Club fitting: What should i expect?

Seabass1

Reaction score
Handicap
?
I have finally come to the conclusion that a club fitting is way overdue. I am 33 and have played golf off and on since I was a kid but could never really justify opening the wallet for equipment...
I have always used a hand-me-down clubs and have to manufactrure a swing tempo to fit the clubs (mainly driver) that I have at the time. So, instead of going out and swinging freely I spend too much time thinking.
I am convinced that it is time for a fitting...and I think that I am ready to finally own a driver that is made for ME!

Will I need to ask the club fitter questions(bc I have about 1000) or should I just shut up and let him figure it out?? What can I expect from the whole process??

Ask tons of questions and go in with an open mind.

The clubfitter should be asking you questions, not the other way around. You should be telling him what you feel and he should be making suggestions based on what he and the monitors say. Make sure to try any clubs he suggests and any you think you might want. The ball flight will tell the true story on what you should be hitting. Most of all....have fun! It took me 3 tries to find the right clubfitter, but once I did it was truely fun and also a learning experience. The results have shown on the course.

You should expect to have a perfect fitting Driver. :D.. Sorry couldn't resist.. Good luck have fun..

ok, how will I know it is the 'right' clubfitter...
AND how much of a difference does it make doing the fitting inside vs. outside on the range?? Personally, I would be way more comfortable outside where I can actually SEE the ball flight rather than a monitor...

I am a very thorough person and if I am going to do this I don't want to be in there for 10 minutes and rushed out with the fitters biased opinion on what driver to buy...even though I have my own biases :)

I guess my concern is my lack of knowledge regarding shafts and how they perform. That is where I will have most questions...

The clubfitter should be asking you questions, not the other way around. You should be telling him what you feel and he should be making suggestions based on what he and the monitors say. Make sure to try any clubs he suggests and any you think you might want. The ball flight will tell the true story on what you should be hitting. Most of all....have fun! It took me 3 tries to find the right clubfitter, but once I did it was truely fun and also a learning experience. The results have shown on the course.

I know when I had my first, I asked many questions and the fitter asked many as well. You can't just go 100% on what you are told, you need to ask some questions to be clear on several things. JMO of course.

ok, how will I know it is the 'right' clubfitter...

I also wonder about this. Is it just based on his "suggestions"? Is it based on his knowledge of golf? What's the "IT" factor on choosing a club fitter

I know when I had my first, I asked many questions and the fitter asked many as well. You can't just go 100% on what you are told, you need to ask some questions to be clear on several things. JMO of course.

Oh reading my post now I see how that could be taken, I didn't mean not to ask questions. DEFINITELY ask a ton of questions! I just meant that the clubfitter should be asking you questions on what you feel, see, like... etc. He's the expert, he should be making adjustments based on what he sees combined with your feedback. Sometimes though you do have to speak up to get what you want.

To the OP, I highly recommend someplace with an outdoor range. There is no substitute for seeing the actual flight of the ball.

Back