The Round (or Moment) That Got You Hooked

UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
I went out golfing 2-3 times over the last 15+ years because it was part of a bachelor party weekend. I enjoyed the drinking and camaraderie more than the actual golf...

One day changed that.

My wife made me go with her dad and his 2 golfing buddies.
I had injured my left elbow, but didn't want to flake on them at the last minute.

To protect my elbow I started swinging really softly (hitting a fat shot hurt like crazy).

Lo and behold those soft swings launched the ball so much further than I would have ever imagined possible, and I fell in love instantly.

I believe I shot a 103 that day, and I was absolutely hooked.

How about you...What was the one round (or moment) that got you hooked on the game?

I had played a couple times in my early 20s, and after about a year at my first real job my boss told me to learn how to play because I was going on a company golf trip with him for several of our customers.

I got some hand me down clubs from my brother and he took me out at a muni course. I played terrible the whole round, except one shot when I pured a 3W on the 14th hole. It just felt great and it flew so damn well. I was hooked. Not sure how many hours or dollars I have spent since then, but I still want that beautiful shot. Too bad I still get about 1 per round even after all these years!

I was hooked the first time I picked up a club and realized how difficult the game is.

I was on an 8th grade overnight field trip and we were staying at a resort in the Poconos. There was a driving range and some of the guys in my class asked if I wanted to go hit a few.

Sports, as a whole, was something that came naturally to me. I picked up a golf club (pretty sure it was a 7 iron) and laughed because... how hard could it really be?

I spent 2+ hours hitting that same club with absolutely no success.

I went home and told my parents about it and my dad bought me a starter set for 8th grade graduation. I had no idea he played... but he and I spent time at the range and on a local course over that summer.

The next spring, much to the dismay of my coach, I gave up baseball to join the golf team. I struggled to break 60 for most of the year and didn't break 50 until my sophomore season.

I've been playing now for going on 23 years and I've yet to come close to saying I'm good.

It's a sport I can't figure out and that both aggravates me and drives me to want to play it more.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

Junior High School match about 37 years ago. Won medalist honors after shooting a 39 in our 9 hole match. Had been playing less than 6 months and most of my 9 hole rounds prior to that were high 40's / low 50's. I recall making putts all over the place!

When I started dating my now wife her dad asked me if I golfed. I played a couple times in middle school but didn't like it. I still had the clubs at my parents house so I told him I did. We played a couple times that year and it was ok. The next year I played in a scramble and sunk a 35' putt to win the longest putt made for the tournament. I think that's what hooked me. That was at the end of the golf season. Once the spring hit I bought some new clubs and have been playing as much as I can since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I O W A

I honestly don't remember a single, defining moment. I do know that every time I go out and enjoy myself, that has me wanting for another round. Also, anytime I make that one solid swing, and the sound/flight of the ball does what I want it to do... that has me wanting for another round. It's like a renewable energy source for me - leave the course always wanting more.

Turning the corner on number 4 at Bandon Dunes. Up until that point the round was awesome with fescue and dunes, but inland. Seeing the green in front of the ocean through the fog was magical. I was SO bad - might have shot 130. It was one of the most fun rounds of my life and I fell in love with the game again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can't say it was a single moment or round that got me hooked on the game of golf.

What I can say is that Finding THP relit that candle as it had been out for quite some time.

summer before my senior year of high school my parents bought me a few lessons at a goat ranch driving range as something to do, and maybe something i would get interested in that i could share with my grandfather and stepdad. the pro said two sentences over and over: "back to the target, finish on your left side." that's it. the whole time. i only hit 7i and it was terrible. then there was one strike. one effortless strike that exploded off the clubface, high and straight. and that was it. i was hooked.

I've told this story before somewhere I think, but for me it was the first time I ever played. I used to tease my uncle and my cousin about their love of golf, calling it a dumb game etc. One day my Uncle gets in my face up real close and tells me I can tease them all I want AFTER I try it once. Just one time. Until then, he didn't want to hear a peep out of me!

A short time later, we went out for 9. I had my mom's full set of Hogan Princess blades and Powder Blue woods. They gave me a half glove and some spikes that were about 2 sizes too big. It was so frustrating, but I was hooked from the start. That was almost 40 years ago and I still play that course on Wednesdays after work.

I love this game!

JM

Played when I was younger with my father and kind of fell out of golf at about 14. The moment I really found my love of the game was about 4-5 years ago (don't remember for sure) at a friends bachelor party. I bought a set of clubs from a buddy for $30 bucks to use at the outing and after the first 9 holes I remembered how much I loved the game and have been obsessed since. We were out golfing a group of 4 of us and it just kind of clicked, we were laughing and BSing and just having a good time and it kind of hit me, that i missed those rounds with my dad as well. within the following 6 months bought a full new set up and haven't looked back. Will say finding THP has played a HUGE part in the beginning keeping the love of the game alive.

Developed over a six month period. One minute I was barely hitting the ball the next I was defending my new clubs to my wife. Must've happened somewhere in there!

I'm 62. Up to 5 years ago I played, reluctantly, once a year or two, reluctantly through work since about 1980.

Then one day a client brought me to a range to hack and talk about a deal. He ended up showing me a few things and I hit 5 in a row, about 75 yards.

I am hooked

A year or two after college, while I was an embarrassingly bad player, I shared a round with my dad, my college roommate, and his dad. My roommate could play a little, but his father really could play. He helped me with something in my setup during the back nine, and I really started driving the ball well. Pin straight right down the middle while I had never hit anything but a huge slice. Even better, I strung three or four pars together to finish the round, and I may have had four pars in my entire golfing career up until that point. From then on, I was hooked.

Thinking back to it now, I wish I could remember what he told me about my setup, as I haven't hit a fairway in two years now…

Playing rounds and practicing with friends from work when im started and hitting some good shots during the round that hooked me. It wasn't one particular round but the various good shots each round

I wanted to try my hand at golfing when my doc told me no more running or skating, this was almost 4 years ago. My wife bought me a set of Walter Hagens at DSG for Father's Day, I went to the range a few times then played in a business networking scramble. I was mostly terrible, and we had one hole where 2 of us ended up on the fairway over after giant driver slices off the tee. We were elevated and had to hit over some trees to get back to our fairway. I had zero clue about what to do, so I grabbed a 4 hybrid and just mashed a shot that took off over the trees and ran up to the green. I got some appreciative hoots from my team plus another team who's fairway we were invading.

That pretty much did it for me.

Can't say it was a single moment or round that got me hooked on the game of golf.

What I can say is that Finding THP relit that candle as it had been out for quite some time.
I couldn't agree more, it may sound like a cliche, but when I went looking for some TM rescue info and found THP, golf became much more an obsession and I was hooked for life, to not only golf but THP!!!

I think i've been hooked since my first round at a par 3 with my dad. We never looked back

I got hooked at 20 when I went out with some other guys on the baseball team and played. When it was harder to hit a ball sitting still than a ball moving I said I must figure it out. 11 years now and I am more addicted than ever.

I tried playing as a teenager because I had a good friend that played regularly with his dad. After a few rounds of horrible golf I swore the game off as stupid and a waste of time.

15 or so years later after I developed a strong type A personality and drive to be successful at anything, I decided to pick up the game and go all in. So I guess it was before ever playing a round. Since then I have gone through multiple full bag fittings, 40+ lessons, and thousands of hours of practice.

I still have a long way to go, but will stick with the game for the rest of my life.

I've been playing since 1978 and have always loved the game. But I never took it real serious until Jacqui wanted to play in 2008. So when she said she wanted to play, I guess that's when I was officially hooked.

This is my 4th year playing golf. I was tentative in my first year, until I joined a men's club and hit a Hole-in-one on a Par 4. I was hooked. SInce then I play 2 to 3 times a week and have even started building/refurbishing club. While my game still needs much improvement, on average I am a 17 handicap and have the occasional round in the 70s. Wish I had started this game years ago.

I don't know that there was ever a round that hooked me. I think I was hooked before I played. All my Uncles and Grandpa played and I wanted to play so I could play with them.

Back