Which Hybrid Iron set is best? Cleveland HB3, Adams A70s or Cobra S3 Max.

gransolo

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking at going to a hybrid or partial hybrid iron set. I am a young 60 with a 22 handicap (once a week golfer). I find I am having more trouble hitting the 3, 4 & 5 irons consistently and would at least like to introduce hybrids in that area. I would also like to "error-proof" my game , if possible to get more consistent (forgiving) hits. I have encountered an annoying shank problem, not this season yet thankfully, which I think is aggravated by the offset of my irons. I've noticed that hybrids, like fairway woods do not have this offset and my thinking is that this will help a bit. The shot will not be solid but hopefully will not go drastically right on me.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Cleveland HB3, Adams A70S and Cobra S3 Max. Which of these sets might offer the best results and most consistency. I am currently using Ram Fx oversize cavity back irons. I would like to add abit of distance also. Thanks for any tips regarding these sets.

Honestly, all three are very solid sets. It really will boil down to your personal preference. I prefer the Adams OS irons, but don't really like the hybrids. Can you try them all out?

Only one of those I have hit are the Cleveland HB3's and they were very nice I would recommend trying those out in a heartbeat. But I agree with Hawk, you need to try them all out and see which you like better.

I have the adams a7os hybrids, they are nice. I find that i need to remember to swing slower with them than with my normal irons. When i do have the tempo down they really hit well. The 5 hybrid is my around 220 club.

Between those 3 sets I would go with the Cobra's. But have you considered the Wilson Staff Progressive Combo set?

Check out the Nike VR Pro Combo Iron set also. I have never hit it but I have heard really great things about it.

Check out the Nike VR Pro Combo Iron set also. I have never hit it but I have heard really great things about it.

He's looking for SGI clubs I believe.

He's looking for SGI clubs I believe.

Understand that, just never been a fan of SGI clubs, so offering a similar alternative.

Understand that, just never been a fan of SGI clubs, so offering a similar alternative.

There's nothing similar about it, though. You're talking about a set of clubs with blade scoring irons and small cavity backs. He's looking for something with hybrids included in a forgiving set. Maybe the Nike Slingshots combo set, but not the pro combos.

I have all three here and I can safely say that I did not care for the Cobra S3Max at all personally. I liked the other 2 and almost played the HB3s for a while. Really like those. Also like the Taylormade Burner SuperLaunch.

I have to put in a vote for the HB3's. I have had them over a year now and I love them more every time I use them. I've never hit any irons better, and now that I have gone to an interlock grip, I am one club longer more. One option as mentioned in the post previous to this one would be the TM Superlaunch, these were reviewed on the home page. I hit both of these and there was no question I liked the HB3's much better. Almost feels like cheating compared to how I hit irons before.

I'm not trying to be smarta**, I can see it's not in the 'select from' group, but if you can find em in your price range, the TaylorMade Burner 2.0's are both fabulous to look down on and very forgiving + long...and they come in a hybrid set with a 3 & 4 I believe it is ( I have the irons only and different hybrids).

I had the prev generation of Cobras, S2 Max, will admit it's probably just in my head but I never did hit them very well, the railed sole just psyched me out. The Burner 2.0, I can even hit the 4i solidly airborne and straight.

I know youre a little narrowed on your search, but the redlines can get hybrids to the 5h then 6i. Theyre super long and forgiving.

Don't think you could go wrong with the HB3s. I have hit them outside and they were a blast.

I'm considering the same. I demo'd the HB3s, the A70s, and Taylormade burners and prefer the HB3. Once I got over the weirdness of looking at a hybrid PW I fell in love with the set. Being a high handicapper I've never had that moment where I have felt pure joy swinging a club since my hits are so inconsistent. I had such a moment with the HB3 so despite my lack of funds I am probably going to make the plunge and buy this set. I will say the few short chips with the wedge were awkward and think this set needs to be supplemented with a gap wedge or a more conventional PW.

I am curious why Golf Digest does not include them in the SGI category either as a gold or a silver medalist this year. Seems like a major omission to me.

I am curious why Golf Digest does not include them in the SGI category either as a gold or a silver medalist this year. Seems like a major omission to me.

It is a major omission if you ask me.
The HB3s are an awesome set of irons.

If you haven't ruled them out already, don't look past the Diablo Edge set. I had those last year and they fit what you are looking for-really long and forgiving.

+1 on the HB3s. I picked them up largely based on the recommendation of Smallville and I have never hit an iron better. They are extremely forgiving and just need a nice relaxed swing to really get the ball up there.

ok, I just bit the bullet and bought the HB3s. I have struggled with iron play my whole life and hybrids seem to work for me so here's hoping...
Here's a question for fellow hybrid iron set owners. Do you bring along an extra PW for the short stuff or have you figured out how to use the hybrid around the green?

A hybrid can be a nice asset around the green, but I feel like for me at least its much more difficult than using your PW,SW etc around the green. Maybe check into a Cleveland Niblick to go with your set.

ok, I just bit the bullet and bought the HB3s. I have struggled with iron play my whole life and hybrids seem to work for me so here's hoping...
Here's a question for fellow hybrid iron set owners. Do you bring along an extra PW for the short stuff or have you figured out how to use the hybrid around the green?

I do use my 56* more closer to the greens than I did before. But I still use the PW, just not as often. If I am a ways (subjective) from the green but not a long way, I don't hesitate to use the sets PW. I am learning a lot more shots to play with my 56 than I ever did before and it's pretty cool to hit the ball high into the air but it goes a lot less distance than it goes up.

thanks texas and smalls. Looks like I'll keep my very dated PW and SW and start shopping for higher lofted wedges which I have always lacked anyway. The Niblick thread is a research project btw!

I am putting my vote with the Adams a7OS's since that is what I am hitting. They hit easy and are very forgiving, not to mention you can find them for a pretty good price. Once my game is better I will move away from the SGI clubs.

Back