Acushnet Loses Advertising Claim Challenge To Bridgestone

Seems to me that Titleist was more concerned about Bridgestone's use of the phrase "#1 ball in..." which of course is Titleists line (#1 ball in golf).

But the probably couldn't go after Bridgestone for the use of the phrase so they chose instead to go after them for their fitting claims hoping for any kind of victory that might serve to kill the "#1 ball..." campaign.
The first time I heard Bridgestone's commercial where they said they were the "#1 ball fitter", I thought to myself that Titleist was gonna be pissed.

I must say I am disappointed by the negativity directed toward Titleist and Accushnet. They make and market some of the best and most popular clubs, balls, shoes and gloves available.

If you choose to support your preferred products, for whatever reason, wonderful.

Bridgestone offers an amazing and free ball fitting service and advertises as such. Do you see Titleist at local ranges/courses every week offering golf ball fittings to everyday golfers? I sure the hell don't. What is wrong with Bridgestone's advertising? Titleist is the aggressor here and brought this upon themselves.

Exactly

Bridgestone offers an amazing and free ball fitting service and advertises as such. Do you see Titleist at local ranges/courses every week offering golf ball fittings to everyday golfers? I sure the hell don't. What is wrong with Bridgestone's advertising? Titleist is the aggressor here and brought this upon themselves.

Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that Titleist /Acushnet makes a great product.

Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that Titleist /Acushnet makes a great product.

Who ever questioned that?

I must say I am disappointed by the negativity directed toward Titleist and Accushnet. They make and market some of the best and most popular clubs, balls, shoes and gloves available.

If you choose to support your preferred products, for whatever reason, wonderful.

Sure do. They make some great products. So does every OEM. However I dont think the thoughts here are about their products.

I have not seen that questioned one bit. They make great products. So do a lot of companies. People choose their products for whatever reason and their feelings about the company certainly plays a role.

I had to LOL a little while reading this. Acushnet sure comes across badly here. Sour grapes. Things like this really bother me, anyways good for Bridgestone.

An email from Golfsmith said there will be titleist ball fitting. I went. After asking about my game, the rep handed me two prov1s and two prov1xs to take to thumbup course and a card to mark down my impressions on. I was surprised.

I think this is great for Bridgestone and if you think about it, they have been more aggressive on golf balls and fittings the last few years compared to Titleist and yes even the Penta ball I play. Bridgestone makes a fine product and I have played their golf balls a number of times. But here's what gets me on Titleist fittings...why would you base your fittings based on green to tee? It never has made sense to me.

hahaha. Eat it Titleist! You scoffed at fittings and then tried to embrace it when your product range does not suit all golfers. Now you take a gut shot and look more like asses than you have in the past. Take that White Coats! I don't like Titleist even though I like some of their products.

Why is everyone taking this so personally?

Judging by many of the comments on this thread, a casual observer might think that you all work for Bridgestone or at least have stock in the company.

An email from Golfsmith said there will be titleist ball fitting. I went. After asking about my game, the rep handed me two prov1s and two prov1xs to take to thumbup course and a card to mark down my impressions on. I was surprised.

Ha - that proves the entire point of why Bridgestone ball fitting is superior to that of Titleist and they claim it as such.

Judging by many of the comments on this thread, a casual observer might think that you all work for Bridgestone or at least have stock in the company.

Wow - really? Bridgestone has a superior ball fitting...don't think that can be debated. I happen to play Srixon.

This is a golf forum and we discuss OEM's and their actions...nothing personal.

Taking it personally? I dont see that.

But I have to say, that you saying that makes me actually laugh out loud!
Based on the last few days on THP.

Edit: If Titleist wants to be the #1 ball fitter, they should make strides to be that and not attack a company who they know to out fit them.

Last edited:

No one said that. This claim was brought over a statement not a product. Bridgestone makes a great ball and so does Titleist. The difference is Bridgestone is so much more accesible for ball fittings and they can help you pick out the ball best suited to your game.

why would you base your fittings based on green to tee?

Because that's where you score. I play on small, well protected greens. I want my ball to STOP not GO.

Would I like five more yards off the tee? Sure, but I rather be five feet closer to the hole at the other end.

No offense to Bridgestone or their fitting but when I went they did not ask about my handicap or my preferences; they just measured my swing and ball speed and recommended a ball that I hated.

I like their products - even their tires.

I'm a consumer. Titleist has told me for years that they are the #1 ball in golf and the #1 ball fitter in golf and that they like to fit consumers on where balls are most important (from 50 yards and in). You've never seen the ads? And now they've just been proven wrong. By someone who's a 3rd party, with no vested interest in golf whatsoever, just hard facts. It's called breaking through marketing hype. It's one of the platforms that THP was founded on. I don't take reports like these personally or my feelings towards titleist/acushnet. As a fan of golf and equipment and testing, it's nice to see someone caught with their pants down. That's all.

Because that's where you score. I play on small, well protected greens. I want my ball to STOP not GO.

Would I like five more yards off the tee? Sure, but I rather be five feet closer to the hole at the other end.

No offense to Bridgestone or their fitting but when I went they did not ask about my handicap or my preferences; they just measured my swing and ball speed and recommended a ball that I hated.

Where on earth did you experience a Bstone fitting like that? Seriously.

I don't get why you're disappointed... They tried to take a shot at Bridgestone and failed miserably. It looks terrible that they spend their time attacking other companies rather than refining their own process and producing equipment for all players on the golf spectrum.. Sure, the ProV1 is a brilliant golf ball, but the quality of ball ends there. There are so many better options than the nxt or dt lines from other companies, and Bridgestone is at the forefront (in terms of mid-range golf balls).

I think that the reason you base fitting off the tee is because it is the most violent swing in golf and the one that will have the most compression and distortion in a golf ball. Measuring spin is quite easy and most premium balls (as was shown by golf digest) spin similarly around the green.

But if you read the article, its clear that only ONE company is actually doing the fitting the other is not. This is not really about who makes a better product, because both products are quite good. Its about a ridiculous claim by one company that was rejected as it should have been.

I don't get why you're disappointed... They tried to take a shot at Bridgestone and failed miserably. It looks terrible that they spend their time attacking other companies rather than refining their own process and producing equipment for all players on the golf spectrum.. Sure, the ProV1 is a brilliant golf ball, but the quality of ball ends there. There are so many better options than the nxt or dt lines from other companies, and Bridgestone is at the forefront (in terms of mid-range golf balls).

+Freakin1 Dan! Great post.

This is extremely well said.

Taking it personally? I dont see that.

But I have to say, that you saying that makes me actually laugh out loud!
Based on the last few days on THP.

Are we reading the same thread?

"Hahaha. This makes Acushnet look like such losers. "
"Ha - that's great. Good for Bridgestone! This has to irk Titleist to no end"
"Acushnet looks stupid"
"WOW, that was a great read, and good for Bridgestone, and HAHAHAHA Titleist."
"The Evil Empire takes a hit."
"It's like when Luke Skywalker shot down the Death Star. I love this!"
"Titleist....the #1 Fraud in Golf"
"I have doubts when knowing Titleist's lack of affiliation with THP (perhaps the wrong term but get my point) and then crap like this."

None of this seems "personal" to you?

I can understand people getting all worked up over a team or a player...

...but corporations? :D

All a bunch of "lawyering up" B.S. That's why corporations have gigantic legal departments. To clog up the system with this type of garbage.

I'm #1.
No, you're not. I am.
Nu-uhhh.
Uh-huuh.
Oh ya. I'm suing.
Go ahead. I'll counter sue.
Same tee time, Friday.
Sure. See you then.

Now, we know where the Judge Smails character comes from.
http://www.carlspackler.com/sounds/167.mp3
Danny: I'll play.
Judge: I guess you don't want that scholarship, do ya?
Danny: I guess I don't."
Judge: I guess you don't. I guess you don't

Nothing worse than a few type-A personality lawyers getting put in the same room.

Back