Drinking while playing

Very rarely drink while playing but we will have a few beers waiting for all the cards to come back at the club bar!

In over 25 years of playing golf, I have had less than 1 can of beer. This game is hard enough and I never drink until I am done!

In the hot summer ,I drink water and Gatorade which I bring along.Most courses around my area have signs that allow no outside food or beverages but my golf bag has a built-in cooler compartment that I use.I am not paying $3 for a bottled water!I drink maybe two alcoholic drinks a year.

No matter what gets drinkened on the course, do the drinkers buy what they drink from the golf course or bring their own drinking materials? Water, beer, soda, flagons of mead, whatever the drink may be? Do you BYODs or buy them onsite?

Kevin
The courses around here have signs that say in big, bold letters, "NO CARRY IN BEVERAGES" but I still sneak a can of soda in my bag.
During the summer I usually buy from the cart girl because by the time I reach the 5th hole a soda would be warm anyways. Its highway robbery, but Im not going to die from thirst just to save a few bucks.

During a competitive round, usually none. During men's night, I'll can easily take down 4-8 over 18 holes. It is scary how little it affects my scores in general. I know it's proven to hurt a game but I'd play anyone with the same handicap as me even up while finishing a beer a hole. It's not uncommon for me to down a six-pack a side and keep it in the mid 70's.
I'm impressed!

Rarely anything but water, and the courses around here are always well supplied with free water. I'm not above quaffing a beer though, particularly to settle down after a bad couple of holes mid round. But mostly I just save that pleasure for the 19th hole, or for out on the patio when I get home. :drinks:

Last edited:
No matter what gets drinkened on the course, do the drinkers buy what they drink from the golf course or bring their own drinking materials? Water, beer, soda, flagons of mead, whatever the drink may be? Do you BYODs or buy them onsite?

Kevin

Never take anything to the course. It's the best way I know to get ejected from the property. No coolers are allowed on my home course, or any other I know of, except the ones you can get with a sixpack in the bar in the clubhouse.

A lot of the course income is derived from the restaurant and bar concessions, even if it's just the franchise fee and the actual profits go to the operator. Nobody is going to pay for the rights to operate a concession if they can't sell anything. Then too, it takes a special liquor license here in Colorado, with an additional fee, for a golf course to be able to sell alcohol outside of the clubhouse, so bringing your own is no different than sneaking it into a bar. I don't know of any bartender who would smile and give you a hug if he caught you sneaking your booze in the door. :nono:

I never drink on the course. I don't think I've ever actually had one during a round come to think of it. It's probably b/c I started playing with my parents and I never drink around them (old habits). But I'm really surprised at how few people on this thread actually drink during a round. I feel like whenever I get out on the course, everyone but my husband and I are knocking a few back. I know my dad always drinks beer with his buddies when he plays. Then he eats a meal at like 3 pm and waits it out b/f driving home.

I don't if the course has signs posted, but otherwise, heck yeah I will. 4 dollar Gatorades are bad for my health.
Never take anything to the course. It's the best way I know to get ejected from the property. No coolers are allowed on my home course, or any other I know of, except the ones you can get with a sixpack in the bar in the clubhouse.

A lot of the course income is derived from the restaurant and bar concessions, even if it's just the franchise fee and the actual profits go to the operator. Nobody is going to pay for the rights to operate a concession if they can't sell anything. Then too, it takes a special liquor license here in Colorado, with an additional fee, for a golf course to be able to sell alcohol outside of the clubhouse, so bringing your own is no different than sneaking it into a bar. I don't know of any bartender who would smile and give you a hug if he caught you sneaking your booze in the door. :nono:

+2. I buy everything at my home course to support the course. It may be unlike some course's in that the prices there are very fair and not marked up a bunch. I wouldn't think of bringing anything in. I know of many who have tried and been pointed towards the road.

I don't know. I have no problem bringing my own water, Gatorade and snacks to the course.
Now beer and other beverages I buy from the cart girls or halfway hut.

I tend to only drink beer when I am playing really poorly and I need to relax. Once the first beer hits my lips I am done caring about the score and can just swing away. Happened last year on the champ and my playing partner was nice enough to hand me a beer and say "forget about it".

I generally keep an empty gatorade bottle in my bag and fill up with water on one of the par 3's. Depending on the course I will bring in a bottle of gatorade with me, but buy one on the turn.

I don't drink on the course. Occasionally, I'll have a beer or two in the clubhouse afterwards. On the course, I usually have a cup of coffee with me when I tee off. Once thats gone, its water or gatorade during the round.

Rarely do I drink on the course. But if I do it's beer. I play pretty well with 3 or 4 in me but after that it goes down hill.

the ore my best friend drinks the better he gets. it is funny how his slice goes away

The only time I will drink anything alcoholic on the course is in the really freezing months around here when we are just out there trying to survive. I will spike my canteen of coffee with some brandy or something like that. These are periods when it is just almost ridiculous out there. Actually you really can't drink that much that way as it only offers a temporary means of taking the edge off the cold anyway and it can make the cold worse at times. We are just trying to get those last rounds in before we know we are going to be shut down for good for a few months. Any other time I will only drink water or lemon spiked water or something like that but that is it.

When its hot out, like last Sunday, I'll have a beer or 2 from the cart girl. Nothing tastes better when your hot than a cold beer.

That being said, my friends and I used to play a beer a hole in college. Needless to say, by the 18th we were all very happy and whiffing away.

I'll bring a nice bomber bottle of some good micro-brewed beer and some plastic cups in my bag. It's a great start to the back nine especially during mid-afternoon rounds.

I used to play with a few guys I went to college with that would drink liquor on the course. That's too much for me, a beer or two is prob the best.

If i play the front 9 well or average, I usually hold off until after the round. If i'm struggling, I grab a beer or 2 with my hot dog at the turn. Either it helps clear the demons out of my mind, or loosens up my mind to enjoy the poor play a bit more. Either way i'm usually in a better mood by hole 18 than I was at the turn.

When I am home and golfing with friends look out, when I am traveling I never drink. Just like drinking with friends I guess.

Usually a bloody mary and a couple of beers..the last few times I golfed I did not drink at all..didnt really notice a difference in scoring..

i'll occasionally have a beer on the course but it usually depends on the friend that i'm golfing with at the time i say its ok to have a drink once in a while as long as your not out there getting completely sloshed thats just uncalled for, sadly i've seen it happen, go home for that or at least a bar.

Beer and golf

Beer and golf

What do you guys think? I like to have a few or 6 while playing. Shot a 41 on the front and 49 on the back. I seem to be inconsistent either way. I would rather go low and drink at the 19th, just not sure its my problem. What are your thoughts? Drink and enjoy or grind it out. At least when I drink I have an excuse!:beer:

I MIGHT have a beer at the turn if it's hot and I'm not on a pace for a real good score. Very rarely will I drink more than a beer in a round. Heck it's very rare that I drink even one during a round!

Back