Best Putter For Swing Arc

I've tried to "match" my putter to my stroke (or vise versa) for years, and all I can say is that the reason there are so many permutations of the basic putter shape is because it's virtually impossible to use a 3-stroke matching system like Ping or a 4-dash matching system like Odyssey and find what suits even the majority of players out there. I might aim to be a SBST putter, but that little bit of arc that sneaks in, or the little bit of wrist break I have, or how I turn my shoulder to get the club where I want it for the backswing on longer putts, suddenly saying face-balanced mallet is the best putter for me doesn't apply.

Does your putter do the following:

allows you to address the ball in a way that makes you confident it will match up with your intended line;
return to square to the target line at impact;
allow you to strike the ball with the middle of the club face; and
allow you to control pace?

If the answer to all of those is yes, then you've probably got a winner. If the answer to any of those is no, the quest will continue. And while there are general matches that usually apply to the second criteria on there, it's still just too wide open to match a specific stroke to a specific putter.

Ping TR Scottsdale Shea H ....best putter I have ever owned.

Apparently I said something in this thread that was the "dumbest thing". I stand by it. SBST and arc strokes are forced in my opinion. I stand by my original point from 2 years ago.

What aspects of putter design work best if your natural putting stroke is straight back straight through?

And open back, closed through?

The Ping Anser 5 is designed for straight back, straight through. I have one as a hand me down but I don't putt that way.

Apparently I said something in this thread that was the "dumbest thing". I stand by it. SBST and arc strokes are forced in my opinion. I stand by my original point from 2 years ago.

I think saying, "I've got what feels like a SBST stroke and a putter that says it's for SBST putters, so I'm not going to let any amount of arc show up in my stroke" will cause people to force other movements into what should be a simple, fluid movement. This has been a big problem for my putting for a long time. I think very few people have a real SBST stroke, and very few people have a true arcing stroke. Trying to force other elements into the putting movement will only add complexity to the motion, whether it's what the putter was "meant to do," or some piece of advice you heard.

Back