Should Tiger use a belly putter?

INgolfer

Internet Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
pending
OK, I was thinking of posting this in the thread about Phil using a belly putter, but I thought it deserved its own thread...Anyhow, ever since the Tiger scandal we have seen Tiger's putting go down the pooper. First he switches putters because the greens are slower at the British Open last year, then he says his putting just isn't as good because of his new swing (how that affects his putting stroke I don't know). Whatever the reason, his short game is a far cry from what it used to be. We used to see him sink 15-20 footers like they were nothing, especially under pressure. Now we see him miss numerous 5 footers per tournament, and the pressure seems to get to him. With all the chatter about belly putters, and even the recent comments on Feherty from Bones about how he thinks belly putters are kinda unfair and that clubs should not be able to be connected to the body, why is there reason not to think that Tiger ought to make the switch. While Tiger has work to do in many areas, it seems as though his putting has kept him out of contention at many tournaments. Some of those where he has finished in the middle of the pack, sometimes 6-7 strokes back, could have easily been wins if he didn't miss numerous short putts that weekend. There are other times where his swing just suuuuuuuucks, and 1-putting every green couldn't put him in the top 10, but as a Tiger fan and one who wants to see him start whooping some arse again I think his putting is his biggest demon right now. He has used 3 different putters in the last year or so, most recently switching to the Method Blade. If none of them have improved his putting then maybe a more dramatic flatstick change is needed. If I were Tiger I would be trying to get every advantage I could get right now, and it seems as though those players who are trying to improve their putting game the most are switching to the belly putter. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this, if you were an "advisor" to Tiger, what would you advise him to do about his putting?

No. This "trend" will die out in the next few years it's just the 2011 thing to do. What tiger really needs is either a new coach or a putting coach.

Just my two cents.

I don't know that he should switch to one, but why would it hurt to try one? His putting sucks (by his standards) right now, so he should be looking at all possibilities.

That is also a good point. Instead of working with a swing coach maybe he should work more with a short game coach like Pelz. Maybe he needs a mental coach like Westwood because he seems to always have a lot going on in his head from the way he talks about his game...Thanks for the input TheChosen1

It too takes some getting used to, case in point, Justin Rose. It just has to be worked on too. I really have no idea how much work Tiger puts into his game right now.

I dont see how it would hurt for him to try it. Granted it would take him time to get used to the belly putter but its not as if he is going to win many tournaments the way he is putting right now.

Why limit it to Tiger or Phil? Anyone who isn't putting well should try one. The guys who use them say that they work well so what's the harm in trying one? If it works, yay. If not, switch back and practice that way. Trying it can't hurt.

---
- I wish golf was as easy as Tapatalk.

Why limit it to Tiger or Phil? Anyone who isn't putting well should try one. The guys who use them say that they work well so what's the harm in trying one? If it works, yay. If not, switch back and practice that way. Trying it can't hurt.

Yeah they are super easy to use. They are a lot more natural than some may think. If I had time to practice with one, I would definately bag one. Distance control is the tough part.

I think he's got bigger issues than just his putting. Sure seems to me like his mind needs more work at the moment, and then his game. I could be totally off though since I'm not privvy to how he's thinking for reals. :shrug: That said, I think he needs to sort that more than trying more different.

He doesn't need a belly putter. His stroke isn't poor, it's his tempo. He needs a metronome.

there is no harm in him trying.it may work but then again it may not,belly putters are not the answer for everyone.if my putting was horrendous then i would maybe consider a belly putter but us amateurs are a far cry from how these guys putt.

Will he switch? Who knows.....

But I venture to say that he has spent some time with one on his home practice area.

I disagree with TC1 - this is not just a trend. It is working very well for several top pros now and will continue to expand IMO.

Tappin' from my iPad!

No. This "trend" will die out in the next few years it's just the 2011 thing to do. What tiger really needs is either a new coach or a putting coach.

Just my two cents.

Thats what they said about hybrids.

He doesn't need a belly putter. His stroke isn't poor, it's his tempo. He needs a metronome.

That may be very true tp, I know when I am practicing my putting I will use the Tour Tempo rhythm of swing, set, through to remove the hit impulse and to keep myself smooth through the ball. Nice observation buddy.

Another Tiger thread.........:popcorn:

That may be very true tp, I know when I am practicing my putting I will use the Tour Tempo rhythm of swing, set, through to remove the hit impulse and to keep myself smooth through the ball. Nice observation buddy.

His stroke is quicker than it used to be, not much but it's noticeable. It's typical of someone who is frustrated and trying to force putts in. He used to have a fast, but even tempo and now he kinda rips at it with the forward motion. He also hits them at a speed (very aggressive) which leaves you little room for error on the line. There're 8 different speeds for every line (1 and 8 not being very optimal) and he should be going for 3-5 in that...that's when you hole even your so-so struck/read putts.

Though wouldn't a belly putter/long putter help him with tempo?

Look at Scott, Kutcher, different style of long putters, but both have great tempo. I mean it would be worth a look into, if he hasn't already tried it.

Though wouldn't a belly putter/long putter help him with tempo?

Look at Scott, Kutcher, different style of long putters, but both have great tempo. I mean it would be worth a look into, if he hasn't already tried it.

There are pics of Eldrick practicing with a belly out and about somewhere. Its not recent, was last year I believe? I'll try to hunt em down tomorrow.

The one thing I disagree with, not specifically with tiger (or even tour players in general really, it applies to them but not as much I think), is the idea of "just try one, what the hell, it can't hurt" because I think it can. My philosophy on putting is big on honing feel from consistancy. I've had the same putter for close to a decade and despite being tempted by newer/better looking models and styles, I hope to never use another putter. One of the best putter's at the place I normally play has been using the same putter since the 70's.

I do this, because I think putting is all feel and whenever you tinker, be it messing with your stroke, trying all sorts of different putters, different models, different styles, switching back and forth and what have you. Whenever you mess around you mess with your feel, it may change for the better temporarily, but long term I think the more you tinker and adjust the better the odds of losing your touch. Maybe someone messes around for a while with a belly putter, then they go back to what they used to do but can't find the just right feel they had before so they try another model; works well for a while then they lose that after a little bit and have now gotten even farther off the beaten path and are all out of sorts.

I just think it's a dangerous game to play to start tinkering with the flatstick unless you absolutely have to

Do they make belly drivers?

Back