blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I am looking for any tips to improve my driver swing. Any tips or ideas from GolfTEC or other forum members is appreciated.

[video=youtube;c-hWLtNeU-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-hWLtNeU-g[/video]

EDIT I can see how flat I bring the club back, which is making me come over the top.

Last edited:
I really want to send a huge thank you to Thainer. I hope he responds here so I can pass out some rep.

I wanted to get some quality practice time so I ask him his opinion. With his help, I weakened my grip, narrowed my stance, got my shoulders down the proper line. He also recommended that I work on my tempo. I did some work on the range today with those tips. I got my back swing to be more upright, my through swing less over the top, and my tempo much more efficient. It's still a work in progress, isn't it always, but I saw a huge difference today.

I would most definately recommend Thainer's eyes if any THPer wants a second set of eyes on their swing.

bluegold - It looks like you heeled that one shot pretty bad. I am guessing you see a mixes of pulls either low or high and have a tendency to curve the ball from left to right (slice). Correct?

Where I would start would be to narrow your right leg up about 6 inches or so and square your shoulders up. To do this you will have to pull your right shoulder back and feel closed at setup. You suffer from too little turn going back and setting up like you are doing doesn't help what you need to be doing so fix the setup. For the swing, my initial thoughts are to slow the backswing down and turn your body a little more to ge the club around you. You are too fast and don't turn well so you get steep coming down and that produces the misses.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO
PGA Certified Professional

bluegold - It looks like you heeled that one shot pretty bad. I am guessing you see a mixes of pulls either low or high and have a tendency to curve the ball from left to right (slice). Correct?

Where I would start would be to narrow your right leg up about 6 inches or so and square your shoulders up. To do this you will have to pull your right shoulder back and feel closed at setup. You suffer from too little turn going back and setting up like you are doing doesn't help what you need to be doing so fix the setup. For the swing, my initial thoughts are to slow the backswing down and turn your body a little more to ge the club around you. You are too fast and don't turn well so you get steep coming down and that produces the misses.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

That shot you thought I heeled, I hit it pretty flush. It was a pull-draw (start left - go left). My typical miss is a high left to right. It's a work in progress. Always a work in progress.

[video=youtube;c-hWLtNeU-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-hWLtNeU-g[/video]

I never know where my hands should be with the driver at setup. Are they ok in this video? Should they be forward more? Back more?

blugold - in the previous threads I replied to....your hands were not mentioned. Your hand placement is fine but its the other things you need to fix as mentioned eariler. Until you get those things better you will continue to struggle with your path which is why you see the ball flight you do.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Please take a look at these videos. Is it getting any better?

Newest video....

More Videos

Down the Line Videos.

Spoiler

Head On Videos

Spoiler

Is it getting any better?

Last edited:
Blu, nice vids man. You seem to setting up at impact position which may be leading you to bring your hands down too fast leading to that OTT move. Have you tried to set your shoulders parallel to the ground at address? Your right shoulder is quite a bit lower than your left at address. I totally get the desire to get into that impact zone as fast as possible. It's something I fight as well. I'd square up the shoulders at address and slow that backswing down. Seems you are trying to get power from the recoil you generate on the quick take back. I'm full of flaws so not saying anything bad man. Just making observations. Off the tee I think Couples....nice and easy.

blugold - Getting there. How has your ball flight been? In the videos of you with the blue shirt it looked like your grip might hand gotten stronger. That more of just an FYI or heads up. I see it alot when people work on their upper body and forearms they tend to let their grip go very strong. If you are seeing ball flight that is still too far left for your liking then try to keep exagerating the forearms but don't let the grip get too strong or close-faced.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Is it getting any better? I am really struggling with weakening my grip and keeping my right elbow below my left. I always feel like I am taking the club back really flat and I am pull slicing every shot with it. Today was a better day on the range with the swing though. Please take a look at these videos and let me know what you think.

thorin33 - I can see why you are pull slicing the ball or seeing this as a large tendency. You are definitely not too flat. If anything, the club go back more vertically then I would like and then you come down along a similar path....creating a slightly outside to in path and since your ball is curving back to the right it means the clubface is open.

A suggestion - again...your club goes back vertically and is actually open at the top and I believe this is more of a function of how your wrists are hinging.
Try this - I want you to feel that the club gets more around you and I want you to feel that you are closing the face in the process. If you stop your backswing about half to 2/3rds the way back you will see your hands are out and over your toes...not good. Your hands should be more even with the middle of your right foot and this is what I mean by getting the club around you.

Make sense?

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden,CO

Thank you Patrick.

Can you please elaborate on what an open and closed clubface at the top looks like?

blugold - Sorry for the delay in seeing your responses.

Open clubface at the top - the toe will be pointing more downwards at the top.
Closed clubface at the top - the toe will be pointing more at the back of your head. A really closed face will be pointing up above your head.

The trick will be whether you can get the club around you more. If you stay steep coming down but change your face position then you will see some pulls left.

Patrick Nuber
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Getting better?

Golftec -

How's it looking? Any new ideas or tips?

Back