Cheating In Golf? Interesting Article!

I played with a guy who fluffed every lie and generally had a very laid back take to golf. He said that he wasn't playing for money, wasn't keeping score, and didn't really care about how he "shot". He came out to have fun and enjoy his retirement and if he had more fun playing from a tuft of grass instead of a ratty lie in the rough, who am I to judge. For what its worth, he was a blast to play with and would do it again in a heart beat.

Rules of golf.
Rule #1- Have fun.

I played with a guy who fluffed every lie and generally had a very laid back take to golf. He said that he wasn't playing for money, wasn't keeping score, and didn't really care about how he "shot". He came out to have fun and enjoy his retirement and if he had more fun playing from a tuft of grass instead of a ratty lie in the rough, who am I to judge. For what its worth, he was a blast to play with and would do it again in a heart beat.

Rules of golf.
Rule #1- Have fun.

I play like that guy! I rarely keep score or look for lost balls. The only time I keep score and try to play serious golf is with my little brother. I just enjoy being away fro the Monkey Disco for a bit.

I play like that guy! I rarely keep score or look for lost balls. The only time I keep score and try to play serious golf is with my little brother. I just enjoy being away fro the Monkey Disco for a bit.

Every time you say the monkey disco I chuckle a little bit. I have been to Gatlinburg several times and I know right where your store is... You probably sold me a t-shirt back in my youth.

I don't know guys. I would tend to separate outright cheating from the golf equivalent of fish stories. Artificially lowering your handicap ain't gonna' help you very much when you need it. I would be more amped up at the crowd that artificially increases their handicap, people that know they are playing better than their handicap indicates and keep it that way so that they can use strokes that they don't really need and don't deserve. Someone had a post on that here a few months ago. I think there are way more funny stories about people cheating than there are people actually cheating at golf.

I agree. My club pro and I were talking about this subject last fall. He has been a PGA pro for 45 years and he thinks there are a lot more people increasing their handicaps or "sandbagging" than those that post lower scores than actual score.
The sandbagging is the reason I no longer play in a golf or bowling league. In my golf league last year, as a true 12, I could not beat anyone hardly that was a 10 to 16 (they always played much better) and I could not beat the true single digit players because they were truely better than me week in, week out. No room in the league for a 12.

Every time you say the monkey disco I chuckle a little bit. I have been to Gatlinburg several times and I know right where your store is... You probably sold me a t-shirt back in my youth.

Ya never know. If you make it down again stop in. I might be able to sneak out and play a round with you at the Gatlinburg Golf Course. Cheating will be optional. Lol. Of course if you don't play by the rules, you really can't break them.:angel:

Back