Lewshus

Reaction score
Handicap
golf
This past weekend I went out to play 18 on my home course with two very good friends of mine. Lately, I have been really grinding trying to get my game to a point where I'm happy. The day was flawless, the company was wonderful but I didn't have any fun at all. I shot a 112 on a course that I have played hundreds of times. My two buddies shot in the 120's and had a blast. One time my buddy flubbed a chip shot that nearly went in the hole. He was jumping up and down and having a great time. Had I done that, I would be thinking more about how I hit the chip fat. I have been practicing so much that it has made me slow as I have so many swing thoughts in my head that it almost paralyzes me.

My wife told me that if I'm not having any fun that maybe I shouldn't play for a while. I'm actually giving that some thought. I'd like to know what thoughts you guys have.

I try to remind myself that at the end of the day, golf is a game and games should be fun. I do get drained sometimes and usually take some time off and find myself having fun and striking the ball better when I return.

Serenity now!!

This past weekend I went out to play 18 on my home course with two very good friends of mine. Lately, I have been really grinding trying to get my game to a point where I'm happy. The day was flawless, the company was wonderful but I didn't have any fun at all. I shot a 112 on a course that I have played hundreds of times. My two buddies shot in the 120's and had a blast. One time my buddy flubbed a chip shot that nearly went in the hole. He was jumping up and down and having a great time. Had I done that, I would be thinking more about how I hit the chip fat. I have been practicing so much that it has made me slow as I have so many swing thoughts in my head that it almost paralyzes me.

My wife told me that if I'm not having any fun that maybe I shouldn't play for a while. I'm actually giving that some thought. I'd like to know what thoughts you guys have.

I will tell you what I did to overcome the exact same thing. I stopped keeping score for a few weeks. I found that I was so worried about my score that I had forgotten how to just play and have fun. Next time out if your buddies want to keep score let them keep the card so you can't see it at all. Just make your shots and crack jokes with you friends.

I will tell you what I did to overcome the exact same thing. I stopped keeping score for a few weeks. I found that I was so worried about my score that I had forgotten how to just play and have fun. Next time out if your buddies want to keep score let them keep the card so you can't see it at all. Just make your shots and crack jokes with you friends.

I've heard this works very well:)

It is easy to get burned out, and after years ( 5 or 6) of literally playing golf every day of the year when I played competitive junior golf, I simply stopped playing. Didn't play, didnt even pick up a club during college, and only very recently took the game up again.

I enjoy it more now because golf is really a serene and relaxing experience, even if you are playing bad, there are many worse things you could be doing with your time!

The few days where I do feel a bit burned out I just stop playing, but usually just remind myself how blessed I am to play this great game in a free country, and that usually does the trick.

Take a week off and maybe play nine holes, and I agree with the other guy, don't keep score. Just have fun. You will probably play better being relaxed like that, too.

IMO there is never any downside to taking a break. Sure, your game may get rusty but mentally you will be fully rejuvenated.

It's a mental thing. If you get down on yourself for a bad shot, or even a good shot that you dislike, it's going to bring you down and you start over thinking. Relax, have fun, and realize that you aren't going to play in the Masters anytime soon.

I keep score just for my handicap and to measure my progress. Really helps me out and when I see that I am improving, I feel better overall about my game.

Yup, don't even ask what your halfway score is. Get a journal and write down all the good shots you made. Read it regularly. Forget your mistakes and take away things that need practice.
Spend more time practice putting.

I totaly (as many others do) completely understand and feel the frustration. You can take time off and weather it be a week or a month and that may work, we never know. But the truth is when we press and put alot (too much) on ourselves (try too hard menatlly) in this game it can hurt us. I've tried harder this year than any other, golfed more, practiced more, even lessons which i havnt done in years so i know what your feeling as i went backwards even with the extra efforts. very very frustrating indeed.

But then I discoverd a new logic and state of mind which i posted about in another thread. Perhaps, just perhaps this may help you too. When things arent going well I dont "try harder" to fix all. I actually simply "try easier".

Just let it go, become less intense instead of more, concentrate a bit less instead of more, have fun with it, completly relax and swing like a weak baby. Once striking better balls and feel comfy again i then go back to my more normal swing. During these few swings or for even an entire hole or so (how ever many strokes i feel i need to do this) I lose alot of distance (perhaps club and a half or so) but its worth it and then shortly its back to normal. This has really helped me now for last three rounds I've tried it. Has minimized the duration of the self implosion helping me pull out of it faster and has lead to fewer of them.

Over all its made the game more enjoyable, less frustrating (not 100%) but alot less. and has kept my score from balooning like it was prior which in turn means a happier day. It may not be easy to do but once done one time it then becomes easier. The worse it gets the easier i play. You have to not give a crap if your 7 iron only goes as far as your normal 9i. Its just temporary for a few strokes and at least the ball is safeely in play and the hole can still be made without a complete self implosion. Has worked magically for me so far.

Good luck, and whatever you do I really hope you pull out of it and have moe fun.

A bad day of golf still beats a good day at work for me.

:alien2:

You just can't take it too seriously; after all, you aren't making money from playing golf. So, it's just a game. Chances are, the more you just go out to have fun, the better you will play. I used to take it too seriously when playing for my high school team, and it hurt me. After taking some time off and coming back to the game, I just went out and didn't care what I shot. I was instantly playing well, just enjoying being out. I'm back now to practicing a couple times a week to try and improve, but I make sure I don't get frustrated. Just go out and enjoy myself. It wouldn't be interesting or as fun if you shot the exact same thing every time out! It will just make the next good rounds feel that much better.

I usually always have fun. But I also strive to improve so I can have even more fun! Being able to work the ball and perform some short game magic always makes a good day of golf into a great day of golf. But even if I shoot a crappy score I have fun because I am spending time with my friends.

Thanks for words of wisdom guys. I needed to hear them. I like the idea of not keeping score and swinging like a weak baby. Lol

And I definitely need to work on my short game. Bladed about 5 short pitch shots and had 3 4 putts.

Sent from my galaxy s4 using Tapatalk 2

I just remind myself that I will be taking a nature imposed five month break sooner than I think, and I better be thankful that I can just play golf!

I find golf less "fun" when I impose unrealistic goals on myself - have to shoot low 80's, have to par certain holes, must win the "closest to the pin" contests, take no more than 2 putts every hole, etc...

For me, enjoyment comes when I can stay focused on the current shot, and not worry about the previous or next shot.

Golf is supposed to be fun, unfortunately it isn't always!

I would just echo some of what's already been said. Whenever I find myself pressing and getting frustrated due to how I'm playing, I have to remind myself that I'm doing it to have fun and just being out there is what it's all about. Focus on the good shots you hit, not the bad ones. The tips about not keeping the score card are good, although I know that even if I'm not holding the card, I can't help but track it in my head anyway. I know it's difficult, especially when you're dedicating so much time to improving, but you just have to make sure you have fun above all else. The more fun you have, the better you play anyway.

What would make the game more fun for you? If you executed swings perfectly but shot 110 would it be fun? If you puked every shot but scored 80 would it be fun?

Last edited:

I did this exact thing and for me it worked.

What would make the game more fun for you? If you executed swings perfectly but shot 110 would it be fun? If you puked every shot but scored 80 would it be fun?

Strangely enough I think i would have more fun shooting 110 but executing every shot perfectly. Because I think technique and proper ball striking will hold up over a lucky 80.

Quit thinking and play golf. That's what the golf course is for. Save your thinking for the range.

I have to agree. My good friend and my golf instructor both commented that I put too much pressure on myself and it causes tension which leads to bad shots. So I started going out by myself for evening practice rounds just trying to relax and not think about score or how I was hitting the ball and after a week, all that tension just started disappearing. And then my game really started to improve, which relaxed me even more.

I went out today in my work clothes and shot my best round ever. I went out with no expectations and just wanted to play a relaxing round with an old friend. I was even Par after 7 holes, but then tripled a hole. I would have normally just lost it after that, but hit the next drive right down the center because I wasn't even thinking about that triple bogey after I wrote it on the scorecard.

Relaxation is the key. I even found that I'm not as tired or sore after walking rounds anymore. That tension was just tearing me up.

Back