My Experience at The 93rd PGA Championship at Atlanta Athletic Club

Josh_Ross

Georgia Southern Eagles!
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone. As you may or may not know, I will be a volunteering at this year's tournament. I kind of came along the opportunity in a funny way. While watching my favorite TV show "Chuck" my mom decides to come in and change the channel right in the middle of the important part. I guess my reaction was crazy, and she immediately flipped it back. Then I went even more crazy because in the instant she had changed the channel, I saw a headline reading "Volunteer for the 93rd PGA Championship" so I started yelling switch it back again. Thank goodness she did, because I never would have seen this opportunity.

I called in and asked how to sign up and got all of the details. I was fully prepared to pay the $207.50 fee that gave me 7 day access, a uniform, a job, meal vouchers, and membership for a day at one of Atlanta's Canongate courses. When they asked what my age would be as of the start date or the tournament, I told them 21. The lady proceeds to tell me that I don't qualify as an adult volunteer, so I think I'm toast. Then she says that means I get to be a junior volunteer and don't have to pay a fee, and still get the same perks. Heck yeah! So I'm assigned to be a standard bearer for rounds 1, 2, and 4. I have the group numbers and times somewhere, but obviously I don't know who those groups are yet.

Once I get everything situated here, I will post pictures of the new uniform I got, as well as the times I am scheduled to work. Also, I plan on updating as much as I can while I'm out at the practice rounds, and also on Saturday when I'm off. One big thing that is different about this tournament, is that it is the first major tournament to allow cell phones inside the ropes. With this being the case, I should be able to get a lot of good pictures with my Droid, as well as update through Tapatalk. I'm hoping I can keep this thread going well throughout the tournament to give you all a good look at what's going on out there.

Wow what a cool gig buddy! Enjoy your life time experience :clapp:

Very cool! Even better that you didn't have to pay the fee.

Get a good group and you might even get some TV time. THP hat allowed? LOL!
Awesome. I am happy for you.(read happy as envious)

Wow what a cool gig buddy! Enjoy your life time experience :clapp:

Thanks OG! This really is a once in a lifetime experience.

Very cool! Even better that you didn't have to pay the fee.

Yeah, I was blown away when I found that out!

Get a good group and you might even get some TV time. THP hat allowed? LOL!
Awesome. I am happy for you.(read happy as envious)

Haha, I'm sure a few people would love to do this. I signed up a long time ago before I was on THP, or I would've definitely shared the opportunity. I'm guessing Sunday I'll get some TV time, since almost every group is significant. I'll definitely be following a big time group on my day off Saturday, and if I had a THP hat, I'd have it on for sure. The only THP thing I have is my putter cover, and it wouldn't make much sense just carrying that around, haha.

Great opportunity! I may see you there. I will be there two or three days of the event. I will will be watching to see who you are with. Enjoy!

That is awesome man congrats! I'm looking forward to the behind the ropes vantage point...

I was fully prepared to pay the $207.50 fee that gave me 7 day access, a uniform, a job, meal vouchers, and membership for a day at one of Atlanta's Canongate courses. When they asked what my age would be as of the start date or the tournament, I told them 21.
Totally cool. I'm glad they waived it for you. I thought about volunteering for a seniors tour event in my area and was kinda bummed they wanted $90 to volunteer for two days. I can buy tickets for a lot less.:confused2:

Good for you Josh enjoy! look 4wardto all future updates.

Have a good time, JR.

Great opportunity! My Dad got to be a Greens Marshall at the Masters in the late 60's.

Very cool man. The AAC looks like a really cool course

Thanks guys. I'm real excited to watch the pros up close. And yes, the course looks awesome. It's actually in this year's Tiger Woods game, and I've been playing it a good bit. You know, so maybe I can give some advise to my group, haha!

Once I get everything situated here, I will post pictures of the new uniform I got, as well as the times I am scheduled to work. Also, I plan on updating as much as I can while I'm out at the practice rounds, and also on Saturday when I'm off. One big thing that is different about this tournament, is that it is the first major tournament to allow cell phones inside the ropes. With this being the case, I should be able to get a lot of good pictures with my Droid, as well as update through Tapatalk. I'm hoping I can keep this thread going well throughout the tournament to give you all a good look at what's going on out there.
I bet this is going to drive Bubba Watson insane. :angry:

What a fantastic opportunity for you! You are going to have a blast. I can't wait to see you who will be following.

Congrats, that sounds like fun.
And although cell phones are now allowed in tournaments, they still frown upon taking pictures during the actual tournament.

Sweet have a good time

I hope your uniform looks better than the Barney purple polo they gave us when I volunteered at BellSouth Classic!!

Congrats, that sounds like fun.
And although cell phones are now allowed in tournaments, they still frown upon taking pictures during the actual tournament.

Yeah, I'm hoping it will be alright during the practice rounds. Maybe I can get a quick picture or two during Saturday's round.

I hope your uniform looks better than the Barney purple polo they gave us when I volunteered at BellSouth Classic!!

Haha, these look pretty good. I'll try my best to get the pictures up today so everyone can see.

I am also working at the PGA this year as a Marshal -- 18 Grandstand I believe - still have to confirm exact location. I happily forked over the $ though. The Uniforms are pretty slick - Cutter and Buck Shirt / Shorts / Straw Hat ( marshalls only ) .... plus credential to get in any time during the entire tournament. I live 3.5 miles from Atlanta Athletic Club -- close, but still have to park and take a shuttle over. :)

Thanks guys. I'm real excited to watch the pros up close. And yes, the course looks awesome. It's actually in this year's Tiger Woods game, and I've been playing it a good bit. You know, so maybe I can give some advise to my group, haha!

lol, that's actually how I learned about the course. Played it a few times in the game and thought "this is a pretty nice course, nice grouping and variety of holes, nice setup, just seems nice". The only course i've played more often on the game is augusta. I'm excited for the pga just for the aac.

Alright, I finally got all my stuff together and took a picture of it. You'll see pictured my shirt, hat, the upper portion of my shorts, my volunteer credentials, and then the volunteer manual so we can answer questions for people.

2d7a26x.jpg

Looking good! Josh have you seen much of the course? How hilly is it?

Looking good! Josh have you seen much of the course? How hilly is it?

I actually haven't been out on the course yet. It'll me hard for me to call anything hilly when I'm usually playing these mountain courses up here, haha.

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

So the groups got named. What was your group number and time Josh?

Back