Is Working the Ball Important?

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course?
I do not. I usually play a slight draw, but some days that draw turns into a slight fade. I am not good enough to work the ball as I am still working on getting the basic fundamentals of my swing in place and repeatable.

2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it?
There are some situations where I wish I could accurately fade a ball based upon different factors like slope of the fairway or if there is a tree that is slightly in my way.

3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball?
I do play this and let the ball land/roll as it may or I use a shorter club to avoid the need to shape it at all. Nothing wrong with laying up. If I could accurately work the ball, then I would, but I don't even try (with the exception if I need a huge hook because I can actually hit that shot (Thanks JB))

4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways?
I don't believe so. I have played with low cappers on this site who play a consistent fade or a straight ball. IMO, if you know how to manage a course, you can set yourself up to where you shot shape will work most of the time. But what do I know?

Very, very rarely. I only do this if I have to get myself out of trouble. I do work it up and down though. I am happy to hit it straight 75% of the time. HAHA

I don't work the ball on the norm and if I do, it is because I am in trouble already.

I think players try and work the ball to show off most of the time. It is sorta like the long drive. It works about 15% of the time and the other times it hurts them.

4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways?

I think it can help an amateur get closer to the pin, but I stick to my hit to the biggest part of the green routine. This helps my score out so much more and gets me more GIRs.

Nice topic!

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course? Nope, I try to work with my natural ball shape which is a draw/hook and try to eliminate the right side of the course.

2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? N/A but I can see where folks with high caps would try like severe dog legs off the tee and obstacles in the way.

3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? I think playing your natural shot shape just eliminates some of the thinking behind the swing which for most folks is a good thing. Sometimes the old noodle gets in the way of things where 90% of the time simple is better.

4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? This depends on the aspirations of said amateur golfer. If he/she is trying to make it to the pros then I would think it is necessary. If he/she is just looking to have fun out there regardless if he/she plays tourneys and what not (which probably is the majority of the golfing population out there) I'd say it wasn't necessary.

I mostly try to hit straight unless course or trouble shot dictates a certain shape.My natural shot is pretty straight with 5-10 yard fade.I can hit draws off the tee,but mostly don't try,fearing a big hook.

This is a great topic.

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course? No, my primary concern is focusing on making good contact so it hopefully goes straight.
2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? As my game progresses, I'm sure the time will come when I will want to do it, but I don't have too much need for it at the moment.
3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? As I previously said, I like a straight ball. I know where a straight ball will go. As I get better through, I'm sure this will change.
4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? Yes, but only when the player's game is ready for it. I know myself, I have no business trying to work the ball, because I need to hone in my ball striking first. When the player can consistently hit the same ball over and over, then it is time to try to work the ball different ways. I believe it would help the golfer in the end as they will be able to make the right shot for where they are on the course. There are some instances where you need to fade the draw instead of draw it and vice versa. The golfer who is after the best results and can pull off different shots can reap the rewards, but only when their game can handle it.

I play one shot 95 % of the time and that is a draw which is right to left for a right handed player. I would love to be able to hit a consistent straight ball but it's not in my bag. The draw and sometimes overcooked turning into a hook is a curse when playing a course with doglegs to the right. If I don't have room to fly over the corner then it's a battle for me. I have some success at fading the ball but minimal at best. I would think it would be imperative for a champion amateur or professional to be able to hit the straight ball and have the capability to work the ball when called for. For the hackers I would said learn one shot well and take it to the course. Confidence is a key ingredient in course management and having a shot you are comfortable with is huge IMO. In summary, if you can play the straight ball that's the ticket, if not play what you bring to the dance.

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course? Sometimes

2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? Sometimes the shot calls for it, I tend to use alot of curvature to get out of trouble.

3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? The hardest shot to me is the straight one. If I want to hit a draw into a center pin, ill aim at the right side of the green and curve it left. If it goes straight, not bad, curves a little-good, over turns- still not terrible. I always think straight ball first, but to me hitting it straight as an arrow is harder to do than hit a draw or fade where I cant miss the other way.

4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? Not at all. Some guys on tour cant control working it both ways.

1. I can play a slice when I need to. I prefer to hit it straight, but most of the time it's going to go at least a little right. Playing it to the left (on purpose) just doesn't happen. The only time it goes left, it's a mistake (usually a double-cross off the tee).
  2. If I play it to the right on purpose it's because I have a hole that is a dogleft right or I am in such a bad spot that it's the shot I need!
  3. I do that 95% of the time.
  4. No. Most people I know aren't good enough to work the ball on command consistently.

Last edited:
No, I do not. I go with straight, or what my swing is doing that particular day (If I'm fading everything in warm ups on the range or first few holes, I just play for it the rest of the round).
The ONLY time I try to work the ball intentionally is when I'm out of position and have no choice to get around an obstacle, or off the tee if its a dogleg and I'm feeling really good about my tee game that day.

If ever, it is for course shape.

Again, this is what I do.

Absolutely not. Hitting it straight is always an option on the golf course unless you're out of position from a bad shot. In most cases, even professionals don't have to be able to work the ball in all manners to be successful. For example Kenny Perry only hits draws and he's had a lot of success on the PGA tour.
Now, I believe the elite professionals have always been able to work the ball as desired, but I think it has more to do with their love of the game than necessity in many cases too. And this desire to always work the ball, I believe, gets them in trouble as much as helps them (I'm looking at you Phil, Tiger and Bubba).

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course?I do, but not to the point of hitting greatly exaggerated left to right or right to left shots. I play best when I pick a target to fade or draw the ball over. Fade whenever possible. It's very hard to hit the ball straight. Going with my normal shot sahpe is working the ball in my opinion.

2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? I prefer it. I love to pick a very specific target and take the swing that allows me to work the ball left or right into a good position off that target.

3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? The natural shape shot is the way to go in most cases, but isn't that working the ball? Straight is too hard.

4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? Define "good amateur player". I think so, but some may have a different interpretation of what "good" means.

I'll make one more point. When the term "working the ball" is used, in conjures images of golfers hitting draws and fades, slices and hooks. To me there's a more important way of working the ball, and while it is handy off the tee, it is far more important on approach shots. I feel working the ball also means controlling trajectory and spin. Especially with short irons. I think too many golfers hit the ball too high and allow it to blow all over over course. I think club selection plays into "working" the ball by using trajectory. Too many players take the club they can hit the hardest and fly it in there regardless of the height or spin wailing on it creates.

Being able to hit different types of shots with the same club is the sign of a "good amateur player". And that's working the ball as much as fading or drawing it.

At least in my Packers loving Winter encased, pizza making and eating world.

Kevin

My natural tendency is to play a draw. It's the easiest and most controlled shot that I have. It's also my miss (further left) when my swing gets really loose. I have straight in my bag and I use it when a draw is not in play. The only time I play a fade is with driver, fairway woods and hybrids. For some reason I can work my woods both directions with consistency.
I play a draw naturally. When that shot isn't possible, I attempt to play the shape that gets me to the safest location to give me the best opportunity for my next shot.
I do play my natural shape when possible. I also play a straight ball when it's the best choice.

I believe to be a good amateur player you need to have a solid all around golf game. You need to have a 'go to' shot that you have condifence in. I believe you need to practice your short game/putting twice as much as you practice your long game. Working the ball is a matter of choice. I know plenty of scratch golfers who work the ball one direction. It's all about playing smart. And practice.

If there is a need for it. My natural flight is a draw/hook. I won't attempt a fade if it serves no purpose.

Only if the shot calls for it, to avoid trouble or get our of trouble.

Straight balls are hard to hit and sometimes my natural ball flight doesn't fit the shot.

I think Ben Hogan said straight shots only happen by accident. A reliable shot, whether it be left to right, or right to left is more important but working the ball is definitely an asset, but not a requirement.

Doesnt Gray work his balls in the warmup before winter golf?

...Glad the outing is in may...

I have a question about the responses that JB got and posted in the original post in the thread. Do we think that there is too much emphasis on hitting a draw or is that really emphasis on coming from the inside resulting in a draw? I think there is a good deal of emphasis on coming from the inside and that results in a good many draw players. I don't think there is much emphasis on hitting a draw for the sake of hitting one.

We have folks coaching us to eliminate the slice for example. We have folks telling us that we will gain yardage by coming from the inside and we will avoid the slice as well. Then later when we are more accomplished we have folks telling us that we want to eliminate one side or the other as a matter of course management. If in our early days we have been coached to come from the inside as much as possible many of us are either going to be straight ball hitters or will hit a draw. So, when it comes to that decision to eliminate one side or the other, which side are those draw to straight players likely to try to eliminate?

No, I mainly try to hit the ball straight or play to what is now a natural draw. I started my golf life with a horrible slice. Once I actually had a real golf shot, It produced a natural draw to straight shot. I will only try to work the ball if the risk/reward element is way in favor of doing so.
If the course shape is really pushing the player to shape his shot (meaning a big payoff for making that shot) then I will attempt it or if I have played myself into a position where I have a favorable lie in a bad spot relative to the pin I might attempt it there as well. I might get myself into an odd spot on a course that I have never played before for example.
Well over 90% of the time I will try to play my natural draw to straight shot.
No I don't think it is necessary that you be able to work the ball all ways.

Constantly.

Every shot I hit I envision the best shape shot for the layout of the hole or position of the pin on the green. Even flat, straight courses have preferred areas to approach or putt from. Doesn't matter what club I have in my hands I am always going to try it turn it one way or the other. While it doesn't always work out perfectly it helps me take a confident and assured golf swing.

I find its easier to work the ball consistently than to try to hit it straight all the time. If a shot requires a cut and I hit a cut, its probably going to cut. The same with a draw. Setting up and just taking a neutral swing in order to hit the ball straight is more difficult. I grew up hitting those plastic practice balls in my yard as a kid. I would practice huge hooks and slices around our house. I would build little greens on one side of the house and a tee box on the other side of the house, etc. Working the ball just because the natural way to play golf for me. And I think its more fun as well.

Not necessarily. I've played with many good amateurs who play one shot shape or a straight ball. There are no pictures on the scorecard and at the end of the day we are all trying to get the ball in the hole in the least number of strokes possible. While I believe working the ball can be advantageous in many circumstances so can hitting one natural shot. I find working the ball all ways can lead to two way misses when things aren't clicking. If you play one shot shape you can eliminate one side of the golf course, so your off days can be more manageable.

Just my opinion and mine alone, I think working the ball for most amateurs is overrated. I think straight ball flight and consistent contact are more important. Granted I don't always take my own medicine but in theory that sounds good.

No

yes but I don't/can't do it

I try to

no

1. Do you try and work the ball left and right around the course? Of course. Like someone said earlier, playing golf in Oklahoma and Texas takes being able to either draw or fade to hold a shot against the wind or to attack the pin from the best angle. Plus I can't hit a ball straight.
2. Is there a reason for you to do so (course shape) or just prefer it? It is really more of the course shape to me. If a pin is tucked tight behind a bunker on the right a draw for me is the best shot shape to hit (left-handed). That way, if it doesn't draw then I'm in the middle of the green.

3. Why not just play your natural shot shape or a straight ball? See answer #2.
4. Do you believe to be a good amateur player you must be able to work the ball all ways? Nope. But I think it helps being able to control the ball when a certain shot is needed.

I think trajectory is just as important as shot shaping. I also think that trajectory is much harder to control than the shape. Being able to hit a draw or fade with an iron seems easier than changing the trajectory of a shot with the same lofted club. Once again, the course layout will determine the type of shot needed as well as other conditions like weather and lie. I have a natural low trajectory but a high fade or draw is much better to a pin that is in the front of the green. Spin is also hard for the average amateur to control. The best advice I have heard on that was to pick a golf ball that gives you a consistent spin with your normal shot and stick with it. Learn whether the ball bounces and stops 8 feet past the divot or if it spins back to the divot or past it. I use Pro V1x's and with my typical low trajectory shot into most greens the balls will hit, skip forward about 6-10 feet, and then spin back close to the divot. On a high shot the ball usually hits, bounces about a foot forward, and stays there. Unless I am hitting one of my wedges, but that is a different scenario.

I think trajectory is just as important as shot shaping. I also think that trajectory is much harder to control than the shape. Being able to hit a draw or fade with an iron seems easier than changing the trajectory of a shot with the same lofted club. Once again, the course layout will determine the type of shot needed as well as other conditions like weather and lie. I have a natural low trajectory but a high fade or draw is much better to a pin that is in the front of the green. Spin is also hard for the average amateur to control. The best advice I have heard on that was to pick a golf ball that gives you a consistent spin with your normal shot and stick with it. Learn whether the ball bounces and stops 8 feet past the divot or if it spins back to the divot or past it. I use Pro V1x's and with my typical low trajectory shot into most greens the balls will hit, skip forward about 6-10 feet, and then spin back close to the divot. On a high shot the ball usually hits, bounces about a foot forward, and stays there. Unless I am hitting one of my wedges, but that is a different scenario.

You're in my camp about trajectory control. Or I'm in yours.

Kevin

You're in my camp about trajectory control. Or I'm in yours.

Kevin

Since there wasn't a defined emphasis on trajectory and distance control....I didn't comment. Can I still join your camp? And then I also have a camp on how many different shots there are in each club. I mean....I practice my 7-iron seven different ways.

It's funny....after my round, I can always remember a couple of really good shots I made. And by made....I mean "worked".

You betcha.

Course shape and situation. To avoid obstacles on a tight course it is very useful to be able to shape your shots.

Can cost too much yardage to just pitch out (in some situations) and shaping a shot can sometimes improve your position for the next shot.

No, but it sure can help.

I also think that working on shaping shots on the range can really help ball striking and can help the player learn what swing changes cause which ball flights. I would include trajectory in this discussion too as being able to flight the ball high or low can be of great benefit in various situations.

That's a good point. As long as the person has a consistant swing and can identify what positions/swing path they had to get that ballflight it helps a lot. I know when I was getting back into the game, I wasnt consistant enough to notice what I did and didn't do. I'm noticing that a lot more as I get my swing into a groove though.

You betcha.

Course shape and situation. To avoid obstacles on a tight course it is very useful to be able to shape your shots.

Can cost too much yardage to just pitch out (in some situations) and shaping a shot can sometimes improve your position for the next shot.

No, but it sure can help.

I also think that working on shaping shots on the range can really help ball striking and can help the player learn what swing changes cause which ball flights. I would include trajectory in this discussion too as being able to flight the ball high or low can be of great benefit in various situations.

I can hit a straight ball much easier than fading/slicing. I can't draw a ball period. I can fade/slice when needed (8 out of 10 times) to get around a tree. As far as doglegs go, I usually can't hit the ball far enough to get to the bend, so no issue there.

With this being said, do you agree? Here are some other questions I would love to see answers to.

I think its a fun topic that brings in some different ideas and elements. I can see both sides here, but often wonder myself if amateur golfers spend too much time hitting different shots when a straight ball to the middle of the green would be a far "better" alternative (in terms of scoring).

For me I feel working the ball is only useful when you have obstacles in the way or are trying to avoid hazards, if you can hit a straight ball and working it is not needed why put that extra pressure on yourself and bring in the chance of more mistakes?

1) If I have trees in the way or some kind of obstacle I will work the ball. Only if I can absolutely not hit it straight at the target.
2) 7 tee shots almost require me to shape the shot off the tee. Usually because of doglegs, water, or bunkers I need to get around.
3) At all times possible I will play a straight ball, to be honest hitting the ball dead straight is more impressive than shaping it.
4) It depends on your course, it is not needed, but is a handy skill to have.

Great topic!! Here's my 2 cents...

Never intentionally!!
If I do try it is almost 100% because my ego is involved...
My natural shot is a fade but if I try to play it too much it turns into a slice.
Not particularly. To be a good amateur player I believe CONSISTENCY is the most important factor, not shot shape!

Back