Best Putter For Swing Arc

Idrops

Reaction score
What aspects of putter design work best if your natural putting stroke is straight back straight through?

And open back, closed through?

I use a SBST stroke and a face balanced mid mallet typically works the best for me. Of course I do have a heavily toe-weighted Cleveland Classic #2 that I like.

I'm not an arc putter so I don't have any vaild input on that.

I've heard great things about the iPing app. I've heard it reccomends putters for you're stroke type. I'd get the cradle and check it out! Or in reverse order. Whichever.

I am believer in that the putting stroke should have 0 hand manipulation. A SBST and an arc both demand hand menipulation. The rule of thumb however is that anything with toe hang is better for an arc. Face balanced is better for SBST. However, Steve Stricker is one of the best putters in the world. He swears by his SBST stroke, yet he uses a putter with a massive amount of toe hang.

There is nothing uniform about putters or putting strokes.

There is no such thing as SBST. Every putting stroke has somewhat of an arc to it. The, "best" putter for your putting stroke is one that you are comfortable with, that feels right to you and is fitted to you.
Stricker is a great example of this: he has a fairly SBST putting stroke yet he uses an Anser style putter, which most people would say is a putter that is more for a putting stroke that has an arc.

There is no such thing as SBST. Every putting stroke has somewhat of an arc to it. The, "best" putter for your putting stroke is one that you are comfortable with, that feels right to you and is fitted to you.
Stricker is a great example of this: he has a fairly SBST putting stroke yet he uses an Anser style putter, which most people would say is a putter that is more for a putting stroke that has an arc.

I thought Stricker used a Zing shape.

I've heard great things about the iPing app. I've heard it reccomends putters for you're stroke type. I'd get the cradle and check it out! Or in reverse order. Whichever.

This. I demoed it at the local golfsmith when it launched and it recommended an anser style blade for me. I switched from a ping b60 to a tm daytona and I'm sinking more putts than I can remember. I hope they launch this for androids soon, because I really want one but won't switch to an iphone.

I thought Stricker used a Zing shape.
Yeah, it is more of a Zing. He uses an Odyssey White Hot 550. Either way, not the putter that youd think someone who believes in the SBST putting stroke would use.

This. I demoed it at the local golfsmith when it launched and it recommended an anser style blade for me. I switched from a ping b60 to a tm daytona and I'm sinking more putts than I can remember. I hope they launch this for androids soon, because I really want one but won't switch to an iphone.
Ive heard great things about this app too. I cant wait until my contract is up next year and I can get an iPhone. My putting is pretty good now but Im hoping this app will help me start sinking more long putts.

Does a center shaft putter favor a swing type?

While most (myself included) that use a cs putter have a sbst stroke I would be hesitant to say its exclusive. I have an Odyssey cs that is toe weighted vs being face balanced. It's all about finding what works best for you, type casting doesn't work.

--
tapatalk

I just picked up the I-Ping app and cradle. The app says I have a strong arc with my anser style putter, and I seem to stroke the ball with a slightly closed face, and yet I usually miss my putts to the right.
Is this telling me I should use a more face balanced putter to reduce the arc?

I just picked up the I-Ping app and cradle. The app says I have a strong arc with my anser style putter, and I seem to stroke the ball with a slightly closed face, and yet I usually miss my putts to the right.
Is this telling me I should use a more face balanced putter to reduce the arc?

Sounds like you're cutting across the ball, think slice. Even though you are hitting the ball on the outside your stroke is imparting a slight right spin onto the ball. Try a CS putter next time youre in a shop and see if you control the head a little better, it works for some.

Edit: Or you may be like I once was, alignment is off

Sounds like you're cutting across the ball, think slice. Even though you are hitting the ball on the outside your stroke is imparting a slight right spin onto the ball. Try a CS putter next time youre in a shop and see if you control the head a little better, it works for some.

Thaks SW, I never would have thought of that. I'll give that a go in the shop, and see if it helps.

Does a center shaft putter favor a swing type?
I would say it favors a SBST as you have to stand closer to the ball with a center shaft and typically with SBST you stand closer to the ball and more hunched over.

I would say it favors a SBST as you have to stand closer to the ball with a center shaft and typically with SBST you stand closer to the ball and more hunched over.

That's gonna depend a lot on your lie angle and putter length.

--
tapatalk

This. I switched to a CS putter last year and it helped eliminate the same miss. It actually helps me with my tempo too and keeps me from flicking the putter

That's gonna depend a lot on your lie angle and putter length.

--
tapatalk
True. Most center-shaft putters that Ive seen were pretty upright though.

I am believer in that the putting stroke should have 0 hand manipulation. A SBST and an arc both demand hand menipulation.

Could you elaborate on this please?

I think he is referring to the theory that with SBST you need to try to close the clubface on your backswing and try to open it at impact in order to keep it square and with an arm you need to open the face on your backswing and close at impact.
Ive seen a few Youtube videos where people talk about this but to me it sounds like its asking for trouble.

I think he is referring to the theory that with SBST you need to try to close the clubface on your backswing and try to open it at impact in order to keep it square and with an arm you need to open the face on your backswing and close at impact.
Ive seen a few Youtube videos where people talk about this but to me it sounds like its asking for trouble.

Yeah that is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. The beauty of sbst is that it takes face angles out of play.

--
tapatalk

I've always thought of an SBST stroke as more "elbowy", so you can minimize/avoid using the hands. As far as having an arc stroke...you don't need your hands for that. Just rotate around your spine, putt with your core.

Yeah that is the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. The beauty of sbst is that it takes face angles out of play.

--
tapatalk
Agree! I was always taught the the more hand manipulation you have in your putting stroke the harder its going to be to make a consistent stroke.

I was gaming an Odyssey White Hot #9 with toe hang. I have a slight arc according to the iPING app. It is a nice putter, but I was having trouble with longer lag putts. Close in, it was deadly. I purchased an Odyssey White Ice 2.0 2 ball, face balanced, using the 370 gm weight, and it works most excellent, despite being a SBST type putter. It works just fine with my slight arc putting stroke. I tried PING putters that were supposed to be slight arc, the Senita etc. but honestly, I was putting much better with the 2 ball Odyssey, so in my bag it went. My lag putts are a lot closer, and the short stuff is lights out! I'm leaning toward "putt with what works" over spec'd out measurements. If it works for you, use it! The Odyssey 2 ball seemed to swing smooth and steady whether it tried SBST or stayed with the slight arc, but the PING's... I just couldn't get the same result. Well, except for the B60 slight arc design. That thing was great, but not much different than my #9 in weight. The 2 ball won out over everything else. It simply fit me and it worked.

Back