Amazon Kindle Fire

morekimchi

Reaction score
Handicap
Amazon unveiled its new color tablet/e-reader. Wondering what people's initial reactions are. No camera, but access to lots of amazon content, a free month of prime, and a lower price point. Will it be as hot as the name suggests?

Interesting. I love my Kiddle. It does everything that I want it to do. And the price was good last year when I got it. Now the price is fantastic.

I'll be interested to read some hands-on reviews when they become available. I think I would enjoy having a tablet around the house, but the $499 for the iPad is just too much to experiment with. My wife loves her Kindle3 and I think they will have a hit with these, but not sure how great the first version will be.

Very cool - seems like a great item to have around the house for the kids. Something they can use to read books, play a couple of games, etc. I am interested in this. And I have an Amazon Prime membership which gets you access to lots of streaming movies/TV shows. I assume they will highlight this aspect and make it easy to access.

We love our 2nd gen Kindle! I've been pondering another one so the wife and I don't have to fight over it. We have the first gen iPad too but it's just too heavy to bring along most of the time. I'm most interested in the Kindle Touch among the stuff announced today.

I assume they had an easier time getting cheap 3G coverage for the e-ink Kindles because the bandwidth demands will be much lower... but why not work something out for the media-based Fire that is throwing all its' weight behind cloud storage?

I want one. Badly.

I love my 3rd gen, but ​I want one of these something fierce.

No plans for a UK release so far by the look of things. The other half has recently got a Kindle, loves it.

Was just told by the wife to try and sell my 3rd gen and she's consider this one for my b-day in December....hmmm...

It looks like it's gonna be a smash, though I will reserve judgment until I see actual reviews of functionality. 200 bucks for a tablet is what's needed to give Apple a true fight. No tablet will ever replace my ereader though. I've had a Sony Reader since before the Kindle even came out, and I love it. Readability just isn't the same on a computer screen.

No plans for a UK release so far by the look of things. The other half has recently got a Kindle, loves it.
Not even releasing it here in Canada yet. Luckily if I really want one, I'm just a short trip from the border. And despite near parity of the dollars, even when it does come out here it'll likely be 20% more expensive.

As long as you can read comicbooks on it (which you can), it has my interest. This, iPad and Galaxy are vying for my attention.

Looks like a great gadget to have around the house. I love all the content that amazon prime offers

sad.. my brother just picked up a kindle LOL... he's gonna be sad....

There are so many interesting story lines regarding Amazon and their Kindle Fire I'd probably be up for the next three hours compiling and organizing my thoughts. In short, this in an incredibly shrewd move by Amazon. If they had jumped to a full-featured table (I mean consumption and content creation, more internal memory, front facing camera, larger size) to compete with the iPad, chances are Amazon gets plowed over like all the competitors so far. Instead, Amazon focused solely on content consumption leveraging what they do well with Kindle and what they've learned from the Amazon Android Appstore. From a consumer perspective, Amazon is the only content seller than can compete with Apple - apps, movies, ebooks, music and the are leveraging their web-services platform which they are, by far in my opinion, the best in the business. (This whole using the web services to better deliver your browsing is brilliant, btw.) So, for now, Amazon will sell their TabletReader at a significant discount, a loss leader, get people connected to the Amazon marketplaces. If they can get enough traction in the market, then we might see them challenge the iPad

Edit - Once I get the Kindle Fire in my hands and put it through the paces, it very well could be the exact device I'm looking for. I'm guessing, though, that the tech in the iPad is much more refined and that's where I'll end up. (For example, the Fire might be great to play Angry Birds, but the screen may not be sensitive enough for me to doodle network diagrams and take electronic notes. Who knows ... yet.)

This thing looks pretty sweet, and only a $199! I think this will finally give the iPad some much needed competition.

The price is attractive. I think it is hot now. I preorder one for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the only way to give Apple a run for its money. All these companies got it wrong for so long. You can make a better gadget, but when marketing comes, they lose and so goes it. You walk into a store and both are $499, most will buy the Ipad. Now at $199 that changes everything. And with the largest online retailer behind it, you know it has legs.

Pre-Ordered.

JB- did you order it more for the reading ability or the tablet functionality? Agree with your assessment of it vs the iPad re: price point too

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

JB- did you order it more for the reading ability or the tablet functionality? Agree with your assessment of it vs the iPad re: price point too

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

My previous two tablets (IPad2 and Xoom) were used for 3 things.
Internet
Reading
Video

This does the same thing, but the smaller 7" I found easier to type on.

My previous two tablets (IPad2 and Xoom) were used for 3 things.
Internet
Reading
Video

This does the same thing, but the smaller 7" I found easier to type on.

You found it easier to type on a smaller screen? That doesn't make sense to me.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts when you get it JB. I'm waiting to read the reviews before taking the leap with this one.

I am not really feeling this device. It just looks weird and bulky to me. I can't wait to see one when it comes out, but I just don't think I would like it.

You found it easier to type on a smaller screen? That doesn't make sense to me.

When using both the Xoom and IPad, it was clunky to use the full keyboard in a traditional sense as my hands dont fit well, and using my thumbs (like a cell phone), I found it hard to reach some keys without adjusting hands. With the smaller 7" models, I can type as I do on a cell phone and the speed and accuracy were better for me.

Back