Mizuno JPX-800 My Review

Spaceman_Spiff

Reaction score
Firestone CO, north of Denver about 20 mins
Handicap
Hey guys,

as some of you might know I was the recent and very fortunate winner of the Mizuno Scavenger Hunt and for that I received the following:

A very short backstory, went to get "Fit" for the first time since 2002. Hit the Mizuno shaft optimizer and decided to go with the Project X 6.0 Stiff (My avg Swing Speed on the optimizer with their 6 iron was 92-94.) 1/2" longer and 2* upright with medium sized NDMC Golf Pride grips.

So I basically hit them for the first time on the range Monday July 11th. This was a pretty decent range session as I was also implementing an adjusted grip (moved to stronger grip and slightly open face) and still trying to amend my over the top move. All in all I was pretty excited with how I was striking the ball for the first ever session with them and then I headed out to the course for 9 holes of league play. At that point everything seemed to go awry with the everything from grip/setup/swing.

And that's where this review will truly begin. FORGIVENESS was humoungous with these clubs! Balls struck off center, bladed, thinned, toed, hosel rockets, and even topped still had considerable distance with "relative" accuracy all things considered. I missed a lot without a doubt, but I wasn't punished tremendously with mis hits! It was nice to know I had something to play.

Feedback was nice! As mentioned before, the mishits were telling for sure, even with the heavier and stiff PX shafts. I could tell immediately whether it was toed or off the hosel etc. But when I struck something well, OH BABY it felt incredible! It was as everyone said, LONG, STRAIGHT and SMOOTH and I might rename them Grey Goose! Oh so smooth when well struck and man did they fly!

I did some research with the lofts vs. the Burner 2.0s and the Nike SlingShot HL I was playing prior to the JPX 800s. I had read in other places that the reason these clubs were longer than others was mostly due to the loft. In general 4-GW is set about 1-2* higher than the 2.0s, but definitely lower than the SlingShots. (I'll update this post with the spreadsheet I setup comparing these tomorrow) All in all though distance breakdowns were as follows for me:

GW: 130yd carry
PW: 145yd carry
9I: 155yd carry
8I: 170yd carry
7I: 185yd carry
6I: 195yd carry
5I: 205yd carry
4I: 215yd carry

These are definitely estimates and best averages from 9 holes Monday, and 18 today plus 2 range sessions. I was pretty much in the same vicinity with my Sling Shots as far as distance is concerned. I used to own a fit set of Cleveland TA-5s and distance in comparison to them, I might have LOST about 3-5 yards per club total. Again those were fit to me as well but the Sling Shots were not.

So initial impressions are of course as you'd expect; I LOVE THEM! A-, B+ thus far and if it weren't for trying to make too many adjustments at one time (grip, swing, longer shaft, more upright) I might have even given them an A+.

Looks: to me, these clubs really fit my eye. Topline is a little thicker than the 2.0 in my opinion but that doesn't bother me. The overall look with color combo and styling on the back, these clubs look DANG SEXY to me!

Workability: I used to play a draw with the TA-5s and with the SlingShots I was relatively straight with miss being a hook or fade but rarely anything in between so I couldn't really "work" the ball. That could also be because I'm a bogey golfer too of course! The Mizuno's at this point and with my skill are not all that "workable". I feel like if I wanted to I could draw or cut the ball but only slightly. This to me is a good thing for a handicap like mine! Just because I can't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Length: B
Forgiveness: A
Looks: A+
Workability: B-

All in all A- or B+ is my initial conclusion. I of course won't assume and can't assume that this score is set in stone.

Anyone else hit these or interested in any information? Hit me up!

Nice writeup and video, Spaceman!

Congrats again.

Great stuff space person. I to have the jpx, and the 2.0 Very different clubs, yet very similar. How does the heavier head weight feel to you? It's not something that I noticed in my searching, but I grabbed the 8I after hitting the 2.0 8I the other day and the difference jumped out at me.

--
tapatalk

I was gonna PM you even you didn't do this soon. Glad you like them and, just so you know, it only gets better.

Great stuff space person. I to have the jpx, and the 2.0 Very different clubs, yet very similar. How does the heavier head weight feel to you? It's not something that I noticed in my searching, but I grabbed the 8I after hitting the 2.0 8I the other day and the difference jumped out at me.

--
tapatalk

I hit these back to back before deciding on the JPXs and nothing jumped out at me. I have a buddy with 2.0s and will compare next time we play.

As far as the top lines, I'm pretty sure they are the same but the TMs have the illusion of being thinner because it's half black and it seems to blend in.

I hit these back to back before deciding on the JPXs and nothing jumped out at me. I have a buddy with 2.0s and will compare next time we play.

As far as the top lines, I'm pretty sure they are the same but the TMs have the illusion of being thinner because it's half black and it seems to blend in.

The mizzies definitely appear larger don't they? My 2.0s are in the truck or I would grab them to compare, but I believe their top line decreases as the loft gets higher.

--
tapatalk

great writeup, Im hoping to try these out on Sunday and have been looking for reviews on them. Havent had a chance to hit extensively with the 2.0's yet, so I might have to try em both

Good initial writeup Spaceman - those are some pretty good distances you are seeing thus far!

Great write up and video Spaceman and congrats again on winning these sweet irons.

Great write up. I have a feeling you will like these more and more as you become used to them.

Nice review. I've got a couple random Mizuno irons laying around and I love them. If I can afford to purchase a new set soon - they'll definitely be on the list to choose from.

Nice write-up. Please keep us informed on how its going.

Nice write-up.

Thanks all for the kind words and feedback! Here's the spreadsheet I created with the setup differences between the 3 clubs I'm kinda comparing:

Miz Nike TM Miz Nike
Club Loft Bounce
4 22 23 21 2 2
5 25 26 24 2 3
6 28 30 27 2 4
7 32 34 31 3 5
8 36 38 35 4 6
9 40 42 40 5 7
PW 44 46 45 6 9
GW 49 50 7
SW 55 54 55 12 12

So I was thinking about the PX Shafts and I went with them looking for a lower ball flight and two shots in my round yesterday stand out showing the differences. I hit one of the best 4 iron shots of my life on my 2nd shot of a 615 yard par 5 18th hole. This balls flight was absolutely what I was hoping for and expected. Not too low but just boring through about tree line height which I'd estimate around 40-45ft high maybe? Another was my tee shot on the par 3 the hole before. GPS showed 190 to the center and the pin was in the back and there was a slight breeze into us. I pulled the 6 iron and I carried about 185ish but the flight was nice and bore through the breeze then released nicely. I definitely hit the SlingShots considerably higher but they were lofted different and the shafts of course promoted this as well.

--
tapatalk

I noticed the weight differential, but playing with rentals in the 2.0s last time with stock shafts I think this was why there was such a noted difference. The PX shafts are considerably heavier (120g in PX and 85g in Stock Stiff flex TMs). So I don't think I can really differentiate the headweight and my tempo I think is pretty fast (not in a good way!).

This topline comment makes a lot of sense, and I didn't think about that. As a definite high handicapper I can't compare them to a blade, but looking down at them I feel hella cool or they are blades in my mind!

The mizzies definitely appear larger don't they? My 2.0s are in the truck or I would grab them to compare, but I believe their top line decreases as the loft gets higher.

--
tapatalk

I think you're right on both accounts, will check this out later today. I believe they do appear larger, but I cannot compare them side to side myself til I get back out on my home course and ask those fellas if I can hit the 2.0s again but I will!

Thanks again for the positive feedback guys.

Last edited:
Nice write Spiff! Heard so many good things about these irons and they are easily some of the best looking ones out there.

Nice write up Spiff. That spread sheet made my head hurt a little. hahaha

Great job Spiff! Congrats, those are fine looking iron's. I loved those things at last years outing.

Great review. I too was fitted for 800 JPX's added 1/2" , 2 degrees upright, and senior grafite shafts. My first time out playing 9 I dropped 12 strokes. Now I'm still working on my added distance I have gained.

Great review Spiff! Those are great looking sticks!

Great write up! I replaced my slingshots with the JPX-800's as well and I'm loving them.

Why does Mizuno have to be so leftist? Seriously? They don't make their JPX-800 fairway woods in LH? Why God? Why do I have to be lefty. Excellent write up, made me really really want to try the fairway woods.

Why does Mizuno have to be so leftist? Seriously? They don't make their JPX-800 fairway woods in LH? Why God? Why do I have to be lefty. Excellent write up, made me really really want to try the fairway woods.

Sorry Dev! That's no bueno!

Awesome irons spaceman! glad they are working so well for you

Oh my goodness. It is official. After another 9 today I'm officially in love with these irons! I went back to my old grip with new swing approach (trying to eliminate over the top!) and my irons were officially on fire today! I found a pretty nice groove with my iron swing and the distances are started to dial in. I didn't have any of the terrible mishits I had Wednesday, nothing was more than 5 yards off the target line today. I wasn't trying to shape much of anything but with my new swing I have a slight draw. The weight of the PX 6.0s has really helped in grooving my tempo as well and the ball flight is so darn cool to watch! The JPX 800s with Project X is an absolutely lethal combo!

Yes I'm now in love and it only took 36 holes! Thanks again to THP and Mizuno! I'll never be able to say thanks enough, but I will certainly try!

Glad they're working out for ya. I've had mine since May and they still get better every time out.

My tempo has improved as well. It's not a weight thing for me but as I've been working on being a better "ball striker" as opposed to a "sweeper" I've slowed down my transition at the top and my overall swing speed and since these clubs are so effortless to hit it hasn't screwed with my head.

Back