new workout...and added 60yds off the tee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiromikey

Reaction score
Handicap
i know the title sounds like a late night infomercial but it's not! i'm actually in disbelief!

i used to be a long hitter (for my size anyways, 5'6") but over the last few years i've lost a good 30yds and now maxing out around 265 with an occassional 280 thrown in if the conditions are right. i simply chalked it up to getting old as i'm now in my 40's. i do keep fit and work out with weights 3-4 times per week just to maintain my youthful figure (lol)...but i'm not into bulking up or maxing out. about 3 years ago i quit working my arms because i didn't like the buffed look (compared to an athletic look) and i felt that they got enough of a workout doing other parts of the body. recently i read a thread (that i can't find anymore) that talked about increasing arm strength to add distance. of course that got me thinking and wondering if my loss of distance was partially responsible for the coincidental timing of quiting my arm workouts.

so...for the last month i've added a very simple arm/forearm routine back to my workout schedule. i usually play at least 1-2 times per week and last saturday i played a round in which i absolutely crushed the ball further than i ever had before...averaging 320 with 3 drives into the 350's. however, my home course (southern dunes) was scalping their fairways in prep for over seeding so i was getting far more roll than typical and i chalked it up to extraordinary conditions. today i played orange tree and it was their first day open after over seeding so the course was soft, wet, and the grass was longer than normal. i still averaged 300+ with a two into the 330's.

i have changed nothing about my swing, driver, or ball...i have not been to the range in over a month and i'm not swinging any harder than i have before. is it possible that a simple arm workout is really responsible for this much distance??? has anyone else seen significant results from their workouts? if so, i'll be going for the popeye look post-haste!

I've never seen distance increases like that. I picked up some decent distance increases this past year by simply swinging the Taylormade Speed Sleeve every day.

I've never seen distance increases like that. I picked up some decent distance increases this past year by simply swinging the Taylormade Speed Sleeve every day.

I thought you said it was your forearm work out routine you started.

I havent, but it might be because I dont have to work out cause Im naturally built like a greek god.

But congrats to you for the big bombs off the tee

That's crazy distance gain. From one workout? I have to say I'm a bit skeptical.

Kettlebells.

kettlebell-group.pjpeg

None of this makes sense to me. Grats on hitting it so far.

That's crazy distance gain. From one workout? I have to say I'm a bit skeptical.

As am I. Distance is more than strength. Just look at some of the driver distance's on the LPGA. Great that 30 yards can be picked up, but I actually have never met anyone in 35 years of playing that could hit a driver that far day in, day out. Goes to show that you never know I guess.......

it may work for some but for everyone,who knows!!!i personally sometimes swing as hard as i can and sometimes gain nothing at all and it has me thinking,because sometimes i stand up and swing easy or what feels easy and the thing just flies and keeps going and going.it's all about clubhead speed and i think working on having quick hands and having a good lag on the clubhead after making the trnasition from back swing to down swing will help with creating more clubhead speeds and distance.

I've lost yards by working out. I'm genuinely curious, are you just working out a forearm, arm, single forearm, single arm or all listed? Whats this miracle workout?

i know the title sounds like a late night infomercial but it's not! i'm actually in disbelief!

i used to be a long hitter (for my size anyways, 5'6") but over the last few years i've lost a good 30yds and now maxing out around 265 with an occassional 280 thrown in if the conditions are right. i simply chalked it up to getting old as i'm now in my 40's. i do keep fit and work out with weights 3-4 times per week just to maintain my youthful figure (lol)...but i'm not into bulking up or maxing out. about 3 years ago i quit working my arms because i didn't like the buffed look (compared to an athletic look) and i felt that they got enough of a workout doing other parts of the body. recently i read a thread (that i can't find anymore) that talked about increasing arm strength to add distance. of course that got me thinking and wondering if my loss of distance was partially responsible for the coincidental timing of quiting my arm workouts.

so...for the last month i've added a very simple arm/forearm routine back to my workout schedule. i usually play at least 1-2 times per week and last saturday i played a round in which i absolutely crushed the ball further than i ever had before...averaging 320 with 3 drives into the 350's. however, my home course (southern dunes) was scalping their fairways in prep for over seeding so i was getting far more roll than typical and i chalked it up to extraordinary conditions. today i played orange tree and it was their first day open after over seeding so the course was soft, wet, and the grass was longer than normal. i still averaged 300+ with a two into the 330's.

i have changed nothing about my swing, driver, or ball...i have not been to the range in over a month and i'm not swinging any harder than i have before. is it possible that a simple arm workout is really responsible for this much distance??? has anyone else seen significant results from their workouts? if so, i'll be going for the popeye look post-haste!

That's an awesome gain in distance if it is from the arm workout I'm going to start doing an arm workout routine again!
On a side note are you chiromikey from mbworld?

That's a pretty significant distance gain. I haven't completely motivated myself to get back in the gym, but I am going to start a good workout for golf soon. I have been steadily working out my forearm for quite a while though, but haven't noticed any real distance gains on the course.

John Deere Tappin...

I havent, but it might be because I dont have to work out cause Im naturally built like a greek god.

But congrats to you for the big bombs off the tee

Man it's getting deep in here. Your built more like Will Ferrell!

I too use my speed sleeve, but haven't for a bit. For me I think I get my optimal distance when I hit the sweet spot. Could it be that your work out is slowing your tempo a bit and your finding the sweet spot better? Or do you really think it's the work out.

So what was the workout? Almost sounds like something in the IT industry called PFM. When something just works for no reason, PURE F***ING MAGIC!

So what was the workout? Almost sounds like something in the IT industry called PFM. When something just works for no reason, PURE F***ING MAGIC!

masterba....

Guys I don't know if we will ever know the secret work out. I hate it when people do that. Share it with us!

I measure my drives in feet instead of yards. That make it sound so much more impressive. Those kind of numbers are Dustin Johnson/Robert Garrigus long esp for someone that is 5'6". How much carry and how much roll are you getting? My swing speed is outing approved up to 123 mph, but I have never hit the ball that far.

Guys I don't know if we will ever know the secret work out. I hate it when people do that. Share it with us!

Dude totally agree. Wtc!

~Don't drink and tapatalk~

Dude totally agree. Wtc!

~Don't drink and tapatalk~

Definitely a wtc type moment. I dont doubt people can get into the 120's and hit that far but if its because of some workout, you gotta share the love!

I'm going to work on dropping weight and getting more flexible over the winter in hopes that it will help gain some yards. Not expecting to pick up 60, but an extra 7+ would be nice.

Gonna guess the forearm workout was just that.. A forearm workout. A couple come to mind. 1 is easy, just take a dumbbell and either do wrist curls where you just flex your wrist up or down. That winds up being a two-fold workout since you work the wrist and forearm. Another is just take a dumbbell and put both hands on the grip. Now spin it in your hands.

Lastly, you could do what Paul Casey did when he was young (insert innuendo here). Take a pipe, cylinder, whatever. Tie a rope in the middle of it, then hang a weight from it. Rotate the pipe until the weight is at the top, then unreel it just the same.

I've lost yards by working out. I'm genuinely curious, are you just working out a forearm, arm, single forearm, single arm or all listed? Whats this miracle workout?

+1

I've been hitting the gym harder this year than I used to. I've had to rework my swing and intiailly saw a drop off in my distances by about 1 club. I've adjusted a few things in my workout and my distance is back to where it was before.

I'm betting this magical forearm workout the OP is doing involves the "five knuckle shuffle".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back