anybody a garage club maker/ tinkerer?

you coulda started your own company called deadly clubs... hahaha...

ill take pics but it wont be that exciting... ill just be tinkering with regripping and pulling off the heads in an attempt to not damage anything worse than what it is...
basically get the 'feel' of actually doing this stuff with crappy clubs before i even attempt to do it on one of the clubs i actually want to play with

I want to see when you get into and start making design changes! I can only imagine what THP's influence will have on club design!

I def think you can handle regripping clubs fairly inexpensively, as for shafting is a little more involved but with the right tools and some mechanical inclanation you should be fine...
As for me, for the past few years I've been refinishing/restoring various older ping irons (zing 2, eyes, etc) and find it very fun and have had great results...I now have a collection of very great condition vintage clubs that are still some of the most playable irons/wedges out there....would be happy to share some of the steps involved, if interested PM me...thx

I want to see when you get into and start making design changes! I can only imagine what THP's influence will have on club design!
man thats gonna be a lonnnnnnng way off if ever... hahaha
I def think you can handle regripping clubs fairly inexpensively, as for shafting is a little more involved but with the right tools and some mechanical inclanation you should be fine...
As for me, for the past few years I've been refinishing/restoring various older ping irons (zing 2, eyes, etc) and find it very fun and have had great results...I now have a collection of very great condition vintage clubs that are still some of the most playable irons/wedges out there....would be happy to share some of the steps involved, if interested PM me...thx

thanks... if i come across any trouble with my "experiment" youll be on my "help!!!" list... haha

so i regripped my nickent 4h and my tour tech gap wedge with black widow tour silk grips...
i am no longer a regripping virgin!
it was pretty easy except for the old grip tape on the wedge was a bummer to get off...
my work area
S5030917.jpg

my supplies
S5030918-1.jpg

the crappy grip tape on the old wedge
S5030919.jpg

new grip on my gw
S5030920.jpg

new grip on my 4h
S5030921.jpg

grass backdrop
S5030922.jpg

Those white grips look great. Nice job.

thanks... now my next experiment is reshafting... but i am not gonna use a club that im currently playing... hahaha... im gonna get a crappy old club and mess around with it

Great job regripping Bogey! :thumb: It's actually kind of fun working on clubs, isn't it?

Great job regripping Bogey! :thumb: It's actually kind of fun working on clubs, isn't it?

no doubt... i wanna take apart all my clubs now... hahaha... but im definately gonna practice on old ones first

no doubt... i wanna take apart all my clubs now... hahaha... but im definately gonna practice on old ones first

Or your friends clubs...for free of course. haha

hahaha... got any brand new clubs you want me to reshaft bonk?

Funny you ask - I'd consider a TM Superfast if you gave me a Miyazaki blue as a early birthday present!

Bogey_Russ, for old tape on the shaft just use a heat gun/blow drier on the tape. It will make it easier to remove the tape.

Bogey_Russ, for old tape on the shaft just use a heat gun/blow drier on the tape. It will make it easier to remove the tape.
thanks for the tip

Funny you ask - I'd consider a TM Superfast if you gave me a Miyazaki blue as a early birthday present!
lolz... if you let me reshaft it be prepared for it to come back as a driving wedge... hahaha
sweet... ill have to remember that

painted my putter and one of my drivers
also reshafted my putter

s5031541.jpg

s5031542.jpg

s5031543.jpg

s5031545.jpg

s5031546.jpg

s5031547.jpg

I've thought about getting into the club tinkering stuff in my garage , but I have so many automotive tools in there now .

Looks neat Russ! Did you paint the face on the driver too?

From the iPhone.

i taped the face as best i could and it didnt turn out too bad
i tried to cut an "oval" out hahaha
im going to add a few more layers of paint tho later

Driver looks good Russ, have you noticed if the paint changed the weighting of the club at all? Today I am going to be regripping all of the Di11's with my new favorite grip the UST Mamiya PC tour grips. Will post pics when done.

i taped the face as best i could and it didnt turn out too bad
i tried to cut an "oval" out hahaha
im going to add a few more layers of paint tho later
Dont forget , paint will add weight to the head . may not be much but each coat will add weight . Just a thought ;) Plus the thicker it is the easier it will chip .

I change my own grips. I may order a shaft puller. With some of the newer drivers you just screw em out and screw em in :thumb:

Last edited:
i didnt notice any weight change but my putter is more muted cuz i actually painted the face of that one hahaha

after reading a few posts im starting to get that itch to wanna try reshafting...
im gonna do alot of research of course and use my old crappy clubs as guinea pigs

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. My Pops has some old fairways that he doesn't use and I'd like to test out the process because re-shafting my own hybrid or fairway. We talked about this in another thread but re-gripping is truly the "gateway drug" of the club tinkering World. As I've seen, many people that re-grip their clubs eventually delve into shaft, lie, loft, ect, ect. I'm not super handy in the garage, but I think after a few videos on youtube and some research I'll give the re-shafting thing a swing!

Russ, What kind of Paint did you use to paint your driver? Very interesting, is the paint a matted finish like SF 2.0 and R11?

painted my putter and one of my drivers
also reshafted my putter

s5031541.jpg

s5031542.jpg

s5031543.jpg

s5031545.jpg

s5031546.jpg

s5031547.jpg

Back