Golfing in glasses?

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
I have bad vision, so I wear glasses or contacts all the time. I always wear my contacts for sports, but have occasionally worn my glasses to the range. When I have my glasses on I just cannot focus on the ball. In order to keep my chin up it basically puts the ball right even with the frames of my glasses so I can't see it, and if I tilt my head down at all they just tend to slide down my nose because of sweat. This has become more of an issue because I recently switched to new plastic Oakley frames. I sweat at work sometimes because we don't have AC, so I just wear my contacts on hot days. Anyhow, I just plan on wearing my contacts every time I golf. I played last week with a very good golfer and it was about 90 degrees, and he wore his glasses the whole time. I've seen quite a few golfers play in glasses, and I just don't know how you do it! Who here wears glasses when they play or who has the same problem as me?

I wear glasses when I play golf (only time I do). I have no trouble with mine. If they are properly adjusted and fitted then they shouldn't slide down your nose anyway.

I have prescription sunglasses as well for when it is nice and sunny

I could never do it unless they made glasses like my Oakley Flak Jackets (slip proof). Contacts all the way for me.

Not really going to answer your question but Lasik is one of the greatest medical findings in the last 30 years. Had mine done about 11 years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat. Best thing you can do if you are a candidate.

I also wear glasses when I play. Contacts have always bothered my eyes. Whenever I get a new frame or minor change in prescription it takes a bucket or two on the range to fully adjust, but after that I'm fine. Strangely enough, I cannot wear sunglasses while playing. I don't know why but I've just never felt comfortable with sunglasses on the course.

My dad wears glasses all the time, the only complaint I've heard from him is occasionally if he doesn't look down at the right angle or something his bifocals will mess with his sight on the ball. Never anything about slippage though and none that I've really noticed.

I wear glasses all the time. I have no problems with my sliding off. The rubber nose pieces keeps the glasses in place.

I have bad vision, so I wear glasses or contacts all the time. I always wear my contacts for sports, but have occasionally worn my glasses to the range. When I have my glasses on I just cannot focus on the ball. In order to keep my chin up it basically puts the ball right even with the frames of my glasses so I can't see it, and if I tilt my head down at all they just tend to slide down my nose because of sweat. This has become more of an issue because I recently switched to new plastic Oakley frames. I sweat at work sometimes because we don't have AC, so I just wear my contacts on hot days. Anyhow, I just plan on wearing my contacts every time I golf. I played last week with a very good golfer and it was about 90 degrees, and he wore his glasses the whole time. I've seen quite a few golfers play in glasses, and I just don't know how you do it! Who here wears glasses when they play or who has the same problem as me?

I wear glasses all the time; either regular prescription or prescription sunglasses. If they slip that much, the nose pieces need to be adjusted. When focusing on the ball, if the ball is covered by the frame, maybe the frame is too small for your face. I barely see the frame with peripheral vision. It's a blur. To see the frame of my Nike Titanium's I have to intentional keep head forward and look to the left or right.

I wear glasses when I play golf (only time I do). I have no trouble with mine. If they are properly adjusted and fitted then they shouldn't slide down your nose anyway.

I have prescription sunglasses as well for when it is nice and sunny

Same here. My prescription sunglasses are wrap-around. If it's cloudy, I can wear my regular glasses or no glasses at all. I only wear glasses when I read or use the computer. Not driving or anything else that I don't have to read.

My new glasses are the Oakley Tumbler glasses. They do not have rubber nosepieces to adjust it is just plastic. My old metal frames with the rubber nosepiece didn't slip as bad as these when I sweat, I could handle those on the range if I absolutely had to.

Have you tried prescription sunglasses? Also, I know alot of Sunglass Companies (Oakley, Costa del Mar) can take most of their sunglass frames, and have custom lenses (non tinted) put into them. Must local optometrists are able to do this.

For example...

oakley-radarpath-sunglasses-blackclear.jpg

I wear prescription Kenneth Cole sunglasses. I have not had one single problem with wearing them while playing. I am though looking into getting lasik surgery.

I prefer to wear my contacts anyway, and sometimes wear sunglasses, but usually just prefer a hat.

I have the no line bi focal glasses and yep I have to wear them all the time. They cost me at least five strokes per round but without them they would cost me quite a few more :beat-up:. I had lasik surgery several years back and it finally wore off so I went back to glasses.

I struggled with this for years. I had glasses, but didn't really need them to play, or anything for that matter. As time goes on, my eyes have gotten a little worse so I need to use them for golf, just to avoid the headaches. My first set of frames (I don't have bifocals), I had a hard time golfing in them so I didn't even try. They were smaller lenses so when I looked down at the ball, I wasn't using the lense at all. Which was fine, but when I hit the ball and would look for it through the lense and it would take a little for my eyes to focus and I couldn't pick up the ball. The next set of frames I got were a little larger so I was looking at the ball through the lense the entire time. Now I don't have a problem playing in glasses.

I'm due for another exam soon and when/if I get new prescription, I am going to get set of frames just for golf. Just an athletic style with large enough lenses that I can see the ball the whole time. They don't need to be 70s or 80s style 2" lenses, but just large enough to see the ball when I am standing over it.

That would be my suggestion, look for a set of frames with a lense large enough for you to be comfortable at address, and so you don't have to tilt your head so much they slip off.

I struggled with this for years. I had glasses, but didn't really need them to play, or anything for that matter. As time goes on, my eyes have gotten a little worse so I need to use them for golf, just to avoid the headaches. My first set of frames (I don't have bifocals), I had a hard time golfing in them so I didn't even try. They were smaller lenses so when I looked down at the ball, I wasn't using the lense at all. Which was fine, but when I hit the ball and would look for it through the lense and it would take a little for my eyes to focus and I couldn't pick up the ball. The next set of frames I got were a little larger so I was looking at the ball through the lense the entire time. Now I don't have a problem playing in glasses.

I'm due for another exam soon and when/if I get new prescription, I am going to get set of frames just for golf. Just an athletic style with large enough lenses that I can see the ball the whole time. They don't need to be 70s or 80s style 2" lenses, but just large enough to see the ball when I am standing over it.

That would be my suggestion, look for a set of frames with a lense large enough for you to be comfortable at address, and so you don't have to tilt your head so much they slip off.

I rarely wear glasses for regular tasks, but find that I cant see wear my ball goes without them (kinda important). Ive tried wearing regular glasses and didnt have that hard of a time with them. I bought some prescription oakley fives that are polarized for about $400 and love them. The oakelys have little distortion on angles making them nice when facing my head to the ball and taking a peek unfront of me without moving my head. I dont have much of an issue with then sliding around as they are a very narrow frame that fits pretty tight. I dont think I will ever golf without some sort of glasses.

I wear glasses but not to the course. I have a pair of oakley half jacket sunglasses I wear when golfing and they don't slip or bother me when playing from sweat.

My regular every day glasses have transition lenses and don't wear them a lot to golf, but I do have RX sunglasses and where them every time I golf! But if it's overcast or darker I leave my glasses on. I haven't noticed any problems seeing or hitting the ball.

i originally would only play golf with my contacts in. i was afraid that i would run into some of the same troubles as you did (ie. slipping down my nose, different angles, not being able to focus, etc...)
but eventually i just got sick of wearing contacts altogether and practically don't anymore...
so i learned to play golf with my glasses and surprisingly, it wasn't that difficult and i didn't experience much difference at all.
there are a few hot days where the sweat will cause them to slide, just a bit...but only a few times...not all day.
i might actually find it weird going back to playing golf in contacts.

i guess it all comes down to what style of frames you have...

I wear glasses all the time, including while golfing. Never been a problem for me. I have no line bifocals and transition lenses so no need for sunglasses.

I wear contacts almost exclusively. The rare occasion is first thing in the morning or just before bed when I wear glasses. I want LASIK real bad, but that's not in the near future. I wear sunglasses at times, but they can slip too, it just depends on the time and where the sun may be. I usually don't wear much on my head other than a hat on the course. So i'm kinda in the same boat.

I wear Nike 8064's all the time... I have never had an issue with them while playing golf. The frame is very light, and they stay in place. The lenses are small, so I wear them a bit out on my nose so that I can keep my head from being too tilted.
15383052.jpg

I wear contact lenses for golf as, just like the original post I couldn't focus on the ball properly. Plus when it rains here it rains and glasses really are no good!!!

I would love laser eye surgery too but it's not something I have money to burn on at the moment.

My oakley sunglasses are great if I need them they don't slip at all. I never have problems with sunglasses, just regular ones. Someday I hope to just get lasik, my eye doctor said he thinks I would qualify if I went to the lasik place but it os just sooooo expensive!

Back