wutings

Reaction score
Handicap
I did not notice this until someone took a picture of me a few years back, but as I swing through the ball, my left heel sometimes comes off the ground - kind of like doing calf raises. (I am right handed). During my back swing I definitely keep the left heel down, but as I release through the ball the heel raises.

All of the literature I've read on the golf swing says to keep you left heel grounded as you swing through. Does anyone else have this problem or have any idea what consequences it may have? I don't think I always do it, but when it happens I don't really see any difference in the shot.

I hate to say this, but the only pro that I know who also does this is Natalie Gulbis! I guess I swing like a girl! Check on the clip at around the 1:00 minute mark: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOy5qCP1MaQ

I've only heard of people raising their front heel on the backswing, never on the follow through.

Very interesting. You are sort of jumping forward and up when you swing. Does it cause you any problems??

She must be doing something right... I wish I could play like her hehe

Very interesting. You are sort of jumping forward and up when you swing. Does it cause you any problems??

Not that I am aware of. I have a slight fade on my shots, but nothing completely out of control. I'm wondering if this would lead to some kind of power leak. I'm not a big hitter to begin with, so each yard counts for me!

Upon a bit more research, I found that Paula Creamer also does this! What Creamer and Gulbis have in common is a big head dip. I'll have to take some video to see if I am doing the same thing. Perhaps the left heel raises to compensate for the upper body dipping so drastically? Unfortunately I don't look as good as either of them in a golf skirt!

Is it coming up on your downswing or after you hit the ball? If it is before ball contact, I'd say you aren't getting everything into your shot because if your heel is up, most of your weight is on your right leg instead of your left.

I have seen Davis Love III do this from time to time as well.

Okay, please forgive me. Another crazy thing Jim Furyk does. You might be amazed by his swing. You might be aware of his double overlap grip. But no, it is his left heel. At the top of his backswing, he moves his left heel a little to the right and in. I am trying it to get my hips moving before I start down. Most amateurs I see start the hips late, and the hips never get turned through properly.

I do more than raise the heel of my front foot. I raise the foot and turn it toward the target line. It is because for years my front (right) knee was really bad. Now since I got the knee replaced in March I am still turning the foot.

You are on the right track in saying that your foot rises as if you were doing calf raises...because that`s what it is...The instep muscles the allow you to do calf raises are very strong and you must not use them in the downswing they wreck the stability of the forward swing...and keep you from posting up on the left leg....

This is a very good remedy or drill....Set up to make some practice swings with no ball... now and raise the "heel of the left foot about 2 inches" you will be on the ball of the left foot ...now swing into the backswing and you will replace the heel to the ground as you make the downswing...You will quickly learn how it feels to be firm on the left foot through the downswing and your weight will move correctly to the heel of the left foot...Jim

Is it coming up on your downswing or after you hit the ball? If it is before ball contact, I'd say you aren't getting everything into your shot because if your heel is up, most of your weight is on your right leg instead of your left.

I don't think it is coming up before I hit the ball, though if it is it must be happening just before or at ball contact.

I don't think it is coming up before I hit the ball, though if it is it must be happening just before or at ball contact.

I lift my left heel right after impact. Its only a split second right after impact that it lefts up. Perhaps to clear my hips?

Here is a sequence of my swing and you can sorta see what I'm referring to... (sorry for the poor quality but I think you can see what I'm talking about)

Capture-1.jpg

Capture1.jpg

Capture2.jpg

Capture3.jpg

Capture4.jpg

Capture5.jpg

Your whole left foot is rotating to the inside as soon as your left leg straightens because there`s no weight on the heel...your weight needs to be planted left and once it is... the foot won`t move..Its not near as bad... many do it just prior to impact....you are pressing up with your instep and straightening/ locking your left leg....It`s not a big deal other than you need your weight needs to move to your left heel....You see many women do that through impact...they are up on their balls of their feet....Jim

Back