Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Alot of people are asking me about them since i work at Dick's i think its safe to say that i can confidently tell them that my friends at THP seem to love them!

Ordering at least one of these today, but I have a couple questions for everyone first. Ive skimmed some, so excuse me if already asked:

1. What seem's like the optimum shaft for us slower SS players in the 96 mph range?

2. I read some where about it being possible to order from the factory, say 1.5 degree flat. Is this correct and if so, do most of you suggest having set to your iron specs?

I think with your SS you fall right in the middle of Regular and Stiff. What do you hit in your driver?

Duey, you and I have a pretty similar swing and the Reg flex works well for me.

Dmb and hawk, I talked to Dennis today from Blind9 who contacted Cleveland and sounds like they agree, regular flex, haha. I play a regular in everything else now, but have a really high ball flight with little spin, 2800 or less on a driver.

Slated to order tomorrow so I can join the club and get my mashie on, (that just sounds wrong, hehe)

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Dmb and hawk, I talked to Dennis today from Blind9 who contacted Cleveland and sounds like they agree, regular flex, haha. I play a regular in everything else now, but have a really high ball flight with little spin, 2800 or less on a driver.

Slated to order tomorrow so I can join the club and get my mashie on, (that just sounds wrong, hehe)

Congrats man! You will love it!

Thanks, I may still have these trimmed a 1/2 inch to stiffen the tip and the lie droped 1.5", but still sort of reading reviews. If they had these in here I'd just go hit the monitor, but no such luck.

I am finally going to get to Denver in about 1 week and will have a chance to hit the mashie on a moniter and see some numbers and decide which one is going to fit best in my bag.

So the M1 is hard to hit? I was hoping for easy.....

I'm still up in the air between it and the VR pro.

Congrats duey and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

So the M1 is hard to hit? I was hoping for easy.....

I'm still up in the air between it and the VR pro.

I wouldn't call it hard to hit... it takes a little better swing to get it to perform than the M3 I have, but I'd put it as significantly easier to hit than my 3 wood, with basically the same distance and much better dispersion so its a gamer for me for sure.

Got the M1 and M3 together on the course today. I only hit 2 FIR's but the big thing was they were both with the M1 and I was in play anytime I teed off. I was within a few yards on a couple teeshots I just missed.

Hole #1: Par 4 340 Yards. Tee'd off with the M3 and I topped it, still went a good amount. Left with about 190 to the hole but sitting above my feet. I choked up and l blasted the ball pin high just to the left of the green. Chipped and duffed. Chipped again and two putted. 6 haha. Awesome.

Hole #2: M1 time. My nemesis hole. Its shot 338 par 4. Knocked my M1 straight down the middle. Hit a hill, bounced right but stayed in the FIR and was my first FIR on that stupid hole. As much as I've played I cant hit it. It gets to a point where its so narrow you almost want to just layup before it and cut the hole in half. GPS'd 231. I was feeling it and hit my PW just left but it was sand time and I end up with a 5.

Hole #4: Par 4 that was playing 254 according to my GPS. I hit my M3 unfortunately pushed it and hit it high. 6! lol. My bad on the approach because I had a wonderful angle in. When you mishit, the misses just arent as bad. I don't know how else to put it.

Hole #5: Another short Par 4 playing 290 but its a pretty big dog leg. If you hit anywhere from 200 - 240 you have a 100 yard shot into the green, because it just gives so many angles in, the hole is on the right. I ripped my M1 unfortunately just caught the tree branches I was trying to skim past. The teebox was odd so I had a tough shot to avoid the tree and almost did. Still GPS'd 221. Even hitting a smaller branch. That ballflight just rips through the air. Par!

Hole #6: Par 5 and it plays way under the 564 gps'd, depending what you do with your shots. M1, M1 and GW in. The first M1 I pulled slightly and hit a hill going up then rolled down the carpath a good 20 yards. GPS'd 197 where it was lying. I'm not sure where the ball would've ended up had I not caught a hill and cart path. Hit the M1 into the water hazard over 230 out. Took a drop ended up with a 6. There was roll involved.

Hole #8: Another par 5. 524. Lol, I caught my drive ok but a cartpath gave me another 60 yards at least. Hit my M3 204 and ended up pin high to the right. Ended up with a par. Ugh. I had a semi downhill lie above my feet. That M3 is great from these awkward spots. I don't know 100% if that is because of the way it interacts with the turf but I really have no trouble putting it through the rough stuff. Now I was help up at this point. Hit another off the tee. My drive was not as good but had about 240 left. I hit cart path again haha, which put my drive to 280 ish. Anyway, had 242 left on the GPS. M1, and just right of the green. Right online with the pin again. Another awkward lie above my feet. I had to have got some bounce on the M1 as well, that distance just wasnt in line with what I was seeing.

Hole#9: M1 , kinda topped it a little but GPS 227. set up a great approach. 3 putt. HA

I was inspired by the D11 thread and wrote down some notes to help me remember the shots I hit. THe distance was about what I expected, but of course was hoping for a little more :). The thing is, while my top distance is not as far as my 3w, overall it's definitely more when you take an average (including OOB and mishits).

The M3 is about as versatile a club I've ever had. I have trouble with lies above the feet but I was able to make good contact today. When I had trouble I would just take the M3 and swing. I know what a good swing with that feels like and just based everything else off of it. Imo think this is the most consistant club I've ever had as far as distance on a good shot.

Hole #

Congrats duey and looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thanks wulff, I hit the road early AM tomorrow and have several days tied up ahead, but hope to find time to get these on order and here about the time our weather gets nice. I keep updating as I learn how these perform.

A little off topic but has Gmac got his Mashie going on yet? I saw a pic with some Mashie head covers in his bag just wondering if he has any in his bag this week?

I'm off to the range in a couple of hours to make the final decision its Mashie M2 Vs Superfast 2.0 No3 I couldn't seperate them first time round but that was at night,daylight may be a better indicator,nice weather for it today.

I'm off to the range in a couple of hours to make the final decision its Mashie M2 Vs Superfast 2.0 No3 I couldn't seperate them first time round but that was at night,daylight may be a better indicator,nice weather for it today.

Good luck Shewy. Please do let us know what the outcome is

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Got the M1 and M3 together on the course today. I only hit 2 FIR's but the big thing was they were both with the M1 and I was in play anytime I teed off. I was within a few yards on a couple teeshots I just missed.

Hole #1: Par 4 340 Yards. Tee'd off with the M3 and I topped it, still went a good amount. Left with about 190 to the hole but sitting above my feet. I choked up and l blasted the ball pin high just to the left of the green. Chipped and duffed. Chipped again and two putted. 6 haha. Awesome.

Hole #2: M1 time. My nemesis hole. Its shot 338 par 4. Knocked my M1 straight down the middle. Hit a hill, bounced right but stayed in the FIR and was my first FIR on that stupid hole. As much as I've played I cant hit it. It gets to a point where its so narrow you almost want to just layup before it and cut the hole in half. GPS'd 231. I was feeling it and hit my PW just left but it was sand time and I end up with a 5.

Hole #4: Par 4 that was playing 254 according to my GPS. I hit my M3 unfortunately pushed it and hit it high. 6! lol. My bad on the approach because I had a wonderful angle in. When you mishit, the misses just arent as bad. I don't know how else to put it.

Hole #5: Another short Par 4 playing 290 but its a pretty big dog leg. If you hit anywhere from 200 - 240 you have a 100 yard shot into the green, because it just gives so many angles in, the hole is on the right. I ripped my M1 unfortunately just caught the tree branches I was trying to skim past. The teebox was odd so I had a tough shot to avoid the tree and almost did. Still GPS'd 221. Even hitting a smaller branch. That ballflight just rips through the air. Par!

Hole #6: Par 5 and it plays way under the 564 gps'd, depending what you do with your shots. M1, M1 and GW in. The first M1 I pulled slightly and hit a hill going up then rolled down the carpath a good 20 yards. GPS'd 197 where it was lying. I'm not sure where the ball would've ended up had I not caught a hill and cart path. Hit the M1 into the water hazard over 230 out. Took a drop ended up with a 6. There was roll involved.

Hole #8: Another par 5. 524. Lol, I caught my drive ok but a cartpath gave me another 60 yards at least. Hit my M3 204 and ended up pin high to the right. Ended up with a par. Ugh. I had a semi downhill lie above my feet. That M3 is great from these awkward spots. I don't know 100% if that is because of the way it interacts with the turf but I really have no trouble putting it through the rough stuff. Now I was help up at this point. Hit another off the tee. My drive was not as good but had about 240 left. I hit cart path again haha, which put my drive to 280 ish. Anyway, had 242 left on the GPS. M1, and just right of the green. Right online with the pin again. Another awkward lie above my feet. I had to have got some bounce on the M1 as well, that distance just wasnt in line with what I was seeing.

Hole#9: M1 , kinda topped it a little but GPS 227. set up a great approach. 3 putt. HA

I was inspired by the D11 thread and wrote down some notes to help me remember the shots I hit. THe distance was about what I expected, but of course was hoping for a little more :). The thing is, while my top distance is not as far as my 3w, overall it's definitely more when you take an average (including OOB and mishits).

The M3 is about as versatile a club I've ever had. I have trouble with lies above the feet but I was able to make good contact today. When I had trouble I would just take the M3 and swing. I know what a good swing with that feels like and just based everything else off of it. Imo think this is the most consistant club I've ever had as far as distance on a good shot.

Hole #

Great stuff Yoccos.

Great read Yoccos. I can only hope to hit an M1 half that far, lol. My 3w now isnt in the 240 range, (thats more like my driver, lol).

Yoccos -- That was cool reading your play by play with the Mashie . It is a wonderful club and like you said, it just rips through the air like a heat seeking missle!

Thanks Due! I'm sure youll get some great distance with it. It's so much more forgiving than the 3w.

Great read Yoccos. I can only hope to hit an M1 half that far, lol. My 3w now isnt in the 240 range, (thats more like my driver, lol).

It really does. I searched for you ball initially by the tree and it took a bit to find it. Did not think it would have gone that far!

Yoccos -- That was cool reading your play by play with the Mashie . It is a wonderful club and like you said, it just rips through the air like a heat seeking missle!

Thanks man. You guys really brought it in the D11 thread, so definitely owe that idea to you all.

Great stuff Yoccos.

Would love to hear your feedback as I am torn between the Superfast 2.0 and the Mashie. I think the Superfast 2.0 is on sweet looking hybrid. Performance wise I was surprised how easy it was to hit. It is draw bias so it does help produce a draw which I have never been able to hit since I tendency is to hit a fade.

I'm really ill with myself over my attempt at regripping my Mashies last night. They arrived yesterday and I was going to hit them today. I knew from about 20 pages back that there was some conversation on the fact that the shaft butt diameter was a bit bigger and it might be a bit tougher to regrip. Anyway, I cut off the stock grip and start trying to but my WinnLite Midsize on it...I can't even get it started. So I keep fooling with it, and never do get it on.

So I go mack to the interwebs and start doing more research on my options. The 58g C Kua shaft has a 0.650" butt end diameter (where most are 0.580" or 0.600") and there are only a couple of grip options I can see anywhere...both of which are just similar versions to the stock grip.

Anyway, I have two new "stock" grips on the way, and two beautiful, unhit, ungripped Mashies sitting in the corner on a beautiful sunny day. Argh!!

So let this serve as a warning to pay attention to the shaft diameters when you are trying to regrip a club. I believe that all the 58g Mashies, the Cleveland FW and the 270 and 290 drivers have the same diameter which is larger than standard.

Yikes buddy haha. Just to the ungripped Mashies hanging out in the corner. Hopefully they will be there sooner than later my friend!

I'm really ill with myself over my attempt at regripping my Mashies last night. They arrived yesterday and I was going to hit them today. I knew from about 20 pages back that there was some conversation on the fact that the shaft butt diameter was a bit bigger and it might be a bit tougher to regrip. Anyway, I cut off the stock grip and start trying to but my WinnLite Midsize on it...I can't even get it started. So I keep fooling with it, and never do get it on.

So I go mack to the interwebs and start doing more research on my options. The 58g C Kua shaft has a 0.650" butt end diameter (where most are 0.580" or 0.600") and there are only a couple of grip options I can see anywhere...both of which are just similar versions to the stock grip.

Anyway, I have two new "stock" grips on the way, and two beautiful, unhit, ungripped Mashies sitting in the corner on a beautiful sunny day. Argh!!

So let this serve as a warning to pay attention to the shaft diameters when you are trying to regrip a club. I believe that all the 58g Mashies, the Cleveland FW and the 270 and 290 drivers have the same diameter which is larger than standard.

The torture!! Sorry to hear that man and after reading that I now like the stock grip, a lot lol

Back