Swing Thought From Fairway

Look at target... look at ball... swing.. no thoughts..

Man Hawk you are right on. I have a HUGE problem getting comfortable when I am getting ready to swing.

Too close to the ball
No, too far away
Don't squeeze so tight
No, squeeze harder
Aimed to far right
No wait, aim more right
Move the Ball back farther
Leave the ball where it is
Then i back off two or three times and get frustrated and say screw it all and just swing. That usualy works out better for me than if i swing while thinking all of this.

My thoughts lately have been something like this: Just swing hard and hope you can get this 7 iron out there 130 yards. Then after the swing: Wow, I caught that one well, it's probably gonna fly the green! What?! How the heck did that ball come up short? Why am I hitting my 7 iron 25 yards shorter than I was 2 years ago? Is it my swing or is my body betraying me at only 34 years of age? I sure wish I wasn't so addicted to golf because I need to give it up!

I've been working through a few faults I had with my irons so I have a few things I think about and I'm thinking about them less and less as I fix them.

Proper takeaway - not rolling wrists when going back
Shorter swing
Hitting down and through
Good tempo
Staying connected

I'm trying to stop thinking so much once I get up to the ball but these things go through my mind before I step up to it.

I have a sequence of thougths

Target
How's my ball position?
I think my ball position is off.
No, it's ok.
How's my grip?
My grip is too tight!
I think it's too weak as well.
Target.
Swing away a bit to the inside.
Not too far inside!
Get a full shoulder turn.
I said a FULL TURN.
Maybe I should stop.
Oh no. Here we go.
DAMNIT!

That cracked me up! My iron play can be just crazy good at times, but not consistantly. I almost always put a nice swing on the ball that goes very straight, right or left, lol. I've practiced very hard on the range with a tee in front of the ball, (towards the target), to get ball first and then a small divot. Now I'm working hard to keep it straight and I've found that keeping my "V" with the arms a bit more solid and a feel of connection all the way through without raising my head until the ball is well away helps a ton. Without the connection, I develope an over the top that pushes the ball straight left.

Staying connected is tough to keep in my swing at this point, I think its just something that has to become second nature with time. Making myself do it yesterday, I hit several iron shots that stuck dead center on the line of the flag, (both 6i's), and a pw than almost holed out. It was a great feeling, but couldn't seem to keep that every time I got to the ball.

I've been working through a few faults I had with my irons so I have a few things I think about and I'm thinking about them less and less as I fix them.

Proper takeaway - not rolling wrists when going back
Shorter swing
Hitting down and through
Good tempo
Staying connected

I'm trying to stop thinking so much once I get up to the ball but these things go through my mind before I step up to it.

That sounds like me. I need some drills to make this second nature over the winter.

I literally play shot to shot, and by that I mean I don't think of anything but the shot I am trying to hit. Not the shot before, not what the next shot will be. Then all I think is make 1 good swing. And then I think the same thing on the next shot.

Back