Odd Day at the Course, What are the odds?

masterkaj

Reaction score
Handicap
So I am getting surgery this Tuesday on my ankle to remove my OS Trigonum and scope the joint (I sprained it bad around 2 years ago). I figured I might as well get one last good round of golf in before I have to rehab for a few months.

The first 12 holes I was striking the ball great and had a decent score for me (3 over at the time). However, after a great drive on 13 I was waiting in my cart for the other people to hit their approach shots, when I feel a sharp pain in my right hand; a bee/wasp stung me. I had never been stung before and am not scared of bee's/wasps (I've hit out of brush filled with them), but I was still surprised by how unlucky I was to be stung right where I grip the club.

There wasn't any question about me finishing the round, so I keep playing through. Then one hole later I get stung in my left hand, right where I grip again. SERIOUSLY? Two times in one day, when I had not been stung ever before in my life.

Needless to say, I ended up 12 over with slightly swollen and painful palms. Was kind of pissed cause I was having a great day, and it turned into a mediocre one.

Anyways, after such a weird day I figured I ask if anyone else has ever had something odd happen while golfing, something that sticks out and will probably NEVER happen again.

In Arizona I was walking down the fairway and stepped into a giant mud pit that swallowed half my leg and took my shoe off...Never expected to see mud in the fairway let alone a deep hole like that. I didnt notice anything that would have shown there was mud (plus its arizona) and I had to play barefoot the rest of the round while my friends kept making fun of me.

I hope your hands are alright though that is super unlucky.

Wow two very odd stories. I did something similar to the mudpit except I didn't lose my shoe. The ground near the green looked just a touch damp and when I stepped on it I went in past my ankle. I stopped by the clubhouse at the turn and cleaned my foot. As for the stings I'm glad your OK and didn't find out the hard way that you were allergic. I had a friend almost die when he was 16 and stung for the first time.

I have bad ankles too, but nothing that serious, hopefully all goes well. That's really unlucky to get stung twice too, and the two mud stories.. That's just downright stupid, hopefully the course management has stepped up their game a bit since then. My story is the opposite, I got lucky (for once). I had almost no room behind a tree (sprayed one of the tee box) so all I could do is flop one over and hope it came about 15 yards or so to the fringe. So I open up a 60* do the deed and lower my head, ready for another attempted up-and-down. I walk over and see no ball on the other side, just my playing partners on the green. So I ask my foursome, "did you guys see me come out?" and supposidly I kicked twice off the cart path, then off a greenside sprinkler head and it nestled itself by the hole for a tap-in bird. Hard to believe, I know, I was shocked too. Needless to say, I couldn't do that again if I tried.

Good luck with the surgery masterkaj, that story is unlike any I had heard of on the course, 2 different stings on 2 different holes, unreal.

Good luck on Tuesday! Wow! I don't think I can top the back to back bee stings. Ouch!

In Arizona I was walking down the fairway and stepped into a giant mud pit that swallowed half my leg and took my shoe off...Never expected to see mud in the fairway let alone a deep hole like that. I didnt notice anything that would have shown there was mud (plus its arizona) and I had to play barefoot the rest of the round while my friends kept making fun of me.

I hope your hands are alright though that is super unlucky.

Hate to say it but I would find it funny if I was with you too, but would be a little pissed if it actually happened to me. Was it marked? They should buy you a new pair of shoes.

A few years ago i was down in Florida, and my uncle hit a shot into a ditch. From the edge of the ditch, it looked like solid ground, and i could see the ball as well, so I jumped in. Turns out it was a pit full of mud, and when I got out, I was covered head to toe in mud. I ended up going to a house near the course and rinsing myself off with a garden hose.

I had something odd happen at the course today, but in a completely different way. Went up to my usual golf course for a quick round before work this afternoon, was on the 5th hole, playing behind another loner, with a twosome in front of him. I slice the tar out of my driver, and it lands on the 6th fairway. I run over to the area behind the two fairways, and wait for the twosome to finish teeing off before I run over to my ball. All three balls end up in the same area, so I wait on them to get to theirs before heading onto their hole. Once they get close they motion me over. When I pull up to them, I realize it is a close friend growing up and his dad. I grew up at their house since our mom's were best friends. I had not seen either of them in probably 5 years. It was incredibly random to run into them on the course like that. If I had not sliced that drive, I would have never known it was them.

I had a great time playing golf with them, we actually played together a good bit as kids. He stuck with it and is a damn good golfer, I did not and well, I'm not much of one. We are definitely going to start playing together again, and me and my dad and him and his dad are planning to play together soon.

bees stings are the worst. I had a bee crawl into a soda can once. I took a big gulp and got stung on the inside of my upper lip. Only hurt for a minute but it swelled up pretty big. My buddies laughed at me the rest of the round.

BTW- i still check my soda cans to this day cause I would never want another lip sting.

I got nailed by a yellow jacket about a month ago. They are the worst for painful stings. While they are about one tenth the size of your normal hornet the sting is about ten times worse. In my case while my dad was highly allergic I am mildly allergic. So one month later I still have the remnants of a rash about two inches in diameter right around the sting itself.

Try to avoid yellow jackets at all costs as they are the sting that you will remember, allergic or not.

Some interesting stories here, I can't say that I've ever had anything that strange happen to me as of yet. Knock on wood and all that...

Very interesting stories all of these. I have never had something near this strange happen to me

Back