Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

TC if they accidentally send you a RH one.....I'll give you my address and will pay for shipping hehe

If they send him a right handed one I'll drive down myself to "test" it ;)

I spent a good two hours at the range this afternoon and I spent most of my time hitting hybrids to compare the Mashie with a few other hybrids. These are the hybrids that I compared:

1. Cleveland Mashie M3 (20.5*) - Miyazaki C. Kua 59 Series Hybrid Stiff (62g)
2. Mizuno MP CLK (20*) - Mitsubishi Fubuki Stiff (84g)
3. Taylormade Burner Rescue (19*) - Stock Burner REAX Shaft Stiff (60g)
4. Tour Edge Exotics XCG V (18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD Stuff Flex (72g)

Feel:
This is the first area where I think the Mashie stands out. To me, the Mashie is the first hybrid I've played that feels more like an iron than a wood. In contrast, the Burner, TEE and Mizuno all feel more like fairway woods. With the Mashie I get the feeling that I'm compressing the ball like a well struck iron shot. So far, I'm a fan of the feel.

Sound:
For some, sound and feel are closely related as one tends to effect the other (in reality or subconsciously). However, because of the unique sound of the Mashie I decided to list it under it's own heading. The sound of this club is fantastic. It's tough to describe a sound with words, so I'll just say it sounds exactly how I'd want a hybrid to sound. The TEE and Burner that I tested sound much more like fairway woods, while the Mizuno has a very muted (almost dead) sound. The best way to describe the sound, to me, is like a well struck iron shot.

Performance:
My shot dispersion was similar with each club that I tested, but where the Mashie really shined for me performance-wise was it's trajectory. If you're looking for a high launch and a penetrating ball flight, look no further than the Mashie. I found myself consistently launching the Mashie higher than the other three hybrids, with no loss of distance whatsoever. In fact, only the Mizuno was a bit longer than the Mashie for me. High launch in a hybrid that is used as a long iron replacement is a key factor for me, and the Mashie does not disappoint in this area.

Summary:
In my opinion, if you're in the market for a hybrid, you'd be crazy not to at least give the Mashie a look before deciding to buy any other hybrid. With great looks, sound and feel, and with the stock Miyazaki shaft, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better hybrid.

Great info, AHA. I also love the sound. It's much lower in pitch than many hybrids I've used. It doesn't have 'ting' sound and is definitely more iron-like. Good comparison.

Great write up AHA. You are finding very similar results to what I have been seeing. I absolutely love regular old consumer testing. I think the best part of this entire test was that this club got its hype based solely off of that. It was not hyped by marketing, reviews, or anything else. It has been hyped because 50 golfers got to try it out at the outing (along with every other club on the market) and it was favored by a LARGE margin by many.

Now we are getting to see it put in play by even more people. This is a very telling test of equipment and one that I am really looking forward to following.

Great write up AHA. You are finding very similar results to what I have been seeing. I absolutely love regular old consumer testing. I think the best part of this entire test was that this club got its hype based solely off of that. It was not hyped by marketing, reviews, or anything else. It has been hyped because 50 golfers got to try it out at the outing (along with every other club on the market) and it was favored by a LARGE margin by many.

Now we are getting to see it put in play by even more people. This is a very telling test of equipment and one that I am really looking forward to following.

+1

I'm really looking forward to everybody's thoughts on the versatility. My opinion is that one of the most important qualities of a hybrid is in its usefulness all over the course. I for one was amazed at how well I was able to hit the ball out of the rough with it. I REALLY liked my other hybrids, but they don't even come close when it comes to hitting the ball out of the rough.

Nice review AHA.

I know that high ball fight and penetrating flight don't seem to go together, but my experience from the outing was like yours: with the Mashie you get both. We were hitting into a 20+ mph wind at the Outing driving range, and the Mashie shots were cutting through the breeze better than any other hybrid I hit, even though the launch was nice and high. I suspect that has a lot to do with the excellent shaft. I think Mashies will be excellent for long par 3s and "go for it" shots on the par 5s. I can't wait to play them again.

great stuff AHA!

AHA,
I appreciate your write up and comparisons, I have a burner hybrid myself and was wondering how the mashie compared to it.

The other guys can chime in with their thoughts, but I would recommend listening to the interviews we did with Miyazaki shafts and hearing what they have to say about it. Talking about high end shafts in general and why they are different.

Thanks JB, its probably me being blind, but I cant find it, can you give me a link. I would really like to listen to it

Thanks !!!

Great review AHA!

Since it's really windy here today and I'm not going to make it to the range , I thought it would be a good time to introduce the other hybrids that I'm going to be using for comparison purposes this week. I plan on comparing the following 4 hybrids:

1. Cleveland Mashie M3 (20.5*) - Miyazaki C. Kua 59 Series Hybrid Stiff (62g)

2. Mizuno MP CLK (20*) - Mitsubishi Fubuki Stiff (84g)

3. Taylormade Burner Rescue (19*) - Stock Burner REAX Shaft Stiff (60g)

4. Tour Edge Exotics XCG V (18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD Stuff Flex (72g)

Despite the differing lofts, I have used each of these hybrids as a 3 iron replacement in my bag.

Let me know if you have anything specific you'd like me to try with each club for comparison purposes.

Aha is that a real deal Fubuki in the Mizuno or is it a made for?

Great write up! I am excited for this club to come to market, so I can pit it against my own hybrid (which I love).

great stuff AHA! i like that you are putting the mashie up against the other hybrids you have experience with. sounds like it's knocking them off quite easily. i'm not going to lie, hearing about how high the mashie launches the ball, i'm a little concerned as i'm a fairly high ball hitter anyway. the lightness in the shaft shouldn't be too tough of an adjustment as i think the 2.0's have lighter shafts than i've ever been use to. hopefully, it will work better/be receptive to a smoother, even tempo'd swing.

can you elaborate a little bit more on the "high penetrating" ball flight? i'm assuming that it gradually gets up to it's max height or does it just seem to get up there quickly?

tia AHA, you're doing a great job so far man.

Could someone try for a course comparison between the Mashie and the Baffler Rail?

Thanks!

Could someone try for a course comparison between the Mashie and the Baffler Rail?

Thanks!

If you check out the original Mashie thread, I have done that comparison. I can summarize here though to make it easier. They sole looks similar, but to me, that is where it ends. The shaft alone makes the Baffler pale in comparison in terms of feel and consistency for me. Nothing wrong with the Baffler at all, its a good hybrid for many, but I found the shaft lacking in comparison by a pretty large margin.

I have to agree with JB on this one...usually the hype machine has a huge impace on people's perceptions but not in this case...here, the Mashie is setting and exceeding it's own expectations.

Aha is that a real deal Fubuki in the Mizuno or is it a made for?

It's the stock shaft for the new Mizuno CLK...so it's made for Mizuno by Fubuki.

great stuff AHA! i like that you are putting the mashie up against the other hybrids you have experience with. sounds like it's knocking them off quite easily. i'm not going to lie, hearing about how high the mashie launches the ball, i'm a little concerned as i'm a fairly high ball hitter anyway. the lightness in the shaft shouldn't be too tough of an adjustment as i think the 2.0's have lighter shafts than i've ever been use to. hopefully, it will work better/be receptive to a smoother, even tempo'd swing.

can you elaborate a little bit more on the "high penetrating" ball flight? i'm assuming that it gradually gets up to it's max height or does it just seem to get up there quickly?

tia AHA, you're doing a great job so far man.

Thanks TC. As for the high launch, so far I'm attributing it to the lighter shaft (which I also think has a softer tip than I'm used to). The ball flight gradually reaches an apex and drops softly from the sky. I described it as penatrating so as not to confuse the flight with a looping flight because the distance and penatration has been excelent.

If you check out the original Mashie thread, I have done that comparison. I can summarize here though to make it easier. They sole looks similar, but to me, that is where it ends. The shaft alone makes the Baffler pale in comparison in terms of feel and consistency for me. Nothing wrong with the Baffler at all, its a good hybrid for many, but I found the shaft lacking in comparison by a pretty large margin.

Hmm I'm really going to have to go try different shafts in the same club to see what differences they make. If only I could make the outing.

Thanks TC. As for the high launch, so far I'm attributing it to the lighter shaft (which I also think has a softer tip than I'm used to). The ball flight gradually reaches an apex and drops softly from the sky. I described it as penatrating so as not to confuse the flight with a looping flight because the distance and penatration has been excelent.

sounds perfect! thanks for the reply as well. i think it's great how well it's working for you. other than the grip, anything not agreeing with you?

very nice stuff AHA. What you said is kind of what I remember when testing it at demo day compared to other hybrids.

Hmm I'm really going to have to go try different shafts in the same club to see what differences they make. If only I could make the outing.

That is a great start. The beauty behind this one is that if one were to put this shaft in another hybrid, the cost factor comes in. I think that is one of the reasons that makes this club so special. Someone would have to be absolutely in love wiht a club head to skip over the head and just go for the shaft. If the head were junk and the shaft was awesome, I could see making the case, but for me, it performs so well as a unit. Okay, enough rambling.

One thing I didn't mention in my earlier post was my impressions of the shaft. Overall, I like the shaft in the Mashie and I think it's a pretty high end shaft to include as a stock offering, but I should point out that I find it less stiff than the stiff flex shafts in my other hybrids. The international flex code in my shaft is 4321 and, in a perfect world, I would have had the opportunity to try both the stiff and the x-stiff prior to choosing because the x-stiff has an international flex code of 4433 which I think I may have preferred. My driver has a Miyazaki shaft with an international flex code of 4433 and I love it! I'll be sure to demo both at the THP outing in May prior to adding any other Mashie's to my set.

Back