Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
I was just wondering everyone's opinions on club fittings because it seems to me that everyone supports them heavily and I was just wondering why. I get that they can improve your game, but (if it costs extra- at some places it does) why bother to spend extra on it? for most golfers, they would be much better off spending time practicing to lower their scores. That just seems like a much better investment to me. I have never been fit for a club in my life and I sill shoot in the low 80's consistantly, occasionally in the 70's. I just always figured club fitting was only necessary for very good golfers (anyone better than a 3 HCP or so). I was only wondering if anyone feels that same way as me, and if not, then why do you think the other way?

Question. Do you wear pants and shirts that dont fit you? Answer is most likely no. Sure you could wear them every day and get by but you would never be comfortable.

Same concept with fitting of clubs. Why not get clubs fit to you and feel comfortable about them instead of wondering if you could shoot better or wondering why you just mis hit a shot. Because now when you mis hit a shot you know its your swing that caused it instead of something incorrect with your clubs.

Also, if you buy the clubs from the store they will fit them to you at no extra cost.

I was just wondering everyone's opinions on club fittings because it seems to me that everyone supports them heavily and I was just wondering why. I get that they can improve your game, but (if it costs extra- at some places it does) why bother to spend extra on it? for most golfers, they would be much better off spending time practicing to lower their scores. That just seems like a much better investment to me. I have never been fit for a club in my life and I sill shoot in the low 80's consistantly, occasionally in the 70's. I just always figured club fitting was only necessary for very good golfers (anyone better than a 3 HCP or so). I was only wondering if anyone feels that same way as me, and if not, then why do you think the other way?

I would never buy a $500 new suit without getting measured. Same with golf clubs. May not be true for you, but there are thousand of people out there that play clubs that are not right for them. A simple proper fitting would change that. Their chances for success on the course is great with clubs that fit.

Why don't all marathon runners wear a size 10 shoes? A 10 may fit some runners, so why would the rest of the lot spend the time and money on a properly fitting shoe? Instead of worrying about how well the shoes fit, they should just go out and run wearing the same size shoes as everybody else.

-I stole that analogy for The Paulo.

I like the analogies a lot guys. Makes sense to me, but then why do so many stores carry stock clubs (other than for testing them out) if they will fit you for free with a purchase? It just seems like they are trying to lead people down the wrong road. That may not be answerable, but I'm just wondering.

Also, why would places like Hot Stix charge you for a fitting if you could get one for free elsewhere? Thanks guys.

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

I agree with most here that fitting is beneficial to all golfers, regardless of skill level. Not an absolute requirement, but beneficial. I think that most retail chains carry standard clubs because most weekend golfers are more than happy to buy them.

Now whether they charge for fittings or not, probably boils down to clientele and their business based motives. For example, places like Dick's and GG offer free fittings because their primary goal is to get you to buy something. While a specialty shop's primary goal is to get you the best fitting possible, so you'll come back and refer your friends. Retail chains, by nature also have way more foot traffic and walk in customers. Not to mention additional merchandise that they sell (in most cases) very well. Therefore, it's easier for them to subsidize fittings for those who desire them. Specialty shops are usually much more focused, relying on referrals and return customers. Another variable is the level of training and experience. It's been my experience that the fitters at specialty shops are far more advanced than those at a retail chain. As with anything, experience costs $$.

I was referred to a fitter by my league partner. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I actually at least email him now whenever I have questions about any club, not just the ones he's put in my hands. He's become a resource to me, and as such I'm more inclined to purchase through him as I'd rather see him profit from my purchases since he's done such a great job and spent so much time with me.

Just my 2 ¢

I have never been fit before, till this year it has done 2 things for me.

Driver fitting

1. It was fun trying all the different clubs out with different shafts and seeing the ball flight on the open range.
2. I found a driver that I never would have picked up otherwise and has been fantastic for me.
3. I'm driving the ball further and straighter than I ever had before (280yds has turned into 300 pretty consistently)

Iron fitting

1. Again...fun to try out all the different clubs and shafts combinations.
2. While I haven't actually purchased irons just yet I did learn that I should be 2* upright. I had my current irons adjusted and I have instantly become more accurate...especially with my wedges. Which inspires more confidence.

I would never buy another club off the shelf again. And like most have said, most places will waive the fitting fee if you purchase clubs. My only recommendation is make sure you get on an outdoor range and preferably with a Trackman. Sooooo much better than hitting a ball indoors into a net.

I agree with most here that fitting is beneficial to all golfers, regardless of skill level. Not an absolute requirement, but beneficial. I think that most retail chains carry standard clubs because most weekend golfers are more than happy to buy them.

Now whether they charge for fittings or not, probably boils down to clientele and their business based motives. For example, places like Dick's and GG offer free fittings because their primary goal is to get you to buy something. While a specialty shop's primary goal is to get you the best fitting possible, so you'll come back and refer your friends. Retail chains, by nature also have way more foot traffic and walk in customers. Not to mention additional merchandise that they sell (in most cases) very well. Therefore, it's easier for them to subsidize fittings for those who desire them. Specialty shops are usually much more focused, relying on referrals and return customers. Another variable is the level of training and experience. It's been my experience that the fitters at specialty shops are far more advanced than those at a retail chain. As with anything, experience costs $$.

I was referred to a fitter by my league partner. I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I actually at least email him now whenever I have questions about any club, not just the ones he's put in my hands. He's become a resource to me, and as such I'm more inclined to purchase through him as I'd rather see him profit from my purchases since he's done such a great job and spent so much time with me.

Just my 2 ¢

Thanks a lot that's very helpful. Just too bad I'll have to wait to get fit for clubs because I just got new irons last fall and just got new woods/my driver reshafted a few weeks ago. Next upgrade will likely be wedges/putter.

---

My only recommendation is make sure you get on an outdoor range and preferably with a Trackman. Sooooo much better than hitting a ball indoors into a net.

Seconded!!

Thanks a lot that's very helpful. Just too bad I'll have to wait to get fit for clubs because I just got new irons last fall and just got new woods/my driver reshafted a few weeks ago. Next upgrade will likely be wedges/putter.

You don't have to wait until you get new irons to be fit. Go get the fitting done and you can have your current irons adjusted. You might have to pay a little to do it, but it will be a lot cheaper than buying new irons. If the place you bought them from does adjustments, you might be able to get them to do it free.

You don't have to wait until you get new irons to be fit. Go get the fitting done and you can have your current irons adjusted. You might have to pay a little to do it, but it will be a lot cheaper than buying new irons. If the place you bought them from does adjustments, you might be able to get them to do it free.

I dunno how much the fitting/adjustments would cost, but I'm a fairly poor high school student (my parents have bought my clubs for the most part), and my parents certainly won't pay for it. I have the R9 irons and got them from Golfsmith, so I dunno if they will do it for free.

---

Personally, I had never been fitted... but I went and got a free fitting at Golfsmith, and it definitely helped. I'm sending my irons in to be adjusted (P.S. does anyone know where you can send them?), and will probably get them re-shafted sometime soon. But I'm definitely looking at getting a wood/hybrid fitting because I need to get new clubs

Back