ASU Karsten - Tempe, AZ

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
Since this is going to be my home course while I work on getting my game back since my injury I figured I would post a review.

Code:
Name: ASU Karsten

Par 70

Professional- 7002 yards
Championship-6288 yards
Regular-5671 yards
Forward- 4765 yards

ASU Karsten plays like two completely different courses depending on the tees you choose. From the tips it is one of the hardest courses I have ever played but from the championship/Regular tees it is one of the most fun.

Some of the standout things for me (I don't want to ruin the course for some people):

The first hole is a short par 4 (402 from Pro and 341 from Champs) with a slight dogleg right. Great way to start a round of golf in my opinion because even with a bad tee shot from first tee jitters you can still save par.

The fifth hole is one that my friends and I all wish was still a par 5 (was changed to a 4 a few years ago). Huge beach on the right side of the fairway that just seems to suck tee shots into it and doesn't let them out very easily. Second shot is over a nice ridge that blocks a narrow green about 200 yards out for most people. Taking a 5 or a 6 here is considered good.

Overall ratings:

Clubhouse-B Simple yet effective
Teeboxes-A Grass wasn't too long and they do a good job moving them around so you don't play out of divots
Greens-B+ Some were great others had some interesting ball marks left on them
Bunkers-B- This is probably just me...coming from Washington I cant stand rock hard bunkers.
Practice Facilities-A+ Long driving range, Large putting green, and a huge chipping practice area (located between the 1st, 2nd, and 9th hole)
Staff-B+ Cart ladies are friendly on the course and back at the clubhouse they keep things pretty well organized.

Overall - A

I have always been a huge fan of ASU Karsten. It's always a cool diversion to watch the private jets on takeoff and landing.

My favorite course in AZ hands down. Maybe its because it's my old school but I absolutely love everytime I play that course. Spot on with your observations on the teeboxes! It does play different.

Thanks for the review! Since getting back into golf a few months ago it has been high on my "courses to play list", and it is only 4 miles from my house. I will have to check it out soon.

Man we have to grab a round there! I'm not very good so you'll have be ok with me hacking every so often haha.

Thanks for the review! Since getting back into golf a few months ago it has been high on my "courses to play list", and it is only 4 miles from my house. I will have to check it out soon.

Man we have to grab a round there! I'm not very good so you'll have be ok with me hacking every so often haha.

Yeah that would be a lot of fun man, I'm not a consistantly good golfer myself either, lol. I only have been back into it for 3 months or so now. You work Monday mornings? Its my favorite day for golf.

the rumors are that asu is getting rid of the course and putting up buildings there instead. haven't been a fan of the new president of asu or his ideas and this one especially. we all need to get in our rounds there before it's too late!

anyways, karsten is a fun course and if you ever get to play it when it's set up for a collegiate event do so! it becomes an entirely different course once again and in that configuration will add several strokes to your game no matter what tee box you play from! it will either give you an appreciation for how good those guys really are or piss you off to no end!!!

the rumors are that asu is getting rid of the course and putting up buildings there instead. haven't been a fan of the new president of asu or his ideas and this one especially. we all need to get in our rounds there before it's too late!

anyways, karsten is a fun course and if you ever get to play it when it's set up for a collegiate event do so! it becomes an entirely different course once again and in that configuration will add several strokes to your game no matter what tee box you play from! it will either give you an appreciation for how good those guys really are or piss you off to no end!!!

Man o man, that would be horrible. Michael Crow made so many bad decisions while I was attending ASU, and I agree with you, this would be one of his worst ideas. I didn't know a single student that was a fan of Crow.

Man o man, that would be horrible. Michael Crow made so many bad decisions while I was attending ASU, and I agree with you, this would be one of his worst ideas. I didn't know a single student that was a fan of Crow.

You can add me to that list! I'm not a huge fan of Karsten, but I play it every few years. We should get a 4some together! Yuccos and I have been talkin about getting together after the Morgan Cup. But can we wait a bit til it cools off? I have a bad heart and heat isn't friendly to me :)

I think it'd be awesome to meet some THP members & new golfing buddies!

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

You can add me to that list! I'm not a huge fan of Karsten, but I play it every few years. We should get a 4some together! Yuccos and I have been talkin about getting together after the Morgan Cup. But can we wait a bit til it cools off? I have a bad heart and heat isn't friendly to me :)

I think it'd be awesome to meet some THP members & new golfing buddies!

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Yeah man that would be a lot of fun. I hear you on the heat, in the summer I mostly stick to 6-7am tee times and try to get off the course before it hits 100.

The school course would probably change to Papago...hosted some LPGA event a while back. Havent played it because I refuse to pay that much for a course while I am in school. I believe it is 7300 yards from the tips so it could easily work for collegiate golf.

EDIT- I will be back in AZ on friday if you all want to get together for a round sometime (I am already nervous about thinking of playing with people from here)

C0ncept don't be nervous!!!!!!!!!!!! Usually as long as noone is a tool, you'll have fun. I don't see anyone as a tool so we should be good to go. I'm not great and honestly skill level doesn't matter. It's just about getting together for a round. It will be a blast.

Finally played ASU Karsten today for the first time with c0ncept. Its an awesome course and tons of fun to play, and surely offers a challenge. I was randomly selected as 'golfer of the day' and received the round free, as well as a sleeve of ASU logo ProV1s, and a pyramid of range balls. It made for a much sweeter experience.

Love that course! Congrats dude. Really wish I could've joined you all.

Yeah totally man, most normal people have work obligations on Monday, haha. We should all catch a Sunday round sometime after you are done with the Morgan Cup though.

You missed out on some amazing sun! seriously though AZ golf sucks this time of year (course was in great shape though)

i wish i could have played with you guys today. i can ussually schedule any morning off if i have a bit of advance notice. today i already had the morning off but other issues to attend to otherwise i would have loved to join you guys. i think another get-together is in order when it cools down! ;)

i wish i could have played with you guys today. i can ussually schedule any morning off if i have a bit of advance notice. today i already had the morning off but other issues to attend to otherwise i would have loved to join you guys. i think another get-together is in order when it cools down! ;)

You mean IF it cools down lol. I totally agree though I think we could have a nice 4 some.

Wish I could've joined as well. Hopefully next time!

Haha just booked another round for tomorrow morning, this course rocks.

According to OB Sports, you can join the "Champions Club" at Karsten for $99 which lasts thru the end of 2012. But isn't Karsten supposed to be bulldozed before then? Maybe OB Sports knows something that the rest of us don't. This club gives preferred rates for you & 3 guests, 10% off sale items, 20% non-sale items, and a free round on your bday.

Link to the Champions Club

According to OB Sports, you can join the "Champions Club" at Karsten for $99 which lasts thru the end of 2012. But isn't Karsten supposed to be bulldozed before then? Maybe OB Sports knows something that the rest of us don't. This club gives preferred rates for you & 3 guests, 10% off sale items, 20% non-sale items, and a free round on your bday.

Link to the Champions Club

Thats pretty sweet, I wonder how much it is with the discount. And I think that date I posted is when the lease is up, but they are speculating when they will not renew it again I guess.

The 17th hole is interesting because it is right in the path of arriving airline traffic to Sky Harbor Intl, and a planes shadow shoots down the fairway every 3 or so minutes. I took a quick video while standing on the green looking back towards the fairway, where you can see the shadow blaze by.

Back