Amazon Kindle Fire

When using both the Xoom and IPad, it was clunky to use the full keyboard in a traditional sense as my hands dont fit well, and using my thumbs (like a cell phone), I found it hard to reach some keys without adjusting hands. With the smaller 7" models, I can type as I do on a cell phone and the speed and accuracy were better for me.

That makes sense. I don't know much about tablets, other than the fact that Erin is desperate for one. I have to admit, the price point of this sucker is a lot more intriguing for me, for her. So, can you download apps like facebook and tapatalk and stuff?

That makes sense. I don't know much about tablets, other than the fact that Erin is desperate for one. I have to admit, the price point of this sucker is a lot more intriguing for me, for her. So, can you download apps like facebook and tapatalk and stuff?

Of course. What they have done is rather genius. They are using the Android platform, but kind of their own Amazon version of it. One thing that everybody hates about Android is that while its Open and Free as a platform, there ends up being a lot of junk in there. Well Amazon is not using the Google Marketplace, but their own and will apparently filter out all the junk. This still keeps it Open and Free, but eliminates garbage.

Of course. What they have done is rather genius. They are using the Android platform, but kind of their own Amazon version of it. One thing that everybody hates about Android is that while its Open and Free as a platform, there ends up being a lot of junk in there. Well Amazon is not using the Google Marketplace, but their own and will apparently filter out all the junk. This still keeps it Open and Free, but eliminates garbage.

Isn't that something. Well, i need to do some research for sure. I'm like ad, I need some real world feedback. I don't think I've ever preordered anything.

I will be really nice. That is one thing I love about the app store. No junk is involved.

Isn't that something. Well, i need to do some research for sure. I'm like ad, I need some real world feedback. I don't think I've ever preordered anything.

If this functions just like a xoom then i say you need one. I bought a xoom for 150 bucks and i use it a ton

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Im not big on it either. I definitely wanted 7" rather than 10" after messing with both sizes. Easier to hold with 1 hand and for me, far easier to type on. Then I went with a brand. I really like the vision Amazon has with this device with free storage, huge library, and the idea that they are not going to bend me over in terms of price. For what I use a tablet for, which is internet, media and some light emailing, this was the way to go. I dont need the high powered machine of the Xoom or the not as high powered machine that features a more polished interface with the IPad. I wanted a less expensive device that was easier for me to type on, that had all the features for what I use.

When using both the Xoom and IPad, it was clunky to use the full keyboard in a traditional sense as my hands dont fit well, and using my thumbs (like a cell phone), I found it hard to reach some keys without adjusting hands. With the smaller 7" models, I can type as I do on a cell phone and the speed and accuracy were better for me.

While I agree on having a preference for a smaller tablet, in regards to the on screen keyboard of the ipad, have you had the chance to use one with iOS5 that has the option to seperate the keyboard to each side of the screen? Makes it much easier to hold the iPad and type with the thumbs.

While I agree on having a preference for a smaller tablet, in regards to the on screen keyboard of the ipad, have you had the chance to use one with iOS5 that has the option to seperate the keyboard to each side of the screen? Makes it much easier to hold the iPad and type with the thumbs.

I have. As recently as last night. Still prefer the smaller tablet for typing. I wish it was the other way.

I have to admit I have not paid attention to this. I just want something for browsing THP while I'm watching TV at night. This could be perfect

I have to admit I have not paid attention to this. I just want something for browsing THP while I'm watching TV at night. This could be perfect

A tablet is perfect for that Chunky, the Fire is going to be a good one, especially at the price point it's set at.

I disagree with much of that though. Calling it a con to have limited onboard storage when the storage is virtually unlimited is ridiculous to me. The ironic part of this is that it comes up and yet people forget that the other big tablet company is doing virtually the same thing with cloud storage....and the best part is, that other company is merely renting the space from Amazon and charging for it.

When the IPad came out, it changed the tablet game. Apple is one of the true kings of innovation. I find it truly ironic though that when a machine came out that was better in almost every spec (Xoom), Apple and users touted that specs dont mean much and its what a company has behind it and stands behind it that matters. Now a company that truly is iconic in the world of online anything comes up with something and the same people say "Specs are too low". The argument cannot be both sides. Either specs are what matters or they arent.

Once the device comes out (not a single reviewer has used it on their own as of yet), more detailed information will be ready. But for me, I love seeing a company sell something for a loss to enter a market and gain consumers rather than the alternative of completely overcharging the consumer because a company knows they can.

I sort of agree about the storage part. Not really sure why that is a con when you can add as much storage as you want. Anyway, I just thought it was a good read for those thinking about this device. Price point will be the key selling feature here bar none and for some that's all that matters.

I sort of agree about the storage part. Not really sure why that is a con when you can add as much storage as you want. Anyway, I just thought it was a good read for those thinking about this device. Price point will be the key selling feature here bar none and for some that's all that matters.

Agreed. My rant was not against you of course.

I think this will be the device that brings tablets to the next level for everybody. Which means more apps, better apps and more automation. If the numbers are correct that people are spouting about, this will sell close to 5 million units and with the company discussing putting out 2 more versions next year, it is safe to say that there will be great choices for consumers when they decide to go to the tablet world.

Agreed. My rant was not against you of course.

I think this will be the device that brings tablets to the next level for everybody. Which means more apps, better apps and more automation. If the numbers are correct that people are spouting about, this will sell close to 5 million units and with the company discussing putting out 2 more versions next year, it is safe to say that there will be great choices for consumers when they decide to go to the tablet world.

I think this is a very good point. And this can only help consumers with someone else finally able to sell something that makes Apple think. Assuming that is does that once it comes out. Like you said, no one has actually used one outside of Amazon. Id love to see Apple's hand forced and come out with something smaller and less expensive. Rumors are its in the works but its all rumors for now. One thing that did worry me in that article is it said you are limited to the Amazon app store only. I find that odd. What is there's no Tapatalk? Would you still get it? I use my iPad for Tapatalk all the time. Except when I need to write up a stellar review and add links, etc. But for basic posting I use it all the time. Getting off topic here so in the end competition is always good for the consumer and up to this point Apple has had none.

I think this is a very good point. And this can only help consumers with someone else finally able to sell something that makes Apple think. Assuming that is does that once it comes out. Like you said, no one has actually used one outside of Amazon. Id love to see Apple's hand forced and come out with something smaller and less expensive. Rumors are its in the works but its all rumors for now. One thing that did worry me in that article is it said you are limited to the Amazon app store only. I find that odd. What is there's no Tapatalk? Would you still get it? I use my iPad for Tapatalk all the time. Except when I need to write up a stellar review and add links, etc. But for basic posting I use it all the time. Getting off topic here so in the end competition is always good for the consumer and up to this point Apple has had none.

THat was one of my biggest concerns, but in speaking with a friend that blogs for a rather large electronic site, he said that it should be no worry at all. That you should still be able to move files back and forth and that the Amazon app store will be downright huge based on the way they are targeting developers.

The size and price are the deciding factors for me. I much prefer the 7" form factor to the 10".

I have a kindle from last year, and this one makes me want to upgrade.

I've had the Barnes and Noble Nook Color for about 3 months now and I love it. It's on an Android platform as well, has e-mail and web browsing and a wide variety of apps available for it. In fact, I'm sitting here at work playing angry birds on it right now

I preordered one for my wife's Bday, I can't wait to get it in hand, it looks like a great device. An I'm an Apple geek with an iphone 4 and an ipad 2, but I think this is a great pricepoint for a tablet device.

I want one badly still, trying to hold off until my B-Day in December and not pre-order it. Want one though, I love my Kindle, this just ups that IMO.

I looked at my order info and I should have mine on the 16th. Pretty darn excited.

I looked at my order info and I should have mine on the 16th. Pretty darn excited.
I have been reading up on the browser on the Fire, Silk. That browser looks very nice, could be one of the nicest ive seen on a tablet. IMO, Safari on the iPad is lacking in a big way, but it looks like Amazon got it right with Silk.

I'm pretty interested to see how this stacks up against the iPad. I'm an Apple fan, and I think Apple generally does the best in terms of user-friendliness and innovative ideas. The iPad 2 rules and this has a lot of hype. I hope this an stand up to all of the hype and be a very good tablet like it seems.

I have been reading up on the browser on the Fire, Silk. That browser looks very nice, could be one of the nicest ive seen on a tablet. IMO, Safari on the iPad is lacking in a big way, but it looks like Amazon got it right with Silk.

As a safari user, I hope they make some tweaks to it on the tablet side of things. Im very intrigued with Silk. Its getting a lot of press about how it works and could it change the dynamics of browsing.

I'm struggling to find a place in my life for a tablet. This one definitely has a great price point vs. iPad3. With the combination of my phone, nook, and laptop I think I'm good. But I really want one.

Back