Hybrid shaft question

Bridges

Reaction score
Handicap
Through my last 3-4 rounds I have been hitting nothing but fades until I pull out the hybrid. I have a Superlaunch hybrid with the 60g Re Ax shaft, stiff flex. I hit it probably 4-5 times through those rounds and everyone was a big draw or hook and didnt hit a single hook the last 3 rounds with any club in my bag, I had the same problem with the mashie. Im thinking the shaft might be to light. Would it be better to jump up to a heavier shaft? For example say the Miyazaki hybrid 83s shaft or something in the neighborhood of 75-80grams. Im not to concerned about the lower ball flight with the heavier shaft seeing as Im usually hitting an iron, wood, or laying up into greens. Because I just dont ever see the distance for my hybrid going into par 5s. Usually more or less.

Any help would be good.

Bridges,

I am having a similar problem with my hybrids. Not sure if this is going to work, but I am going to see my swing coach today and we are going to try a steel shaft in one of my hybrids. I think we are going with the KBS Tour steel hybrid shaft. Hoping this will get my tempo back in check, plus, I want my hybrids to 'feel' more like my irons so the steel shaft should help that.

Bridges,

I am having a similar problem with my hybrids. Not sure if this is going to work, but I am going to see my swing coach today and we are going to try a steel shaft in one of my hybrids. I think we are going with the KBS Tour steel hybrid shaft. Hoping this will get my tempo back in check, plus, I want my hybrids to 'feel' more like my irons so the steel shaft should help that.

Let me know how that goes! Whats your SS if you dont mind me asking?

Anyone else have any input on this? Would appreciate the help.

Let me know how that goes! Whats your SS if you dont mind me asking?

Driver swing speed is 105. Give or take, depending on how healthy I feel that day. lol

I put steel in my 19 hybrid, no hooks unless I want to. Easy to control as about a 6 or 7 iron with 2 iron distance. Same shaft, DG S300 as in th erest of my irons BTW.

I put steel in my 19 hybrid, no hooks unless I want to. Easy to control as about a 6 or 7 iron with 2 iron distance. Same shaft, DG S300 as in th erest of my irons BTW.

I dont think I want to go to steel but then again if it would help I might.

maybe you need a R flex?

One of the best hybrids I owned was a Nickent 3DX with a steel shaft. I don't know if a steel shaft is a cure all but I know that I much prefer a heavier shaft in a hybrid.

Unless I get talked out of it, I am going to put a steel shaft in a Nike Machspeed 2H (thanks again, TC) this afternoon. I will post my thoughts here. I may actually buy another 4H or 5H and put steel in it as well. Reason: I have a feeling a 2h 18 degree is not going to be the easiest thing for me to hit even once I get one set up right. I think something in the mid 20's degree would be a better experiment.

Unless I get talked out of it, I am going to put a steel shaft in a Nike Machspeed 2H (thanks again, TC) this afternoon. I will post my thoughts here. I may actually buy another 4H or 5H and put steel in it as well. Reason: I have a feeling a 2h 18 degree is not going to be the easiest thing for me to hit even once I get one set up right. I think something in the mid 20's degree would be a better experiment.

I think your experiment is intriguing.

I think your experiment is intriguing.

Thank you, fellow lefty.
All I know at this point is that my hybrid games sucks right now and never has been acceptable. I'm ready to experiment with something somewhat extreme-steel, heavier weight, heavier flex, and see how that works out.

maybe you need a R flex?

Im not sure thats the case since my driver SS is 110-114. I think I just need something heavier that wont allow me to over rotate the head. But then I could be wrong.

Doug, let me know how it goes.

Also keep in mind that the Superlaunch, super fast line is set up to be draw biased from the start. If the shaft is too light for you that's only going to add to how much your draw/hook the ball.

I've found that I like my hybrid shafts to be about the mid point weight wise between my fairway and iron shaft. For example my irons are about 105, my fairway is 73 so my hybrid is about 85.

My hybrid suck bad now also. I have a Prolaunch Blue Hybrid in it now but will soon change to a lightweight steel shaft. Somewhere around 85-90g. I definitely want it to feel more like a 3 iron than a 5 wood.

Ok, I now have a '07 Rescue 3H with a DG S300 in it. 130 gram stiff shaft. Swing weight is way jacked up at E0. I only had a chance to hit a few balls with it on the simulator so I will wait to get some range time before share many thoughts. I will say this though-it launches the ball low and like a freaking rocket. :banana:

Ok, I now have a '07 Rescue 3H with a DG S300 in it. 130 gram stiff shaft. Swing weight is way jacked up at E0. I only had a chance to hit a few balls with it on the simulator so I will wait to get some range time before share many thoughts. I will say this though-it launches the ball low and like a freaking rocket. :banana:

Question for you. Wouldnt this essentially change this from a hybrid to a driving iron or club? A hybrid to me is supposed to launch high and land soft, however with a driving iron or club, I want a more boring ball flight, similar to a FW wood.

130 grams? Wow. Does the ball get higher than 5 foot off the ground? Thats crazy.

Question for you. Wouldnt this essentially change this from a hybrid to a driving iron or club? A hybrid to me is supposed to launch high and land soft, however with a driving iron or club, I want a more boring ball flight, similar to a FW wood.

That might be the end result. And if this does in fact become a fairway finder that I can use on short par 4's and when my driver is throwing fits, I will be happy with that too. I'm simply experimenting at this point.

130 grams? Wow. Does the ball get higher than 5 foot off the ground? Thats crazy.

Not sure yet. It did on the monitor, but, that was a monitor. Need to get it out on the range, and on grass, before I have any definitive thoughts.

I have a 20* Mizuno hybrid with an 84 gram shaft, and I think it matches well with my 125+ gram iron shaft. I swing my hybrid like an iron, but accept that it feels like a wood. I think with every club, the only thing that really matters is having the confidence to swing all out and free on every shot. Once you can just "swing the club" on every shot, you are on the next level

That might be the end result. And if this does in fact become a fairway finder that I can use on short par 4s and when my driver is throwing fits, I will be happy with that too. I'm simply experimenting at this point.

Not sure yet. It did on the monitor, but, that was a monitor. Need to get it out on the range, and on grass, before I have any definitive thoughts.

Can't wait to hear how it works. That's basically all I'm looking for out of a hybrid right now. I kind of changed how I used to play and just basically need a fairway finder on the short par 4 doglegs and I think the heavier shaft could be the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back