The best shot of the round

112 yards uphill to a front flag, a very tall tree @1/3 to 1/2 in between me and the hole. I hit a beautiful AW to about 15 feet. That doesn't sound special but the ball was straight as an arrow, really compressed perfectly and flew right over the top of the flag. (Missed the birdie putt). Sometimes a perfectly struck shot is so nice.

First time I ever intentionally tried to cut off a dogleg by going upstairs with driver & OVER trees.

Apple Mtn - #5, hard dogleg right, downhill. The tee shot distances were correct & just figured it ought to work ... set up for a fade - committed to it & hit a great driver ... cleared heavy trees easy - must have cut over 100 yds off my usual approach shot - left me with lob wedge in (instead of a hybrid). Awesome feeling to figure something new out by myself that add a whole new aspect to my game - now I won't be so afraid to go over trees as long as it makes sense.

That's what I love about golf - the challenge of figuring out new ways to improve shots ... and then properly executing the shot.

BTW ... played great, shot my 2nd 79
c3_clap.gif

Last edited:
Held up a 6i into the wind to a top tier back pin from 178. Was a beautiful shot.

54 wedge chipped off the fringe to one foot on the first hole. Followed it up with a chip to 3 feet on #3. I could get used to tap ins like this. #mackdaddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Par 3 slight uphill 165yd, pond low front left, bunker left and bunker front right with pin in the front on a green that slopes back to front. Only about 20 or so yds between pond and front of green. I play this hole in two with all this trouble around it. First shot up on to apron then 46yds 60* wedge to 3 inches for tap in par.

Posted two PB's today 9=41 and total 86.

Shot came from the direction of the flagpole shadow and you can see the ballmark. I had to take pic from the left due to looking into the sun.

20150901_101907_zpszwjriiqk.jpg

bunkered off the tee and close to the lip, 190ish to the hole over a hazard, chopped a 50* wedge out to about 70y. stuck it to 2' for the par, and won a hole. there were some other good shots, but nothing spectacular.

Last Thursday I pushed a drive into the right woods leaving about 120 yards to the green. I had an opening to punch out left, but no opening directly toward the green. I told my golf partner "I'm going to fade this onto the green." I opened my stance, weakened my grip, and punched a 5-iron out with a left to right action. It ended up 6" from the pin which was pure luck, but deliberately putting a fade on the ball out of the woods made it one of the best shots of the year for me.

I am going to highlight three from today's round.

1 - a 15-20 yard (I say 15 my playing partner says 20) bunker shot, holed for birdie. Hit it high, landed soft and rolled right into the cup.

2 - After a wayward drive into an adjacent fairway (the draw looked an awful lot like a push), I managed to hit a 230 yard shot with my 18 degree hybrid to about 10 feet. The kicker, I had to hit over the heads of four guys waiting on the tee about 180 out. I felt like a champion hahahaha! (eagle putt made, BTW)

3 - The second to last hole is 285 yard carry (Rangefinder confirmed) to the green or a bailout left about 200 with a wedge in. I opted to hit driver and landed about halfway through the green, finishing just off on the left side. Monstrous target golf!!!

264y par 4. Super narrow fairway with trees all over. The trees run down the left and right of the fairway, back of the green and short right. If going for the green your only bailout is short left and the green won't hold most shots.

So take a 7 iron to the middle of the fairway and leave myself 45y in. Hit my 61°, watch it hop into the bank and turn directly for the hole. It falls in and I get my first 2 on a 4 ever!

524 yd par 5 tee shot. May not sound like much, so let me describe the hole.

Pretty wide fairway until 230 yds out, where it pinches in from the left, uphill, to about 25 yds. Here is the kicker - there is a ridge that traverses the fairway, about 230 yds on the right and moves diagonally to about 270 yds on the left. If you hit the back of the ridge within 10 yds of the rough, the ball is kicked into the desert, with a steep drop off on the left which is death (there is a trench that runs down the left that has more golf balls stuck in it than almost anywhere else on the course), and on the right is a small field of long grass, prickly pear cactus, and both the cart path and maintenance road.

So, here is my shot - I lined up down the left rough cut, hoping for my usual fade. Hit my shot about 2 yards off line, on the left. Flew to the top of the ridge on the left, just left - got caught in a bush just off the fairway. While I had to take an unplayable, it was a great shot - I usually hit hybrid off this tee so that I don't get into any trouble either left or right, but it makes the hole a three-shot hole.

Two shots today worth mentioning:

First was on the par 5 9th. 310 yard drive right down the middle. Feels so good on those rare occasion when it happens.

Second was absolutely amazing. And intentional! Par 4 7th hole. Heavy trees on the right hand side. Naturally I hit the drive right into the middle of them. So I pull out the big Bertha mini. I've got a path through the trees, it's small but there. I'm 200 yards out. So I smack the crap out of it with a half shot to keep it low and below the trees. It never goes more then two yards off the ground but goes the whole way, hits right before the elevated green and rolls 4 feet from the pin. One of the best shots I've ever hit,

142 yard par 3. 7 iron to 18" that never left the pin. Thought it had a chance too.

JM

Perfect 6 iron out of a fairway bunker to advance the ball to 120 out from the green on a par 5. Doesn't sound that cool, but fairway bunkers are something I struggle with, so to make perfect contact out of it for perfect placement on the lay up...that's really good for me in that situation haha

225 yd 3h uphill to 18 ft.

typical senario found at my home course if you miss on the wrong side

Best shot today wasn't my 5iron 9on a 185 yard par three that was within 6 feet. It was a 5iron from 125... I had pushed my drive right of the fairway. There was a tree about 50 yards in front of me that was too tall to hit over, not good enough to shape it as much as would be needed so had to hit a punch with the 5iron that stayed under the lowest branches which were about 20 feet from the ground.... oh did I mention the bunker guarding my line to the green? So yeah I punched this 5 iron under the branches and over the bunker landing it on the green but it rolled to the back fringe. Seriously one of the toughest shots I've ever made. Was able to get up and down for par.

2 shots

first one, a 7 iron from 165, had to hit a draw and get the ball up and over a short tree, and pin high 15' and backed up a foot, missed the putt

second, a 9 from 138, over the pin to about 6', backed up half a foot....made the putt

Had 2 shots today that were really, really great for me.

First shot, 117 out to a front, protected pin. Hit a nice smooth PW, hit just left of the pin and came back right to about 6 inches.

Second shot, 117 out again. Took AW because I had to go over a tree even though I was in the middle of the fairway. Hit it really crisp and high. Hit about 2 feet behind the pin, spun back 1 foot to leave me 1 foot left to the hole. 2 kick in birdies in 1 round!

2nd shot of my round last Friday - I was about 175-180 out on the Par 5 1st, hitting a blind approach shot from the right rough. I hit a low 4i with some draw down the left side of the fairway that caught the ridge perfectly and rolled to about 3 feet from the hole. If I had played it any further to the right, I likely would have bounced and rolled off the right side of the green.

Best shot yesterday was a short sided sand shot with the green running away from me that I damn near holed for eagle. Ended up with a 5 footer back up the hill for birdie and made it.

159 yard par 3 to 4 feet.

c0eb4f1475abdf756bb7f0d05a09767a.jpg

Unfortunately there is no picture of the lightening strikes during my putt!

First hole, par 4. Pulled my drive into the woods. About 155 left to the pin. Delofted my 6 hyron to avoid the overhanging branches and punched my second shot that drew a bit and rolled just by the hole and six feet past. Missed the birdie putt but after that drive I was happy to make par.

I think my favorite today was a layup into a par 5 with my j15 4h. I ripped it high, straight and within 1' of my intended target line. we won't dwell on the back-to-back chunked pitches that followed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was on the 6th
280yd par 4
Dogleg left
Tee shot is uphill through a narrow chute to the fw that then runs back downhill.
Usually I hit hybrid into the fw and wedge on bit today I took 3w up over the trees and corner, and found my ball on the front of the green for eagle.
Of course I 3 putted lol

Holed out a bunker shot today for birdie. Dead center cut.
I have not done that in a looooooong while.

Back