World Golf Rankings- 4/25/2011

No one seems to have a problem with Ryo's current world ranking and he predominantly plays on the Asian Tour. Is it b/c he's not #1?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Who says?

And when he gets to #1 or even in the top 5 then it becomes a MAJOR story.

Who says?

And when he gets to #1 or even in the top 5 then it becomes a MAJOR story.

No one here says. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about Ryo's schedule.

No one here says. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about Ryo's schedule.

Because while it matters in some places, he is a complete non-issue on the PGA Tour. Call that bias or anything else, but its true. However like I said, if he gets into even the top 10, then there are issues. But you are comparing that with a guy that just became #1 due to a loophole (as some call it), that is a huge difference.

Because while it matters in some places, he is a complete non-issue on the PGA Tour. Call that bias or anything else, but its true. However like I said, if he gets into even the top 10, then there are issues. But you are comparing that with a guy that just became #1 due to a loophole (as some call it), that is a huge difference.

It's not a loophole, it's what is the system. Again, for the brazilainth time, I think the current system blows but it is what it is. And it's not like Lee walzed into this position. In 2009/2010 he may have been the most consistent golfer on the planet and unfortunately it was the golf then that put him in this position now.

It's not a loophole, it's what is the system. Again, for the brazilainth time, I think the current system blows but it is what it is. And it's not like Lee walzed into this position. In 2009/2010 he may have been the most consistent golfer on the planet and unfortunately it was the golf then that put him in this position now.

So because its been said before, people cant complain about it? Of course they can.

And Lee has been consistent, but cmon, double points for paid appearances? You are okay with that?

"double points for paid appearances" This sounds like the owgr is more into promotion than ranking. Would LW have made #1 with the points the other players (unpaid appearance) would have recieved for a win, like Ryo?

Last edited:
I think Luke Donald is the best right now. His consistency is amazing.

Thainer, you forgot to sign out of your pseudo account.

Reactions: JB
John Fienstein posed an interesting idea. Should golf writers vote for the top 25 in golf similar to the systems in college football and basketball?

I'm sure other players have picked up double points over the two year period, wasn't Tiger paid more than the winners cheque down in Australia two years running?
Westy is not the only one to benifit from this. The system does suck but it is what it is, the problem is there is no one stand out player at the moment.

John Fienstein posed an interesting idea. Should golf writers vote for the top 25 in golf similar to the systems in college football and basketball?

I think that Golf is just too much for writers to be expected to keep up on. IMO it is too much for them to keep up on in college football.
The real problem in that system is that so much hangs on world ranking. Invites to majors, PGA cards, etc. While the poll may be able to handle the top 25, I doubt it can accurately handle the top 60+ needed for these other purposes.

No, they have tourneys and scorecards for that. No system will be perfect but opinion and bonus points shouldn't have any merit. I'm thinking a basic ranking system for each different tour. We all know where the big boys play.

no, please no. Writers have their own tendencies and biases. As if the years of turmoil and arguments over the college football polls haven't proven that already. It's human. As Rx said, the world ranking determine, to some degree, who gets into majors, wgc events, other things of that nature; the computerized ranking for all it's faults has no bias and is fair to everyone within the limits of the system.

So because its been said before, people cant complain about it? Of course they can.

And Lee has been consistent, but cmon, double points for paid appearances? You are okay with that?

I like reading the complaints. Makes for good bait when I get into the thread! :wink:

I'm sure other players have picked up double points over the two year period, wasn't Tiger paid more than the winners cheque down in Australia two years running?
Westy is not the only one to benifit from this. The system does suck but it is what it is, the problem is there is no one stand out player at the moment.

Bingo. This rule now adds a bit to why Woods was so far ahead for so long. He was getting paid to turn up in many places. I realise we're only talking about this rule now, but I can understand how he got to 16.something points with that in place. Makes me think there might be some cash to be made by someone somewhere based on this daft rule.

I don't think the competition at the top is a problem, I think it's pretty exciting and we're now talking about the rankings more than ever, which is a good thing in my opinion. Whether the system is right or wrong I guess is another debate.

I like reading the complaints. Makes for good bait when I get into the thread! :wink:
Bingo. This rule now adds a bit to why Woods was so far ahead for so long. He was getting paid to turn up in many places. I realise we're only talking about this rule now, but I can understand how he got to 16.something points with that in place. Makes me think there might be some cash to be made by someone somewhere based on this daft rule.

I don't think the competition at the top is a problem, I think it's pretty exciting and we're now talking about the rankings more than ever, which is a good thing in my opinion. Whether the system is right or wrong I guess is another debate.

While I am sure it played a role, and I am no fan, that is not even close to the reason he was so far ahead. Winning at the clip he did was the reason, although bonus points are never a good thing.

However they really come to light when there is a close race and they help decide on pushing someone over the top. Mr. McButterpants got to 1st by beating a weaker field and being paid. Regardless of consistency over the last two years, the only thing that comes to light based on the timing is the current move in my opinion.

Regardless of consistency over the last two years, the only thing that comes to light based on the timing is the current move in my opinion.

I agree but it's the past 2 years that put him in this position. We can't lose sight of that b/c that's what the current system caters to. I know you are a subjective fella so you just have to take your dislike for the current system out of the equation.

I agree but it's the past 2 years that put him in this position. We can't lose sight of that b/c that's what the current system caters to. I know you are a subjective fella so you just have to take your dislike for the current system out of the equation.

I am subjective and why do I have to take the dislike for the system out of the equation? Clearly Im alone in the subjectiveness though.

Run of the mill finishes (top 10s) and winning durham bulls games does not make a World Series Champion.

In your opinion who deserves to be number one now? Luke Donald has been consistent and won the WGC matchplay,Phil won in Houston,Schwartzel won the Masters and on the Euro tour this year and what about Mark Wilson? Won twice so far on the PGA tour which we all know is still the premier tour in the world.Let's hear your thoughts on who should be number one in the world without considering the current rankings.

In your opinion who deserves to be number one now? Luke Donald has been consistent and won the WGC matchplay,Phil won in Houston,Schwartzel won the Masters and on the Euro tour this year and what about Mark Wilson? Won twice so far on the PGA tour which we all know is still the premier tour in the world.Let's hear your thoughts on who should be number one in the world without considering the current rankings.

Me! (well I'd be a more popular choice than Lee :D )

It's a tough one at the moment, and I think the rankings are in such a state of flux that you could suggest anyone in the top 5 or 10 and not be too far off base. I'm undecided, because I don't know how far back the rankings should go when I consider who should be number 1.

Westwood still a looser?? :D

Westwood still a looser?? :D

He was only 4 shots back heading into Sunday in a pretty weak field :alien:

Nah, I'm glad to see him get the W. He's been striking the ball so well this year, just struggling with the putter. It's nice to see him hit some decent form.

And to add another thing: the argument of Lee not being able to get it done on a Sunday is now bunk. He had to finish in the top 5 to retain the #1 and he did more than that. Good for him. Perhaps this begins a reign at #1 for quite some time.

Just hoping he can do 4 good rounds in the Us open now!

Just hoping he can do 4 good rounds in the Us open now!

I'll be hoping for that. I guess that win on the Nationwide Tour last week really did a lot more good than people realize. :alien:

With the amount of supercomputing power, could not we just employ a system that was something like colleges power rankings??
Take into account:
1) the field you are playing against and how well they have played in the last (1 month, 3 months, etc...)
2) the difficulty of the course (we use slope for everything else...why not here)
3) other variables i cant think of without my coffee....??

bama

Back