Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Titleist Opinion

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,921 Posts

My Titleist Opinion

Nobody asked for my opinion on Titleist, but I'm giving it anyway. After reading the "One Word to Describe Club Manufacturers" thread, here, I noticed that titleist got railed by the members here at THP. I saw a commercial over the weekend from Titleist regarding their club fittings. I was sitting next to my mother and she said, "I thought Titleist only made balls. Do they make good clubs?" I sat and thought for just a second. My answer was, Titleist is at the same time, very bad for golfers and very good for golfers.

They are very bad because none of their lines really have anything for the high-mid and high handicappers. The catagory that I believe makes up a majority of golfers. The AP1 is nice, but it isn't as easy to hit as the A7OS from Adams or the Slingshot Irons for Nike. Their clubs are expensive for people who struggle to break 55. As nice as the 910D2 is, it isn't as forgiving as the K15 from Ping. The Vokey wedges are nice, but is an amateur going to hit that wedge better than the wedges that come with their thick soled irons? Titleist has Scotty Cameron putters, many of the weekend duffers I know don't see the value in any putter that isn't 10 years old. All in all, Titleist doesn't have equipment that is geared towards the majority of golfers.

They are really good because the equipment they make is really nice and provides a lot of options for the mid to low handicap amateur. Between the AP1 and AP2 irons, they have a lot of forgiveness in a compact iron that would fit that handicap group's eye. Then the CB and MB irons offer a true players iron. Lots of workability and little forgiveness. The 910D2 and D3 offer many shaft options with the heads that are geared towards golfers with a more consistent swing. The 910F and 910H are both excellent clubs with a ton of performance, great custom options, but with less forgiveness than other OEMs offer. The Vokey wedges offer a lot of loft and bounce options. Something that better golfers look at. All of which are expensive offerings from Titleist, but no more expensive that Mizuno's, Nike's, Taylormade's, Ping's, or Callaway's players irons. The 910D is the same price as the R11, Razr Hawk, the VR Pro, and only $50 more than the S3.

Many golfers do not fit into Titleist's equipment. Titleist offers a lot of good equipment, for people who know how to use it, however. So, Titleist is both really bad and really good for golfers.
    917D2
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 15
    Apex Hybrid 20
    Tour V6 Irons
    Mack Daddy 4 W Grind 50, 54 & 60
    Custom MySpider Tour
    Chrome Soft
    Tour X

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    Nobody asked for my opinion on Titleist, but I'm giving it anyway. After reading the "One Word to Describe Club Manufacturers" thread, here, I noticed that titleist got railed by the members here at THP. I saw a commercial over the weekend from Titleist regarding their club fittings. I was sitting next to my mother and she said, "I thought Titleist only made balls. Do they make good clubs?" I sat and thought for just a second. My answer was, Titleist is at the same time, very bad for golfers and very good for golfers.

They are very bad because none of their lines really have anything for the high-mid and high handicappers. The catagory that I believe makes up a majority of golfers. The AP1 is nice, but it isn't as easy to hit as the A7OS from Adams or the Slingshot Irons for Nike. Their clubs are expensive for people who struggle to break 55. As nice as the 910D2 is, it isn't as forgiving as the K15 from Ping. The Vokey wedges are nice, but is an amateur going to hit that wedge better than the wedges that come with their thick soled irons? Titleist has Scotty Cameron putters, many of the weekend duffers I know don't see the value in any putter that isn't 10 years old. All in all, Titleist doesn't have equipment that is geared towards the majority of golfers.

They are really good because the equipment they make is really nice and provides a lot of options for the mid to low handicap amateur. Between the AP1 and AP2 irons, they have a lot of forgiveness in a compact iron that would fit that handicap group's eye. Then the CB and MB irons offer a true players iron. Lots of workability and little forgiveness. The 910D2 and D3 offer many shaft options with the heads that are geared towards golfers with a more consistent swing. The 910F and 910H are both excellent clubs with a ton of performance, great custom options, but with less forgiveness than other OEMs offer. The Vokey wedges offer a lot of loft and bounce options. Something that better golfers look at. All of which are expensive offerings from Titleist, but no more expensive that Mizuno's, Nike's, Taylormade's, Ping's, or Callaway's players irons. The 910D is the same price as the R11, Razr Hawk, the VR Pro, and only $50 more than the S3.

Many golfers do not fit into Titleist's equipment. Titleist offers a lot of good equipment, for people who know how to use it, however. So, Titleist is both really bad and really good for golfers.
    I think that was very well said! I see it that way too, I just didn't quite know how to phrase it.
    Driver: G20 Bubba Long in Pink
    Woods: R11
    Rescue: Rescue 11 3H
    Irons: R9
    Wedges: TP XFT 52*; 58*
    Putter: White Hot Sabretooth
    Balls: e6
    Bag: C-130 - Orange/Black/Silver
    Cart: 2.0
    Headcovers: Custom Orange, Grey & Black Knitted

Testing Golf Balls for and Vision

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 23_lw View Post
    I think that was very well said! I see it that way too, I just didn't quite know how to phrase it.
    I had to think about how I wanted to say it. It's not that I dislike Titleist. I just have not found a piece of equipment that I had to have.
    917D2
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 15
    Apex Hybrid 20
    Tour V6 Irons
    Custom MySpider Tour
    Chrome Soft
    Tour X

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree, I haven't hit anything that really works from me from Titleist. Although, I have been lusting after a Scotty Cameron putter for a while.
    Driver: Cleveland Launcher 270 XL Fairway: Cleveland HiBore 3w 5w Irons: Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland CG15 52 CG14 56 Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Handicap
    my swing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,371 Posts
    I can understand what you are saying, Titleist has kind of an "elitist reputation" kind of like Cadillac does for cars. I will say that my favorite set of irons I ever owned was a set of DCI Golds, too bad they got stolen.
    XR 10.5 Project X LZ 6.0
    J40 3+ Graphic Designs Tour AD-DI 6 S
    V Series Heavenwood Mittisubishi Bassara 52 Stiff
    4 Hybrid Project X Stiff Graphite
    XR 5 Hybrid Project X Stiff Graphite
    6 -SW Speedblades Speedblade 85 Steel Stiff
    Smart Sole 58* wedge
    Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I am eating crow! I like the driver.
    In my TMX Staff Bag
    Driver- R11s Matrix 7M3
    Fairway- R11s Kai 'li
    Hybrid- RBZ 3H
    Irons- AMP Forged
    Wedges- 52 & 56 ATV
    Putter- Ghost 110
    Ball- zstar or penta 3&5
    Glove- Hirzle Feel
    Finder: Bushnell Hybrid
    Transport: Clicgear 3.0

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I've hit tons of Titleist equipment, use to play a 975J & 905 driver. Both were great when I was swinging well. I tested the AP1 & AP2 and both were just flat out shorter than almost everything else I tested. I don't make those sacrafices. I have no problem with Titleist except for one: the don't respect of appreciate THP's testing/demo day policies, and subsequently, we rarely have the opportunity to try their stuff without sales reps present.

I am in sales, it's my job to "SELL" you. That's what they want to do. I don't like that, not when everyone else isn't doing that.
    WITB:

Spoiler
    Driver: XR Pro
    3wood:
    D300 19* Hybo: FyBrid
    Irons:
    X Forged (Like Phil)
    Wedges:
    Mack Daddy 4 (50/60)
    The Flat-Stick:
    Metal X #7
    Tour B330

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Outside of golf balls or Scotty putters I have never really tried a piece of Titleist equipment. I don't know why, they were just never on my radar... Until this past weekend a friend of mine just got the new 710 MB Blades and I got a chance to hit them... I didn't want to give them back! Excellent feel, perfect trajectory for me (he had the PX shaft)... Extremely surprised!!! Both because the were blades and because they were Titleist...

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TC View Post
    I've hit tons of Titleist equipment, use to play a 975J & 905 driver. Both were great when I was swinging well. I tested the AP1 & AP2 and both were just flat out shorter than almost everything else I tested. I don't make those sacrafices. I have no problem with Titleist except for one: the don't respect of appreciate THP's testing/demo day policies, and subsequently, we rarely have the opportunity to try their stuff without sales reps present.

I am in sales, it's my job to "SELL" you. That's what they want to do. I don't like that, not when everyone else isn't doing that.
    I was aware of their hostilities towards THP. I was looking at them from outside of the forum here. To me, it doesn't cause any problems that they don't participate with the Demo Day.
    917D2
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 15
    Apex Hybrid 20
    Tour V6 Irons
    Custom MySpider Tour
    Chrome Soft
    Tour X

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Titleist does their own thing. It works for them. Not every golf company has to be run the same way. When I was younger and stronger, I loved their forged irons, Mizuno too. Now they're a little out of my swing league. I don't hold that against them. I've played their drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids. Had good success with all of them. I think the 910 looks like a hell of a club. The balls are top of the line. Footjoy shoes and gloves are as good as anything out there. Scotty putters are wonderful pieces of equipment. They get a lot for them because people are willing to pay for them. They would be doing their shareholders a disservice if they sold them for less than the market was willing to bear.

I think the "eliteist" label they get tagged with is silly. They offer a limited line of products. That's their business model. There are certainly plenty of options from different OEMs for those that feel Titleist products don't work for them.

I don't get the hate.

Kevin
    Horrible stories often start with the phrase, "We were hiking."

Driver-TaylorMade R11 10.5* Matrix Xcon 5 Stiff
    3W-TaylorMade R11 15.5* Rip Beta 70 Stiff
    Rescue-TaylorMade R11 21* Matrix Altus 81
    Irons-TP CBs, 4-PW, Nippon 950 Stiff.
    Wedges-TaylorMade xFT, 51-08, 56-12, 58-09, KBS Hi-Rev
    Putter-TaylorMade Corza Ghost
    All clubs left handed and courtesy TMaG and THP. Thank you very much.

Handicap
    13.6 GHIN
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,578 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    I was aware of their hostilities towards THP. I was looking at them from outside of the forum here. To me, it doesn't cause any problems that they don't participate with the Demo Day.
    I dont think Titleist much cares about the demo day, because as has been said before they have that "elitist" attitude. Me being a mid-high handicapper have never considered Titleist, but it seems they make good clubs
    WITB Thanks to the generosity of and

GBB 10.5 with Aldila Rogue 70 or Hashimoto
    816 3 Wood with Aldila Rogue 70
    GBB Heavenwood with Aldila Rogue 70
    Apex 4H
    Apex CF16 5-AW with Recoil 110s
    MD3 56W and 60W with Recoil 110s
    Works Tank Cruiser #7

Junior Golfer
    Handicap
    1-100
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I put my ego in check, and instead of maybe having the coolest wedges or a putter I'de be terrible with, I have nothing titleist in my bag except balls.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,921 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Slice View Post
    I put my ego in check, and instead of maybe having the coolest wedges or a putter I'de be terrible with, I have nothing titleist in my bag except balls.
    I read that and immediately got confused. Are you saying that instead of buying Titleist equipment, that you would not successful with, you would rather buy equipment that was designed with your handicap in mind?
    917D2
    GBB Epic Sub Zero 15
    Apex Hybrid 20
    Tour V6 Irons
    Custom MySpider Tour
    Chrome Soft
    Tour X

_____________________ Craig Mac's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Esox View Post
    Titleist does their own thing. It works for them. Not every golf company has to be run the same way. When I was younger and stronger, I loved their forged irons, Mizuno too. Now they're a little out of my swing league. I don't hold that against them. I've played their drivers, fairway woods, and hybrids. Had good success with all of them. I think the 910 looks like a hell of a club. The balls are top of the line. Footjoy shoes and gloves are as good as anything out there. Scotty putters are wonderful pieces of equipment. They get a lot for them because people are willing to pay for them. They would be doing their shareholders a disservice if they sold them for less than the market was willing to bear.

I think the "eliteist" label they get tagged with is silly. They offer a limited line of products. That's their business model. There are certainly plenty of options from different OEMs for those that feel Titleist products don't work for them.

I don't get the hate.

Kevin
    VERY well said Kevin

The Obstacle is the Path Fairway2Green's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I really don't understand why Titleist gets this reputation. I assume it comes from the fact that most of "those guys" are Titleist guys, but they make great clubs and they aren't all made for scratch golfers. It just seems to me I've read so many comments on here from people that automatically dismiss Titleist equipment, because "they don't cater to us regular golfers". I'd say you're doing yourself a disservice if you're truly trying to find the clubs that work best for you and you dismiss Titleist before comparing them to other OEMs options.
    Z-Star with Dromos shaft
    Z-Star 15* with Dromos shaft
    Mashie M2 and M3
    Vr Pro Combos Courtesy of &
    MP t10 52* & 58*
    Tiffany Center Shafted

to THP and Nike for the incredible opportunity to test the VR Pro Combos.