonus round of golf on a course like that? very sweet!

I want to go now!!!

However, I just got new Taylormade gear... I've always wanted to go to a place like this that REALLY knows their equipment uses technology to make suggestions.

Wow. Great write up. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. That sounds like an awesome experience.

Really enjoyed reading that CG. Looks a truly unforgettable experience and so glad that the good people from TM treated one of the staffers like their own. Extremely proud to be associated with this company!

To top it off you got to play a course that's hosted a US Open, good for you! Sitting here just extremely jealous but happy for you at the same time.

Back