2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly have no idea what 531 prescribes. I'm not sure about the program structure. I need to look into it

strength training program from Jim wendler. Initial concept was 4 week cycle with 4th week being deltas week. Program was designed to start "light" with slow progress. Some variations in what workout could be done with assistance work with main concept being week one 3x5 at use 90% of 1rm for the training max, then use 65/75/85 of that, second week 70/80/90% for 3x3 3rd week is 75/85/95 for 5/3/1. The last set each week is a plus so amrap. The 4th week is deload using 5x5 with no amrap on last set using 40/50/60. Next month starts over adding 5 to max and same percentages.

he to modified original program for powerlifting later on and another version before coming up with beyond 5/3/1 which he modified something's and added multiple variations to the workouts keeping the same principles and changing from a 4 week cycle to a 6 week with deload occurring on week 7.

in my op it should have been 3x5 vice 5x5

strength training program from Jim wendler. Initial concept was 4 week cycle with 4th week being deltas week. Program was designed to start "light" with slow progress. Some variations in what workout could be done with assistance work with main concept being week one 3x5 at use 90% of 1rm for the training max, then use 65/75/85 of that, second week 70/80/90% for 3x3 3rd week is 75/85/95 for 5/3/1. The last set each week is a plus so amrap. The 4th week is deload using 5x5 with no amrap on last set using 40/50/60. Next month starts over adding 5 to max and same percentages.

he to modified original program for powerlifting later on and another version before coming up with beyond 5/3/1 which he modified something's and added multiple variations to the workouts keeping the same principles and changing from a 4 week cycle to a 6 week with deload occurring on week 7.

in my op it should have been 3x5 vice 5x5
I knew of the program and it's general idea but still have not looked into the specifics. It sounds like a good intermediate/advanced program.

I do agree that 3x5 is better, generally speaking, for novice trainees. 5x5 has its place for more advanced lifters.

I knew of the program and it's general idea but still have not looked into the specifics. It sounds like a good intermediate/advanced program.

I do agree that 3x5 is better, generally speaking, for novice trainees. 5x5 has its place for more advanced lifters.

agree. It's based on the 4 core lifts, oh, DL, bench and squat. With differnt programs depending on how many days/week one chooses to workout.

Just thought this was interesting:

Great workout tonight with my instructor.

Went through a series of squats and then balance/stability drills.

Finished with some speed drills using a variety if weighted shafts.

Squats. Prowler. Chins.

This felt really good.

Forgot my knee brace tonight, so I decided to try everything without it and see how it went.

Felt it twinge 15 mins into cardio, it went away after a few minutes but I stopped at 20 mins. Kept the weights lower since tonight was lower body & core, so far it's feeling OK. Hope it stays OK. If it's at all swollen in the AM, I'm in trouble.

Conditioning today. Good workout, but give me kettlebells and barbells any day. Much prefer the strength + conditioning days.

Take a double dip into the ibuprofen goodness?
Forgot my knee brace tonight, so I decided to try everything without it and see how it went.

Felt it twinge 15 mins into cardio, it went away after a few minutes but I stopped at 20 mins. Kept the weights lower since tonight was lower body & core, so far it's feeling OK. Hope it stays OK. If it's at all swollen in the AM, I'm in trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Presses. Laying tricep extensions. Cable face pulls. Yippee

Take a double dip into the ibuprofen goodness?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I lucked out, no swelling or issues this morning. It's been almost 3 years since I tore my meniscus so I've been overly cautious for a bit. The osteoarthritis is always there, though, which stinks.

Ended my first week of starting strength workouts yesterday. Feeling it a but this morning, but that's a good sign. Really liking that workout. Straightforward without wasting a lot of time.

Ended my first week of starting strength workouts yesterday. Feeling it a but this morning, but that's a good sign. Really liking that workout. Straightforward without wasting a lot of time.
It is very straightforward. It can get boring, but it's the best program for beginners. Don't forget your recovery. I don't know you're height and weight, but you may need to eat more than you think.

It is very straightforward. It can get boring, but it's the best program for beginners. Don't forget your recovery. I don't know you're height and weight, but you may need to eat more than you think.
5'9.5" 171 last night. I've always eaten three meals a day. luckily we have a lot of fruit available at work for free so anytime I feel any hunger I'm eating something. Not drinking a gallon of milk a day, but drinking more than I normally do.

Luckily my wife says I need to put on some weight so I don't get judged for eating a lot.

5'9.5" 171 last night. I've always eaten three meals a day. luckily we have a lot of fruit available at work for free so anytime I feel any hunger I'm eating something. Not drinking a gallon of milk a day, but drinking more than I normally do.

Luckily my wife says I need to put on some weight so I don't get judged for eating a lot.
You are a lucky man. If you're goal is to beef up, or as some in the know call it "dirty bulk", drink more whole milk than you think you need to. Not all at one sitting. But throughout the day.

You are a lucky man. If you're goal is to beef up, or as some in the know call it "dirty bulk", drink more whole milk than you think you need to. Not all at one sitting. But throughout the day.
Noted!

I've been commanded to work on my pecs. Haha.

Noted!

I've been commanded to work on my pecs. Haha.
Bench press and overhead press. It may take a few weeks, but with enough food and the proper linear progression, they will grow.

Bench press and overhead press. It may take a few weeks, but with enough food and the proper linear progression, they will grow.
How convenient that they are part of the program?

How convenient that they are part of the program?
I'm not the genius who picked them. But they're selection is pretty simple. We get big by getting strong. We get strong by lifting heavy weights. The two pushing lifts that do that the best are the bench and overhead press. Don't think of the press as a shoulder lift, it's a press, any press will work the pecs.

for belts lever or velcro? want something easy to remove when needed and not have to fight a single or double prong belt?

for belts lever or velcro? want something easy to remove when needed and not have to fight a single or double prong belt?
I could talk way too much about belts. I have three different belts. For most people on this board, any belt of a consistent diameter will suffice. The best velcro belts on the market are Spud Belts. Contraband makes a very good velcro belt that's pretty darn affordable.

I use a 3 ply spud belt. It is velcro and have never had an issue with it coming undone. A lot of guys I know only use it to deadlift but I use mine on all the lifts with no issue.
I have never used a lever belt so I can't comment on that. I agree that fighting the 2 prong belts can be frustrating at times.

I use a 3 ply spud belt. It is velcro and have never had an issue with it coming undone. A lot of guys I know only use it to deadlift but I use mine on all the lifts with no issue.
I have never used a lever belt so I can't comment on that. I agree that fighting the 2 prong belts can be frustrating at times.
Should be nited, for anybody who cares, Spud Belts are not IPF approved. Not that it really matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back