muskyhunter

Reaction score
Handicap
I usually have Jeff do my grips but wanted to try for myself. Any tips for a newbie? Been reading and watching YouTube videos and it seems easy enough.

Looking to do it for cheap so not looking to buy a compressor. So far I only have a vise and cutter blade.

Where do you buy the tools and grips from? Im in canada and it seems Golfworks has everything.

I have just regripped all my irons with ND MC grips. All I used was a stanley knife, grip tape and white spirits. It is quite simple to do.

You have a vice so it will be even easier for you.

Cut off the old grip
Remove the existing grip tape unless you are building up the grip (which I was, but I ensured the existing tape was still properly stuck down and replaced it as needed)
Put on grip tape leaving 1/2 inch over butt of shaft, smooth down and put excess into butt of shaft to plug the hole
Fill new grip with solvent and then pour it over the grip tape to activate the solvent (plug the hole with your finger / tee)
Quickly slide the new grip onto the shaft and line up.
Wipe excess solvent and adhesive from the shaft and grip
Leave to dry (I leave mine for 24hrs, then I wash and dry the grips and return the clubs to my bag)

Don't be afraid to really soak the griptape with solvent, it is much better to use too much than too little, you can always reuse it if you have a drip tray or container to catch it.

I get all my equipment from ebay

Last edited:
It's eeeeeeasy! Just make sure you are using the right solvent. I made that mistake. You need a hook knife (Canadian Tire should have that). Or even a hook blade to put in a standard utility knife. 2 sided Grip tape (get the solvent activated kind not the water kind). Golfworks may even have some pre-cut. Then you really don't need anything else. But if you want to make it even easier than a little rubber grip to hold the shaft and a table vice are good. The last few times I did it I didn't need a vice, the grips just slide on easily.

Good luck!

Instructions will usually tell you to put on a light layer of solvent because excess solvent will take longer to dry.

So what if it takes longer, I'm letting you know from experience to use plenty of solvent. I skimped on it like the instructions told me to and two of eight grips stuck on me halfway down the shaft. Well, the first two did. Then I decided to use more solvent and the other six slipped on like a charm. Still only about 2 1/2 - 3 hours to dry when I soaked everything.

Serious golfers use Tapatalk.

You don't even need to buy anything from golfworks... I get all my supplies at Canadian Tire. Utility knife to cut off the old grip (make sure to cut away from yourself and work your way from the bottom of the grip), a heat gun will help with taking off the old tape, this is the most annoying, time consuming step of the process, and just get regular two sided carpet tape and low odour varsol and follow the above steps. It's a piece of cake!

I echo the above posts on using PLENTY of solvent, I did not get the 1st grip I ever tried to slip all the way on, and I have never made that mistake again. As Colt said above, if it takes longer to dry, so what. I always install new grips on a day I am not going to the course so they have plenty of time to dry. Have fun!!!

Ditto on the solvent. Just tried re-gripping my driver the other day and I obviously didn't use enough. Got stuck halfway down. Might not be a bad idea to have an extra pair of hands around too while you do this. I did all my irons last year, super easy. Got everything I needed at golf galaxy.

Is Varsol the best solvent to use from hardware store? I have from acetone from paintfilling, does that work?

regripping is fairly easy for a beginner. It will be a breeze after the first time. Make sure you get all the old tape off. Arnold Palmer used lighter fluid instead of solvent on the tape, so you could try that. After you wet the tape, put some in the grip and shake it to wet the inside of the grip, it helps it slip on easier.

Is Varsol the best solvent to use from hardware store? I have from acetone from paintfilling, does that work?

They should do the same, if I'm not mistaken they're both mineral spirits. I just prefer LO varsol.

Here's what I did...

Steel shaft:
With Hook blade slice from the base up to the butt of the shaft.
Scrapped all remaining tape off.
Clean shaft making sure no residue is left.
Use the long strips of grip tape and wrap that one big piece around shaft the long way leaving a bit of tape hanging over the butt.
Push extra hangover tape into shaft.
Fill new grip with some paint thinner (it's what I had avail)
Shake up grip getting thinner to coat inside of the grip.
Release the rest of the thinner out of the pin hole at the base of the grip onto the shaft. (don't be afraid to use a good amount of thinner)
Slide the grip on and try not to pull the grip on but rather push so you don't stretch the grip.
While still wet, align the grip.
Done!

Graphite shaft:
With Hook blade very carefully slice from the base up to the butt of the shaft.
Peeling all remaining tape off. Use paint thinner if needed.
Clean shaft making sure no residue is left.
Use the long strips of grip tape and wrap that one big piece around shaft the long way leaving a bit of tape hanging over the butt.
Push extra hangover tape into shaft.
Fill new grip with some paint thinner (it's what I had available) cover pin hole with finger.
Shake up grip getting thinner to coat inside of the grip.
Release the rest of the thinner out of the pin hole at the base of the grip onto the shaft. (don't be afraid to use a good amount of thinner)
Slide the grip on and try not to pull the grip on but rather push so you don't stretch the grip.
While still wet, align the grip.
Done!

The first time it took me over 90 min to do all my clubs being extra careful.

Pretty much what MikeF said in his post.
Any other questions let me know.

does Home Depot or Canadian Tire sell something similar to a shaft clamp? i dunno, maybe something for pipes?

but anyway....thanks for the help guys!

off to buy...

varsol
double-sided tape
heat gun

I didn't need to use a shaft clamp at all. Put enough solvent on the tape, the grip will slide on easily.

If you insist on having one...get a rubber piece, place it around the shaft and use a vice. Just be careful if it's graphite.

thanks for the info...

If you are just using two sided tape like you can buy at golf shops, I don't think you even need any solvent that will be messy. I simply use rubbing alcohol since it evaporates quickly and leaves no mess. No need for a drip pan or anything. Just make sure you really bathe the tape and the inside of the grip with it and get it on quickly or you could get stuck. Plus, then you don't have to worry about clean-up or disposing of the solvent. Of course, if you are using tape that needs to be activated to get sticky then that would be a different story. I regripped my wife's woods and mine using this method and all is well. For our irons I just used Pure Grips which don't require solvent.

I plug the bottom of the grip with a tee and fill it full up with solvent and let is soak for at least 5 minutes
After I put the tape on the shaft I have an olive jar that I fill with solvent and sit the club shaft in that to really soak down the tape good.

i'm all set now..

4" Vise
heat gun
curve hook blade
rubber tube cover to use with vise
2" carpet double sided tape
946ml mineral spirit
spare NDMC grips - trial and error

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I use water soluble grip tape from Golfsmith, no smell, just use water out of the tap, once it dries it is permanent. Much less trouble than using solvent based grip tape and you can do it inside at the bar in the family room and watch the golf channel while you are re-gripping.

I plug the bottom of the grip with a tee and fill it full up with solvent and let is soak for at least 5 minutes
After I put the tape on the shaft I have an olive jar that I fill with solvent and sit the club shaft in that to really soak down the tape good.

Most of the grips and tapes are good to go with s quick blast of solvent. I usually fill the grip halfway and just jostle it around for a good 30 seconds. Since you let the solvent soak both grip and shaft how long are you letting your clubs sit for. I've heard of some fitters applying to much solvent. I might have to try your tee in the butt of the grip trick, cause I hate when solvent gets everywhere.

I don't think you can really apply too much solvent, the more the better as it makes the grips easier to slide on. It will just take longer for the grip to set. I leave mine for at least 24 hours anyway to make sure the solvent has dried and the tape has done it's job

Most of the grips and tapes are good to go with s quick blast of solvent. I usually fill the grip halfway and just jostle it around for a good 30 seconds. Since you let the solvent soak both grip and shaft how long are you letting your clubs sit for. I've heard of some fitters applying to much solvent. I might have to try your tee in the butt of the grip trick, cause I hate when solvent gets everywhere.

I usually will plan to regrip clubs on Sunday evening after a round as I don't usually play on Mondays cause of long workdays, so they sit for about 36 hours before playing them again. It may be overkill doing them for that long but they just slip right on like a greased pig after 5 minutes

i'm all set now..

4" Vise
heat gun
curve hook blade
rubber tube cover to use with vise
2" carpet double sided tape
946ml mineral spirit
spare NDMC grips - trial and error

Once you have done your first you will wonder what all the fuss was about

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I use water soluble grip tape from Golfsmith, no smell, just use water out of the tap, once it dries it is permanent. Much less trouble than using solvent based grip tape and you can do it inside at the bar in the family room and watch the golf channel while you are re-gripping.

I have heard bad things about water activated tape when it rains so I always use solvent based tape

Once you have done your first you will wonder what all the fuss was about

Quoted for the truth!

I'm hoping my future adventure with reshafting follows the same theory.

I usually will plan to regrip clubs on Sunday evening after a round as I don't usually play on Mondays cause of long workdays, so they sit for about 36 hours before playing them again. It may be overkill doing them for that long but they just slip right on like a greased pig after 5 minutes

You made me laugh out loud at work! I usually let them sit for at least 24 hours after regripping too. What kind of grips do you use Ron? just curious...

Back