Who has the Best A-Game?

JR

Reaction score
Handicap
Who, when they are on top of it, has the best game on tour? In other words, if everyone in a professional tournament is playing the best golf of their lives, who would come out on top?

I hate to be mister predictable, but I am gonna say Tiger. The thing is, he cannot STAY on his A Game. So he crashes and burns, at least recently.

This is a really hard question to answer. I think a lot depends on the course.

I want to say Phil, if he is on his A-Game then his aggressiveness is paying off right? Aggressive shots and huge risk/reward seem to really boost a good round into greatness.

Trouble is his A-Game is apparent .5/10 rounds.

Well, I'm with the OP - Tiger, when he's on, still has the best A-game on tour in my opinion. However, he just needs to bring that A-game for more than 2 rounds of a tournament. His ball-striking was simply phenomenal at the Masters but his putting was not near A-caliber. Plus, it hurt him at the Masters that he wasn't in the final pairing.

Honestly, I think we'll see a big year from Tiger. I think he'll be the favorite going into Congressional and will take it. I think his swing is where he wants it and I think the putter will come around.

I'm stuck on this one Phil has the best short game, Westwood/Sergio the best off the tee, Kaymer maybe the best putter.
But when all aspects are put togehter it's probably Tiger.

Without a doubt Tiger Woods! When he is playing great golf there is not a person on this earth who can beat him. He was the highest ranked golfer for about 6 years if I am correct when he was on his A game. He is an amazing golfer and I hope he soon returns to his stride.

I'll take the A game of the guy with 14 majors and 71 pga tour tournament victories

Wouldn't you love to see how Tiger, Nicklaus and Jones would have stacked up together, all modern equiptment and A games on?

I'll take the A game of the guy with 14 majors and 71 pga tour tournament victories

+2. The guy is a dirtbag but hard to argue the record.....

It's a really difficult question to quantify. Obviously the answer in the way the question is worded is Tiger.

But, we could also be talking about the players who can move up a gear and make a charge. Pick 2 out of the top 3 in the world. Luke Donald has an amazingly solid game, but it's about patience and isn't (imo) suited to going out chasing birdies. Westwood on the other hand can get streaky and charge down the back 9 (on a Saturday :D )

Wouldn't you love to see how Tiger, Nicklaus and Jones would have stacked up together, all modern equiptment and A games on?

That would be very interesting. Don't forget to throw Hogan, Byron and Snead in there as well.

Now an interesting thing to me is what quantifies an "a game" in this? Is it just when an a player is playing as good as he can for an extended period of time? Or could "a game" be the one round where they do everthing absolutely perfectly? I bring this up for the example of Johnny Miller's 61 at Oakmont. For a one round A game, that's pretty hard to top, even for Tiger and Nicklaus.

That would be very interesting. Don't forget to throw Hogan, Byron and Snead in there as well.

Remember to throw in young Tom Morris for good measure!

Tiger. When he is in beast mode he's pretty much unbeatable.

I dont see how you could take any other current player other than Tiger and really defend that decision.

I dont see how you could take any other current player other than Tiger and really defend that decision.

I agree. The front 9 at Augusta proves that. To bad it only lasted 9 holes.

+100! I'm with you, but if only he could put a couple of those Augusta front 9's

Yep no doubt this title goes hands down to Tiger Woods. I dont feel anyones best on tour is as good as Tiger's best.

Back