Do you take lessons? Who with?

I didn't realize Steve was Golftec. He was a teacher at Arundel for many years with Jim.
I may be mistaken on the Golftec part. But it's definitely Steve. Went by and talked to him today. I have a lesson booked Tuesday afternoon, if it doesn't get snowed out.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Nope, I don't take lessons. Did a little bit in the past not last year or this year

For those that do take lessons, how long are the your sessions? 30 mins? 1 hour? I ask because the Pro I will be using offers both. Just curious if those that do take 30 min lessons feel like they get enough in that timespan.

For those that do take lessons, how long are the your sessions? 30 mins? 1 hour? I ask because the Pro I will be using offers both. Just curious if those that do take 30 min lessons feel like they get enough in that timespan.

I normally go for an hour. I use 30 min sessions if I just need him to look at something when I feel like things are just a little off

I am using Don Rasmussen at Del Mar Golf Center. The first lesson I had with him he only had me work on my grip and getting my lower body working. Didn't change everything that needed to change but on subsequent lessons he added things to work on. He doesn't try to fit a swing to you, he works with what you are capable of. Had a short game session with him and learned a lot. Finally had him look at my putting and he is getting that part of my game straightened out. I don't need to see him every week, probably did the first 3 or 4 lessons on consecutive weeks. Then I would work on my own trying to groove what he has shown me. I will probably go back for putting in a week or two to have him look at what I am doing again. I plan on going back every 4-6 weeks to have him look at my swing to ensure I am not developing any bad habits. Also want to get some bunker work with him. Don teaches a lot of young children, he seems to be the go-to instructor for that at Del Mar.

My lessons are 30 minutes and then I go hit another 100 balls or so afterwards. For me I can be shown what to do but I need to learn the feel of doing it right myself.

Thanks for the feedback. He has the option for a 4 session special which are 30 min a piece. I may start with that and go from there.

I have two:

Ben Pellicani, SeeMore SPi Instructor and Lipscomb University assistant golf coach
Shawn Clement, of YouTube fame, whom I've had several lessons with

Took a bunch of lessons at Golftec, in all honesty it didn't help.
I won't say my instructor was bad but failed to understand my issues.
Online self lessons with Rotary Swing was a tremendous help.

Saturday can't get here soon enough. Its going to be work, a lot of work, to break habits, but I know there is a waaaaay better golfer lurking than I've ever let out on the course.

Scared. Excited. But know I'm in good hands.

I've taken lessons on and off for the last 10 years or so. Since Nighthawk Golf Center is 10 minutes from my house, I started with John Siegenthaler and switched over to Don Slebodnik to get a different perspective on teaching approaches. I ended up getting a 5 pack of lessons from Don which I use when either I'm having some serious issues in my swing, at the beginning of the season and mid-way through the golf swing. My goals were to get my swing consistent. Funny thing though, the last couple of times I went to him, my swing was solid and he only had a few suggestions for me. Next day on the course, back to the old swing. Go figure.

Saturday can't get here soon enough. Its going to be work, a lot of work, to break habits, but I know there is a waaaaay better golfer lurking than I've ever let out on the course.

Scared. Excited. But know I'm in good hands.

Good luck, Jman! Are you gonna be updating in this thread? I think this might be a good place for those taking lessons to give updates.

Starting up later this month. Per the recommendation of a few THPERS and a guy here at work

Scott Galayde at Windmill Golf Center
http://windmillgolfcenter.com/

Cool! You'll have to let us know how it's going. I'd be interested in taking lessons there too at some point - if your experience is good.

Cool! You'll have to let us know how it's going. I'd be interested in taking lessons there too at some point - if your experience is good.
I think I'm going to start a thread, not sure if it'll be just for me or if it will be a lesson update thread for all. Contrary to popular belief I'm not a big look at me guy haha

Good luck Jman, hardest thing is to break the old habits. You think you're doing it...but your not. We try to shorten my swing, I try it, watch it on the video and I ask my guy id that was the swing I just took or the one before it. He laughs.

To be honest, video is a must because I feel like its shorter, and its no different than my normal swing unless I go "extreme".

I remember way back taking lessons and my pro trying to improve my posture. I forget what the problem was but he wanted to correct my posture first. Man, it felt uncomfortable. I ended up hitting balls at the range like that, felt uncomfortable, ball still not going. By the end of the bucket I had changed my posture back to comfortable and the ballflight was fine.

Fast forward to 5-8 years later... I start working at this place with video equipment. I see myself with a down the line view... oh my God... poststure sooo bad its a wonder I could play as well as I did. I grabbed the guy there that was our pro at the time and he agreed...slpit screened me with a Tour pro and and I looked at the video until I was in the same posture as the tour pro and it felt uncomfortable like 5 years ago...I remembered that feeling.

Now, I stuck with it. I knew that if it was uncomfortable it was right. Eventually it was no longer uncomfortable and all was right in the world.

For the first time, I prefer an hour as there is usually a lot to go over. From that point 30 minutes is fine, although the instructor I'm about to start with has 45 minutes, it seems to be a good combination. You can spend 10 to 15 minutes talking and getting a feel for where you are and what you want to work on, and then still have 30 minutes of actual instruction time.

I've never had lessons, but my wife bought me a 5 lesson pack for Christmas. I'm really looking forward to it, but will wait another month or so for warmer weather.

I had a 4 pack of 30 minute lessons with Cindy Miller. An hour per lesson would have been much better IMO.

I can't brag on our club pro Chuck McNeight enough. This will be the fourth summer I've taken lessons from him and my handicap has dropped substantially. He usually spends 30 minutes out on the range with me whenever I ask him to, and I can get him to go out on the course with me when we can both fit it in. He and I get along really well, and I really admire his methods. Not a bad player either!

I don't take lessons now per se. Used to take lessons on a regular basis but the guy who knew me best moved, so for a while I took a few with different pros but could never find the right guy.

About 3 years ago I befriended a guy from NJ who used to play mini tours and we've become regular playing partners. Went through a big swing change 2 1/2 years ago with him and he's helped me get back to my "authentic swing", the one I had in high school but now better. We don't do lessons, but I'll ask him to take a look at something while we're playing or hitting balls or he'll see something and make a suggestion.

I take them regularly but unfortunately my instructor just took a new gig running a golf course back home in Iowa so I'm without an instructor for the time.

I try to schedule the last slot of the day. No rush to finish the lesson and sometimes I get an extra 10-15 minutes out of the instructor.

My only teacher was my father, and those (golf) lessons stopped 15 years ago. If I ever wanted to get back to scratch I might consider it, but I don't see the value in it currently. I know my swing well enough and can figure out most things with my cell phone camera.

Back