Moving on up: The GI to Forged Evolution

rocketman84

Reaction score
Handicap
So I know I'm not the first, nor will I be the last, to write about moving from GI clubs to forged irons, but I thought I would try and contribute my perspective to THP and my fellow casually obsessed golfers out there.

Until today, for the last 6-7 years, I have been playing Taylormade rac OS irons, Reg DG shafts, Std. length and lie and have been pleased with the overall performance. This afternoon, I received in the mail my custom order Taylormade Tour Preferred MC irons 3-PW, Stiff DG shafts hard-stepped, Std. length and 2degrees upright. Pictures are below. Needless to say, I am beyond excited.
:D

I am making the switch for several reasons. I have a ridiculously high launch angle (hence the RocketMan name) and am looking for something that I can play in all circumstances, including high wind. I am 6'4", 200lbs and swing relatively hard (not pro speed, but close) and so the Stiff hard-stepped shafts should be a welcome change from the stock R flex of my old irons. I am looking for a slimmer topline and sleeker look to my irons, instead of bringing out the "shovels" every time I need to knock it close. I want to be able to work the ball left to right and vice versa more consistently and feel what went wrong when I mishit.

This thread will be my attempt to allow those who are considering the move from GI irons (oversized, perimeter weighted, etc.) to forged irons (smaller profile and topline, more workability, etc.) to follow along with someone who is committed to making the switch and to see the results (good and/or bad) in many aspects of the game. These will include: ball striking, feedback, mishits, distance, overall feel, workability, stopping/spinning power, accuracy, ball flight and any other aspects that readers can suggest.

My goals in this thread are:

1. To improve my game through the journaling of my experience making the switch from GI irons to forged irons.

2. To give THPers who are curious about the pros/cons of switching themselves a chance to see an honest and personal account by a 12-handicap golfer to aid in their ultimate decision.

3. To contribute to THP, which I find to be a pretty amazing resource to golfers everywhere.

4. To give more focus and purpose to my practice at the range and on the course, knowing I have people who might actually read this (yet TBD).

5. To give me any and every excuse to hit with my new clubs!

Here are my new babies:

I have Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize grips

View attachment 2853

View attachment 2850

So pretty
View attachment 2852

Here are my old rac OS's

View attachment 2851

And the new TP MC's...much sleeker and cleaner (got to keep 'em that way!)

View attachment 2848

Taking their rightful place.

View attachment 2849

Please follow along, contribute your thoughts and questions, and give me suggestions for specific shots that you might have trouble with or are wondering about when it comes to GI/forged irons and I will be your guinea pig.

NOTE: This thread will be from DAY ONE of hitting the new forged clubs, so I am anticipating a learning curve as I get used to the new heads, flex and feel. I have had to make lots of little adjustments to my swing to get my R flex irons square at impact, so hopefully these new shafts will help me swing more naturally.

Thanks for stopping by and check back often!

Those are nice clubs Rocket. Everyone has their preference in irons and it sounds like you found some good ones.

Do you think having the S300's hard stepped might make you want to swing harder rather than more naturally? They're probably heavier than what you're used too and I'd be curious how this effects your swing long term as far as a natural, consistant motion. I went from light shafts to heavy and back at light. but more isssues with my wrists and elbows.

Sounds like a fun journey! I hope it works for u

Stay away from cast everything. You want butter, you must go forged.

I think this thread and topic is a great idea. Thanks for wanting to take us all along on your journey. I'm on a somewhat similar exercise - I purchased TaylorMade TP CB irons about two months ago. I'ts been an educational adventure trying to figure out how to develop a consistent swing - something I don't really have after decades of hacking. I'm making progress though!

I wish the best for you in your experience and progress with your new MCs.

I just started gaming my first set of forged, and love them... who cares if they are a couple years old

I now tap while I talk

VERY nice setup Rocketman! I don't have the game yet to step up from the CBs but that is definitely a goal of mine. I'll be interested to read what you have to say about it as you go through it all. Good luck!

This is such a great idea for a topic. I really hope that everything goes well in your transition and I hope one day I can game some irons like these.

Great thread to start and I look forward to seeing how this works out for you. I am starting the EXACT same thing this week and have the same unknowns that you are facing. Best of luck and nice clubs!!

The best thing I did was get me some buttery forged irons. I hardly feel any of the good shots, but ALL of the bad ones.

I've been playing so much forged, even my bag is forged. I can work that baby all over the course.

Liking the new sticks Rocketman, I'll be interested in reading how you're getting on with them, especially as they're such a change from your previous set!

I completely agree. I went from a 16 handicap playing forged to a 11 playing cast. Wait...

Wow, thanks for all of the responses already! I'm glad to see (and am not surprised) that there are others in my position, so I'm glad to do what I can to contribute. I will be hitting the range on Wednesday (have to go out of town tomorrow, ugh) and will begin what I hope will be a very educational and helpful thread!!

Wow, thanks for all of the responses already! I'm glad to see (and am not surprised) that there are others in my position, so I'm glad to do what I can to contribute. I will be hitting the range on Wednesday (have to go out of town tomorrow, ugh) and will begin what I hope will be a very educational and helpful thread!!

I am glad to see your enthusiasm rocketman. Can't wait to read up on your progression.

Great looking sticks there Rocketman! I have hit the MCs and really liked the feel of them. Look forward to your reports

Okay, I will be that guy.

Dont you mean move from GI to players iron?
Not all forged irons are players irons
Not all cast irons are GI

Is this more about moving to a players iron? Or is it more about how a club is made (forged or cast)?

Very nice irons. I would guess from what you have wrote, that you should do well with the stiff shafts. I've been around golf a long time and I remember the days when Karsten Solheim only sold clubs with stiff shafts. I would also guess you will do well with the change to more of a players iron. Look forward to hearing about how they work out. Keep us posted.

will enjoy reading the progress here, as Ive said recently Id like to make a similar jump, but after todays round, maybe not

Looking forward to following this thread. Should be a good read and sweet looking sticks there rocketman.

Is this more about moving to a players iron? Or is it more about how a club is made (forged or cast)?

Dude come on now. All forged irons are playahs irons!

Congratulations, I hit those at the THP outing and loved them.

These guys are kidding a bit about the "forged" vs "cast" (don't know if you caught the John Hoeflich THP interview), but I'm stoked for you.

Did you get fit for the clubs, or did you decide on those specs yourself?

Hope everything works out great for you. I am constantly looking for more forgiveness as opposed to less. I've yet to hit an iron I can't hit (accidentily or on purpose) left or right. I haven't hit everything so there may be something that goes one direction every time. It sounds like moving to a super low launch shaft like you now have will contribute to a lower ball flight. Going to go ahead and say I disagree with your strategy, but I am excited that you are going in with an awesome attitude. And don't let my negativity ruin anything for you. I hit blade type irons forever and I am simply NEVER going back. Not speaking from anything but experience.

Very generous of you to share your journey with the new sticks! I will follow along and maybe learn a thing or two.

I am very interested to hear your thoughts on the change. I recently made a similar change except I stuck with regular shafts. If your experience is anything like mine, you will find that you will hit these much better than your old irons. Good luck on your journey

Hahah yes JB, and thank you for the clarification. I have spent so much time with my GI clubs that I didn't know the proper term for the switch. Yes, this will be a GI to player's iron thread, with my particular irons being forged. :)

Thanks for being that guy, JB ;)

Back