Maruman Shuttle Fairway Wood Preview

Hawk! When you mention easy to hit off the tee and fairway that immediately gets my attention. I know we briefly talked about it earlier but did you notice if on mishits or fat shots the ball made any funny movements?

First range session with this fairway today. Was swinging good, which is always a plus when you are testing a fairway wood.

-It has a little bit of an aluminum bat sound. Louder than most fairways I've encountered.

-Very easy to hit off the turf. Incredibly easy, in fact. The expanded size of the head didn't affect that at all as far as I was concerned.

-Very easy to hit off the tee, too. It just needs to be teed at the same height you'd tee an iron or hybrid.

-Ball flight for me was mid/high and very cool looking. It started off low, and just rose steadily until it peaked and dropped. It was like a missle. So cool.

-I hit it very straight. Far straighter than I expected. I hit a couple leaking fades when I put a bad swing on it. No pulls.

-Seems to be very forgiving, which would make sense. I hit a few out towards the toe. Didn't travel nearly as far as good shots, but the ball still got up and went a reasonable distance.

-Distance was really good. I historically don't hit 15° fairway well or far. I was carrying this over 200 yards regularly, but I can't give exact numbers. For me, that's far. I will report some GPS distances when I get it out on the course.

-I'm bagging it for awhile. I didn't really expect to have as much success with it today, but it was super easy to hit. Wow.

great review hawk, the head does look huge but still looks easy to hit at the same time

That's usually my big miss with fairways off the turf and it was usually just a sinker that didn't go very far. It was really, really straight on clean shots. I'm thinking that some would really get this up in the air as I'm hitting it pretty high and I don't hit fairway woods very high off the ground.

Looking forward to getting this out again tomorrow at the range. It's going for a round on Sunday too. I think I'm going to use it off the tee a little more than normal as I'm playing a tight course.

great review hawk, the head does look huge but still looks easy to hit at the same time

The head size was actually something I've been thinking about. On one hand, it's really big and that gives you that driver-like confidence. On the other hand, there is a lot of club face there to hit aside from the center. So far, missing the center has been surprisingly forgiving. The nice thing is that I would have probably hit the very edge of the toe on most fairways, but it wasn't as extreme with this. Hopefully that makes sense.

Off the tee huh? Man that Cleveland is shaking right now. High ballflight, accurate and forgiving? sign me up dude. Hope you get some Hawkified footage. I love that youre trying these brands most of us would pass over. I really need to be more aware of these when Im out and about.

Off the tee huh? Man that Cleveland is shaking right now. High ballflight, accurate and forgiving? sign me up dude. Hope you get some Hawkified footage. I love that youre trying these brands most of us would pass over. I really need to be more aware of these when Im out and about.

There really are some hidden gems out there. Apparently, Maruman was present at two demo days at least this year hehe. Hopefully they can get their product out there.

I will definitely get a little review footage now that you mention it. The sound is very different. It's loud, but I like it.

I just checked that link out. Looks like they also have quite a few options. Hmmm lol.

I was looking at the tech and it seems like its desgined to fly high, land soft and without a lot of spin. And it works. But what kinda always confuses me is the talk of shifting cog and how that all works but the tech behind this clubs is holding up to your testing so far.

As forgiving and high as youre hitting the wood it definitely intrigues me they have irons as well.

Sent from my Tapatalk App

I think most people would pass on this club purely because of the price.

I saw a few on ebay for a pretty reasonable price.

IMO that is a good looking club. Wow, love seeing non-OEM's on here more and more!

I can't stop staring at this page this club is gorgeous

Tap tap taparoo

I think most people would pass on this club purely because of the price.

I can see a point there, my only thing is if it works as advertised (which Hawk is seeing) youre paying for quality and consistancy. As Hawk said too the Bay is another route to go.

Sent from my Tapatalk App

Great review so far. Can't wait to hear how the round goes, which is always the most critical test.

It is definately a sweet looking club.

Spent some range time with this over the last couple days. Also played with it today. Still getting used to having a 3W in the bag, to be honest. I've played a 5W or nothing since late last season. Wasn't quite as stellar with it as the last time I had it out, but well struck shots were really long for me.

On the course I used it three times. Hit a couple crappy tee shots (pulls), which is my "I'm going to kill it" swing flaw.

The other time was on the fairway on a long par 5 (560 yards). I was way out, but had a good lie and the fairway is pretty forgiving. Took a whack and it was really a great shot. Maybe one of the best I took all day. Same trajectory - Starts low, climbs mid/high, peaks, and drops. My GPS was dead, so couldn't measure it, but I lasered a tree that was near where I was at and it read 210. I'm sure that doesn't sound awesome to any of you, but please keep in mind that my longer drives are in the 230-240 range and this was off the turf.

Looking forward to more time with the Shuttle.

Really sounds like this club is able to compete with all the major releases this year, and maybe a little bit more!

Looking forward to seeing how it settles in after a few rounds.

Thanks for the update Hawk. Even with the pulls was it still a good ballflight? Just trying to get a mental picture of this. If it's as impressive as the Cleveland stuff it has to be good.

Would you ever consider just benching the driver for a round and using the 3w exclusively off the tee?

Thanks for the update Hawk. Even with the pulls was it still a good ballflight? Just trying to get a mental picture of this. If it's as impressive as the Cleveland stuff it has to be good.

Would you ever consider just benching the driver for a round and using the 3w exclusively off the tee?

Pulls got up high, but they were way off. That's 100% due to putting a bad swing on it. When I try to swing hard, I pull. Just like most clubs, a smooth tempo offers the best results it seems.

I'm telling you that this thing makes me want to swing better because it just goes.

I don't think I'd switch it out for the driver since I need all the yards I can get on some holes. I usually struggle with all my woods if my driver swing is off, so it probably wouldn't help (if that makes sense).

Totally makes sense dude. I was just wondering because it seems like it's really forgiving but you sound a lot like me with my misses. Ahh the mid handicap curse!

FW's always interest me because they seem to almost get overlooked at times. You're doing a great job of covering this one. Like the drivers they some of these less recognized names make some kick @ss gear.

Pulls got up high, but they were way off. That's 100% due to putting a bad swing on it. When I try to swing hard, I pull. Just like most clubs, a smooth tempo offers the best results it seems.

I'm telling you that this thing makes me want to swing better because it just goes.

I don't think I'd switch it out for the driver since I need all the yards I can get on some holes. I usually struggle with all my woods if my driver swing is off, so it probably wouldn't help (if that makes sense).

A bit of video from this morning.

I have seen Hawk hit this and its a rocket. Can't believe how huge the head is it looks crazy. Sound is amazing as well.

Testing on this is done and I'll be working on the review over the next few days. I feel bad for the outing attendees that missed this. I also wish they were more available to golfers in the states.

I currently own the maruman shuttle m-sole 3 wood. The head more compact than this. The sound and the result just the same. I also have the maruman shuttle i4000x 5 wood, love them alot.

I currently own the maruman shuttle m-sole 3 wood. The head more compact than this. The sound and the result just the same. I also have the maruman shuttle i4000x 5 wood, love them alot.

If you ever get the chance, I'd love to see some pictures.

Back