Hitting demo irons

Oregon Golfer

#XBomb
Reaction score
Handicap
I am currently saving $ for a new set of irons this fall. Every few weeks I kill a lunch hour by going to Golfsmith and hitting demo irons. Why is it that is seems so much easier to make great contact with demo irons in this situation. It seems like I can do no wrong. I can hit a low flighted shot, high flighted shot, etc... and seem to always make perfect contact. Is it because it's at an indoor range and I can't see the full consequence of the shot? Because the simulated grass mats mask "fat" shots? A mental thing because there isn't a forest on one side and a creek on the other? I'm hoping it's because of the new irons, they feel great compared to my current sets. Anyone else experience this and have thoughts?

I am currently saving $ for a new set of irons this fall. Every few weeks I kill a lunch hour by going to Golfsmith and hitting demo irons. Why is it that is seems so much easier to make great contact with demo irons in this situation. It seems like I can do no wrong. I can hit a low flighted shot, high flighted shot, etc... and seem to always make perfect contact. Is it because it's at an indoor range and I can't see the full consequence of the shot? Because the simulated grass mats mask "fat" shots? A mental thing because there isn't a forest on one side and a creek on the other? I'm hoping it's because of the new irons, they feel great compared to my current sets. Anyone else experience this and have thoughts?

Bingo. Grass mats are so tough to botch a shot on it's really hard to demo irons on a fake mat. That being said, newer technology is coming out and newer stuff is going to possibly feel better than what you have been playing for awhile. Your used to your old irons so getting a change of pace with a great new iron set your going to feel something different. My suggestion is to demo them on grass, it tells all the difference when your actually comparing old to new. You get real distances, real ball flight, real everything.

Probably cause you know you are not buying them or there is no "pressure" from being on the course with your buddies. I am like you I am an awesome range player but I lose a little when I hit the course.

I agree with Rhino, there is no pressure of a missed shot because you know you are just hitting into a net, and the mats do mask fat shots quite a bit.

To me there is no consequence of the shot , no trouble to either side , just a net . Your mind just lets the swing happen IMO ( the mental aspect again ) .
I would see if you can take the clubs out for a round , may be a whole different ball game .

Back