Jason Day's wife injured at Basketball game

Those court side seats will never go away because of the money they generate. I don't agree with it at all because they are way too close and it's only a matter of time until someone gets really seriously hurt. It's no different then the photographers sitting on the baseline for games. It's amazing to me how close they are to players that are jumping up and landing in those spots.
One of my big pet peeves are the court side seats right next to the bench. I'm sure those are super expensive and if I was a paying fan I could think of a lot better ways to spend my money then to be looking into Stan van gundy's backside for a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Spieth would have held up his hand and stopped Lebron dead in his tracks.
And Rory would have grabbed the loose ball and launched a 3. While calling glass.

I spit out my rum on that one and its good rum...#oldlivesmatter...ha excellent

And he is old, isn't that ageism :D old people matter too #oldlivesmatter

It's no different then the photographers sitting on the baseline for games.
This crossed my mind, too, but they are getting paid to sit there and get the best shot they can. Workplace hazard different than paying customer.

This thread is hysterical. No blood no foul is how we roll n my hood. Call ball and be done with it

Hate to drag this out, but I just spent like an hour researching this and learning (my favorite part) something new. I love learning new stuff.
Disclosure: Lazy-Boy, Arm-Chair Lawyer moment in 3....2.....1.....

I found two citations that kind of lean toward the fact that basketball is doing it wrong, and hockey does it best.

This article: http://www.bmpllp.com/files/1314291201.pdf has great info in it, especially when it comes to distractions in stadiums. There is apparently a case to be made for being distracted by the jumbotrons and taking your attention away from the game. It also discusses, again, the duty of stadiums to provide fair protection of invitees even though they are aware of inherent risks.

City of Milton v. Broxson, 514 So. 2d 1116, 1118 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1987). In discussing a duty astadium owner owes to it spectators, "[w]here an invitee's knowledge of a dangerous condition will adequatelyprotect him from harm, an owner's duty with regard to the condition is limited to giving proper warning, whererequired. The invitee can be expected to protect himself against such risks. However, where the danger is of such anature that the owner should reasonably anticipate that it creates an unreasonable risk (a player entering the stands forcefully) of harm to an inviteenotwithstanding a warning or the invitee's knowledge of the danger, then reasonable care may require thatadditional precautions (moving fans back) be taken for the safety of the invitee."
(*emphasis my own)I'm past the point of blaming Lebron but stand by my assertion that the NBA needs to take away all those seats.
But I still think, and maybe it's just me being a decent guy, that going full bore into a row of spectators is kind of unnecessary. And I know most of you disagree with me. My point of that one video is that the dude tried like crazy NOT to plow into fans....while still saving the ball. James just said eff it I'm going in hard.

Backwoods Lawyer T0AD says the NBA should be held liable based on the rulings and assertions made above and in several other legal docs I read today, because those seats aren't safe, no matter if you're aware of the hazard or not.

Where's Seth to straighten me out?

I wish we got as passionate about golf gear talk as this.

:alien:

I agree with you T0AD.

I guess I really have nothing to worry about, though. I'm in the nosebleeds one way or the other, LOL.

Welp, I'm kind of glad I missed this thread.

Shît happens.

Effort and situational awareness.

Just sayin'. My $.02.

This is 100% different than the LeBron situation. Wall had his legs under him and was able to jump straight up. Lebrons weight (270 lbs) was moving sideways and down towards the ball. Not sure how you could expect him to stop or jump over her in that situation

This is 100% different than the LeBron situation. Wall had his legs under him and was able to jump straight up. Lebrons weight (270 lbs) was moving sideways and down towards the ball. Not sure how you could expect him to stop or jump over her in that situation

He said if she had still been pregnant he would have jumped over her!!:alien:

Last edited:
He said if she had still been pregnant he would have jumped over her!!

And do you honestly think he knew who he was crashing into? Did you even see the play?

And do you honestly think he knew who he was crashing into? Did you even see the play?

I'm trying to make a light hearted, tongue in cheek joke. Sorry that's not coming across in writing. I suck at sarcasm.

I'm trying to make a light hearted, tongue in cheek joke. Sorry that's not coming across in writing. I suck at sarcasm.

You forgot the alien

Hate to drag this out, but I just spent like an hour researching this and learning (my favorite part) something new. I love learning new stuff.

I found two citations that kind of lean toward the fact that basketball is doing it wrong, and hockey does it best.

This article: http://www.bmpllp.com/files/1314291201.pdf has great info in it, especially when it comes to distractions in stadiums. There is apparently a case to be made for being distracted by the jumbotrons and taking your attention away from the game. It also discusses, again, the duty of stadiums to provide fair protection of invitees even though they are aware of inherent risks.

City of Milton v. Broxson, 514 So. 2d 1116, 1118 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1987). In discussing a duty astadium owner owes to it spectators, "[w]here an invitee's knowledge of a dangerous condition will adequatelyprotect him from harm, an owner's duty with regard to the condition is limited to giving proper warning, whererequired. The invitee can be expected to protect himself against such risks. However, where the danger is of such anature that the owner should reasonably anticipate that it creates an unreasonable risk (a player entering the stands forcefully) of harm to an inviteenotwithstanding a warning or the invitee's knowledge of the danger, then reasonable care may require thatadditional precautions (moving fans back) be taken for the safety of the invitee."
(*emphasis my own)I'm past the point of blaming Lebron but stand by my assertion that the NBA needs to take away all those seats.
But I still think, and maybe it's just me being a decent guy, that going full bore into a row of spectators is kind of unnecessary. And I know most of you disagree with me. My point of that one video is that the dude tried like crazy NOT to plow into fans....while still saving the ball. James just said eff it I'm going in hard.

Backwoods Lawyer T0AD says the NBA should be held liable based on the rulings and assertions made above and in several other legal docs I read today, because those seats aren't safe, no matter if you're aware of the hazard or not.

Doubt anyone would be saying the NBA/team/stadium operator isn't liable if she got hurt badly. They are good with taking that risk in exchange for $2000 or more for each of those seats.

I'm fine if you want to say the NBA is to blame. They are. They allow people to sit court side right next to play.

The problem is, your original stance in this thread seemed to take a "it's Lebron's fault"...which it's absolutely not.

I don't see this and anyone's fault. Accidents happen. Lebron is doing his job and I'm sure he has no intent to hurt anyone. Sitting courtside you know the inherent risk with being that close to top athletes giving 100%. This is no big deal to me. People that CHOOSE to sit this close accept the risk.

I still don't understand why this is even a topic.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I still don't understand why this is even a topic.

To be fair ESPN milked it for a day as well.

To be fair ESPN milked it for a day as well.

Plenty of sport news outlets have. Don't understand why though.

only news because it was Jason Day's wife

Back