TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

Worked last night and am working tonight but still got some time to hit the range with the CBs today.

I was so tired after work that I just wanted to fall on my face in the bed. I forced myself to the range for a bit though because today was the kind of day that I got the CBs for.

Bad ball striking due to fatigue and my mind not being in it still produced some nice looking shots. Ball was trailing right on me a little bit but that was my fault as I couldn't keep my hips from firing through too fast. Body just wasn't in sync.

Despite as bad as I was hitting I was still pretty close to spot on with distances. These irons are doing what I got them for. Giving me good results on days when the Mizzys would leave a sour taste in my mouth.

At work right now, so I'll post more after a twilight 9 tomorrow.

So I tried to find out, what new TP iron is suitable for which kind of hcp ?! Maybe one of you guys can help me...

So there´s the MC, the CB and the 2.0... so I think it is clear that the 2.0 is the club for the more higher hcp people...

But what is the difference between the MC and CB when it comes to playability ?

I play Burner Superfast and have hcp 18.. I was thinking about getting new clubs when I´m around 15... I tried to find a post in the forum that discusses that topic, but couldn´t really find something that could help me.

Cheers
Matt

TM has said that the CB is appropriate for a 20 hcp. I would sort of disagree with that. I think that they are suited for players that hit the ball more consistently and don't need a lot of forgiveness.

Posted via Tapatalk.

TM has said that the CB is appropriate for a 20 hcp. I would sort of disagree with that. I think that they are suited for players that hit the ball more consistently and don't need a lot of forgiveness.

Posted via Tapatalk.

If you are a decently consistant ball striker than the CB's could be played by any handicap, however, if you're not the 2.0s are just great irons that can be played by any golfer.

If you are a decently consistant ball striker than the CB's could be played by any handicap, however, if you're not the 2.0s are just great irons that can be played by any golfer.

I would also add that if you lack (or desire more) distance these irons may not be for you either.

I would also add that if you lack (or desire more) distance these irons may not be for you either.

100% Hawk, if I was a 18 HC, and wanted to bring my HC down, the 2.0's would be the iron I would purchase. Forgiveness and crazy distance is only going to make you better.

They sure are pretty though :)

They sure are pretty though :)

Thats the truth, pretty is the word. When you hit them too you just can't stop thinking about them. I've hit them 4 times now and each time it gets harder and harder to put them down and leave the store.

100% Hawk, if I was a 18 HC, and wanted to bring my HC down, the 2.0's would be the iron I would purchase. Forgiveness and crazy distance is only going to make you better.

Thx guys,

but what about the MC ??

With my Burner Superfast.. personally for me, every iron feels the same... and another thing is that I can´t really tell if I shot a 100% good ball, or just 80..70% because they are sooo forgiving.. Sure you can tell if it was a "good" shot..but nothing more... I played 85 last weekend with these club.. so I think there´s still much improvement for my hcp, so I was thinking of getting new clubs when I got down at 15..

Sorry for my german-english :D

Matt

Thx guys,

but what about the MC ??

With my Burner Superfast.. personally for me, every iron feels the same... and another thing is that I can´t really tell if I shot a 100% good ball, or just 80..70% because they are sooo forgiving.. Sure you can tell if it was a "good" shot..but nothing more... I played 85 last weekend with these club.. so I think there´s still much improvement for my hcp, so I was thinking of getting new clubs when I got down at 15..

Matt

Do you mean Burner SuperLaunch irons? Is there a Superfast iron? You need to try them all if you can, but why give up forgiveness when you're trying to improve?

Kevin

Would you think I would get better results with CB being my current irons are 07 Cobra FP?

Thx guys,

but what about the MC ??

Matt

The MC's are going to be even less forgiving than the CB's. Personally (and this is just my opinion), I don't really see the point for a golfer that is anything less than an outstanding ballstriker to play the MC's. That is, if your goal is to score better. Why take forgiveness out of the equation? It's a great thing and something that even professionals need and use (albeit, much less than us mortals).

Would you think I would get better results with CB being my current irons are 07 Cobra FP?

Sorry, I've never played the FP irons. Either way, there is no way to tell unless you hit them both.

If the weather holds off tomorrow, I'm going to give these their first run in >60* weather. Supposedly there's no wind in the forecast wither but I'll believe that when I see it.

If the weather holds off tomorrow, I'm going to give these their first run in >60* weather. Supposedly there's no wind in the forecast wither but I'll believe that when I see it.

Nice dude, Im trying to get out tomorrow or Sunday myself. Hit some eggs around.

Do you mean Burner SuperLaunch irons? Is there a Superfast iron? You need to try them all if you can, but why give up forgiveness when you're trying to improve?

Kevin

I got Burner Plus.. sorry for the confusion....

There are two important things for me in choosing golf clubs. OK, three. First they need to fit your game, as there's no sense having your clubs working against you. But equally important for me are the tactile and emotional experience of the golf club you are using.

Taylormade rates the CB as being appropriate for golfers with from zero to a 20 handicap. But my index right now is 26.5. Should I have bought the Burner 2.0 instead of the CBs? Well maybe.....but:

My decision was made based on look, feel and sound, AND the fact that I hit them well. I just "knew" that the CB was the absolutely correct iron for me after hitting it. I'm not a super long hitter so I probably could have benefited from the stronger lofts in the game improvement irons. But I'm long enough, that being able to jack a five iron 200 yards isn't the thing that will improve my game the most. I'm looking forward to getting the CBs out on the course to see how I do with the 8-AW. I think the feel and the ball flight of these irons will help my game and allow me to become a better golfer. Then, once I get better with my sand wedge and putter, I should be able to shave about 10 strokes off my index.

There are two important things for me in choosing golf clubs. OK, three. First they need to fit your game, as there's no sense having your clubs working against you. But equally important for me are the tactile and emotional experience of the golf club you are using.

Taylormade rates the CB as being appropriate for golfers with from zero to a 20 handicap. But my index right now is 26.5. Should I have bought the Burner 2.0 instead of the CBs? Well maybe.....but:

My decision was made based on look, feel and sound, AND the fact that I hit them well. I just "knew" that the CB was the absolutely correct iron for me after hitting it. I'm not a super long hitter so I probably could have benefited from the stronger lofts in the game improvement irons. But I'm long enough, that being able to jack a five iron 200 yards isn't the thing that will improve my game the most. I'm looking forward to getting the CBs out on the course to see how I do with the 8-AW. I think the feel and the ball flight of these irons will help my game and allow me to become a better golfer. Then, once I get better with my sand wedge and putter, I should be able to shave about 10 strokes off my index.

I'm a bit lower handicap but I'm in the same boat. When I hit these clubs compared to the 2.0's I knew I had to have the CB's. The soft feel of these clubs allows me to hit more accuracte and (I'm hoping) consistent shots. Sure distance is great and all, but what my game need was accuracy. I can bomb golf balls all day long, but if they don't hit their mark what's the point. I think you will have a lot of fun with the 8-AW. When I tested these at the Kingdom last month the 7-8-9-PW were my favorite clubs of the set. These shorter iron clubs were just insanely accurate and had amazing touch.

Thanks CB, I appreciate the comments from a fellow lefty! The irons are a work of art. I took them to the range today with mixed results to be honest. Stiff head wind and I was hitting about 10 yards short of where I thought I should be. I'm chalking that up to me just needing to get used to the irons. The ball flight is high and more penetrating than the irons I'm coming off of - and that was what I wanted so I'm happy with that.

I also took a swing lesson from a pro today. I thought I was connecting pretty well recently, but the pro changed my aim point, my grip, takeaway, and downswing, and stance. Well not so much changed as made "strong suggestions for improvement, that involved some adjustments". So now I'd say I'm hitting the CBs less consistently well, but the ones I connected with flew straighter and farther than with my "regular" swing.

I'm heartened that the pro liked my swing and said I hit better than my handicap indicates - and then gave me some course management tips that he thought might help. I'm encouraged and I'm taking the CBs out tomorrow afternoon for their first round.

I'm dedicating myself to becoming a better golfer, and the CBs were one of the steps, so we'll just see where this path leads.

Thanks CB, I appreciate the comments from a fellow lefty! The irons are a work of art. I took them to the range today with mixed results to be honest. Stiff head wind and I was hitting about 10 yards short of where I thought I should be. I'm chalking that up to me just needing to get used to the irons. The ball flight is high and more penetrating than the irons I'm coming off of - and that was what I wanted so I'm happy with that.

I also took a swing lesson from a pro today. I thought I was connecting pretty well recently, but the pro changed my aim point, my grip, takeaway, and downswing, and stance. Well not so much changed as made "strong suggestions for improvement, that involved some adjustments". So now I'd say I'm hitting the CBs less consistently well, but the ones I connected with flew straighter and farther than with my "regular" swing.

I'm heartened that the pro liked my swing and said I hit better than my handicap indicates - and then gave me some course management tips that he thought might help. I'm encouraged and I'm taking the CBs out tomorrow afternoon for their first round.

I'm dedicating myself to becoming a better golfer, and the CBs were one of the steps, so we'll just see where this path leads.

Good luck tomorrow, but you prob won't need it toting the CB's around. hahahah. Just curious as to what the pro taught you about course management?

Mardin -

What the Pro was telling me probably isn't earthshattering news for most people, but I think I needed to hear it. He was just saying on approach shots to play it safe rather than aggressive. Notice where the bunkers are around the green and aim away from them. Look at where the flag stick is and where the green rolls off. So hit approach shots to a spot where (if your shot isn't perfect) that at least you have some green to work with on your chip shot.

From experience, I have trouble with bunkers immediately in front of the green. I've hit wedge shots that plugged into a bunker in front of a tucked pin, when there was a huge amount of safety shooting for the center of the green. I've hit a 3 hybrid 200 yards into a bunker fronting the green on a par 5 that was so steep I couldn't see the pin from the bottom. How much better would my score have been to choose a 4 iron and then a wedge to green center.

I've always considered golf "recreational", which to me means it's fun and I enjoy making good shots, but I've never really worked on consistency. and I'm in my 50s now, so it's about time I took it a bit more seriously, while still having fun. Today I'm going to concentrate on course management and staying out of trouble. With the grip and takeaway changes the pro was showing me yesterday, I'm having a bit of trouble squaring the clubhead at contact. I'm leaving it open and doing a push/slice. I'll work on that as well and work on making contact down the target line.

OK, at the risk of monopolizing this thread, I want to report back on my first round with the CBs today.

It was a mixed bag to be candid, but I'm still learning the clubs. I hit a great approach wedge shot - first time I'd ever used the 51 degree A wedge. It came up about 5 yards short of the green. But I pitched to about 12 feet and sunk the put for a par 5. The CBs seem sleek to me ( coming off of playing Cleveland CG Gold irons) and I enjoyed them today. I'm hitting about 10 yards short of where I was hitting the CG Gold irons, but I'm fairly confident that will improve as I get used to the CBs. My swing wasn't "on" today with the irons, but I had some great drives. Overall, I had a pretty good round for the first time out with new irons. I'm looking forward to hitting the CBs more and feel like they fit me just fine - I just need to get more familiar with them.

First round with these was horrible. Not at all the clubs performance rather my striking was still in range mode. I was playing a nasty hook and had a few Hosel rockets. The few well struck shots I had were like hitting cotton candy. I hacked it up good with my irons today. Not dejected in the least though.

Had some interesting observations yesterday when hitting these compared to my previous set. My ball striking is a little more consistent (center of the club face around groove 2 or 3) and solid with better tempo. The definite trade off is distance loss though as I was seeing a good club to club and a half difference. The CB's made me focus more on ball striking and even tempo whereas the x-24's I was comparing them to were more forgiving and gave me a feeling of 'just swing and let the ball get i the way.' It was like I had eliminated all the CB swing thoughts I was having and just swung. Were the results the same? No because they are two different irons but I thought it was interesting that I had two different mind sets when hitting these different sets

Back