Are You Playing the Right Length?

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
I had my first ever putter lesson last evening at GolfTec. This was a real eye opener to me. When I started golf, I just bought a putter without thinking of the length and it happened to be a 35 incher. Since then, I have just stuck with that length for no particular reason.

My pro hooks me and my putter up to the sensors after he measures my putter and asks me how tall I am. He watched me putt a few times and said that the putter that I was using is way too long. To make a long story short, I am not gaming a 33 inch putter that is actually correct to my height (or lack thereof). My putting has been wretched as of late and I think this is really going to fix it.

I don't know if it's correct, but I've found that I'm most comfortable with a 34 inch putter with my stance. I could even go to 33 and be completely comfortable as I choke up a bit on the 34.

Hey Setho, this mirrors my recent experience. As a christmas present the wife surprised me with a fitting and then paid half of the cost of the recommended putter. Was gaming a 35" ping and now the 33" odyssey. Hope you start feeling as comfortable with your new putter length as I do and your putting will start to show it too!

how tall are you? When I got fit a few years ago, they didnt measure my height, but the distance between my hands and the ground. Not sure which is best, but I game a 33.5" putter, 5' 9" short

I have no idea, tbh.

I'm comfortable playing the 34 inch I have right now. Putter fitting would be an interesting experience though. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable playing a shorter putter, as I'd be thinking about swinging it more, if that makes sense.

I've never heard of people getting hooked up to sensors. That's cool. I wonder if there's a place near me who can do that.

From the iPhone.

Yeah, I have a few 35 inch putters to sell now including my Yes! and Kia Ma Tour Issue. I already bought my new putter and I am really liking the new length so far. I can't wait for my first round with it (going to play with Ole Gray and KellyBo this weekend).

You know you can cut putters down right? :D

how tall are you? When I got fit a few years ago, they didnt measure my height, but the distance between my hands and the ground. Not sure which is best, but I game a 33.5" putter, 5' 9" short

I am 5' 8" and a few millimeters with shoes on. He had a height chart and a math chart with a forumula for putter length where A Squared (length of wrist to ground I think) + B squared (length of the distance between your toe and the heel of the putter) = C squared (length of putter).

I hate to say this and I am going to eat a whole lot of crow, but my best putting came when I had my Scotty Cameron and I have a lot of conficance stored up in that club, so I got another one with the money from clubs sold. I need conficance right now.

Great topic SethO, I'll bet a lot of people here play a putter that may not be the best fit for them. I use a 35" but have reviewed putters that are 34 and didn't mind the feel of the shorter putter at all. I thought about this last night after we spoke and it really comes down to feel and a comfort level with the putter. I'll bet that shorter putter feels great in your hands now! Look at Robert Garrigus and Spank, two professionals that use putters that are amazingly short....it's all about what feels right. I don't know if he still does, but Mickelson used to always use a pretty short putter too.

that will also mess up the swing weight.

if you go with the scotty, they sell weight sets that you can swap in. I did this when I had my fastback cut down, now its the only club in the back i trust.

that will also mess up the swing weight.

Yeah but there are things you can do to get it back to swingweight you like. Going from 35 to 33 might be little harder since to prob would want to add 20g.

if you go with the scotty, they sell weight sets that you can swap in. I did this when I had my fastback cut down, now its the only club in the back i trust.

There are aftermarket weights for SC that I found on ebay for my Del Mar. They worked perfect and are alot cheaper!

Yeah, anybody who knows me here knows my feelings on SC putters, but the easily changeable weights in the bottom are a great idea. I got the putter as soon as my lesson was over as I need to have the right length putter with the right swing weight. I will bow my head in shame for all my ranting against SC, but I can't help that I built up confidence in a putter whose maker I don't respect. Go with what puts it in the hole.

Good topic Seth. Regardless of whether you think you're eating crow or not, it's great that you've come full circle and are back to the flat stick that gives you the most confidence. It's good to make a change like this early in the season so your best golf is ahead of you. Roll on Seth!

Yeah, I have a few 35 inch putters to sell now including my Yes! and Kia Ma Tour Issue. I already bought my new putter and I am really liking the new length so far. I can't wait for my first round with it (going to play with Ole Gray and KellyBo this weekend).

YES! Callie? hmmmmm

i use a 34" but the way i putt its really a 32" due to the way i grip my putter
top of the grip rests against my forearm
ive never been fit for my putter

Yeah but there are things you can do to get it back to swingweight you like. Going from 35 to 33 might be little harder since to prob would want to add 20g.

There are aftermarket weights for SC that I found on ebay for my Del Mar. They worked perfect and are alot cheaper!

Yeah, I would definitely do that if I still had the SC that I got all that confidance in, but it is out of my hands now and I would rather have a putter today than go through getting the putter back and getting the proper weights. 20 grams of lead tape on the Yes would have looked weird haha.

Good topic Seth. Regardless of whether you think you're eating crow or not, it's great that you've come full circle and are back to the flat stick that gives you the most confidence. It's good to make a change like this early in the season so your best golf is ahead of you. Roll on Seth!

Thanks Hanks!

From top of the grip to the end of shaft mine is 28" about 30" total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no clue how long my putter is. I am short so I got a short putter.

hhhhmmm indeed. If you want it, I can paint fill it custom!

this is getting even more interesting!

your Bettinardi on line 1....it's jealous

I know man!! The only reason I want the YES! is because my wifes name is Callie. so, I just thought it would be kind of cool

I do want to say that its funny you put this thread up SethO because TC and I were just talking about the importance of the right length putter and how much it has improved his game. Also, that I need to get fit for the right length

the angle of my dangle is about 30" even tho my putter is 34" not 32" like i thought

I do want to say that its funny you put this thread up SethO because TC and I were just talking about the importance of the right length putter and how much it has improved his game. Also, that I need to get fit for the right length

The putter is what has been holding my game up and now that I have had my stroke looked at and fixed, I can start becoming deadly and get the ball below ground quicker. I hate GIR's and 3 banging.

Back