How often do you see a Ranger/Marshall?

Thechosen1

#Thistagwilltravel
Reaction score
Handicap
At our local course it really aggregates me when we're behind a group who is slowing down the four group behind them, and then falls behind more than two holes. And the ranger is no where to be seen. Has happened maybe once every month this year and the course does nothing about it.

$$$ issues at my home course - can't pay the ranger. Thus, haven't seen him all year.

Happens way too often. Either try to play through and if that fails, I just call the clubhouse for a hopeful resolution!

Tappin' from my iPad!

It seems you used to see them much more often then now. With many of the courses hurting, they have either gone away from having a marshall ride around teh course, or only do it on weekend morning. It can certainly be frustrating at times.

When that happens call in to the pro shop and tell them. Most will send a marshal out to solve the problem. We have that problem on occasion but our marshals are also responsible for filling in divots in the fairway and on the tee boxes. But after talking to the head Pro I was told to call in and talk to whoever is at the desk and they will send someone out to resolve the problem. The last thing you want to do is get into an altercation because you are upset about it.

The courses in Central Fla have rangers that generally keep up the pace of play. But for most course it's a volunteer position and most of the volunteers are of the older set. It's a trade out for free golf.
Let me ask you this...are you looking for the ranger cuz you're working on a 5 hour round or is the group in front just slow. A normal round of golf should take a little over 4 hours. I sometimes find myself getting impatient but we are still within time and then I calm down.

My course doesnt have a Ranger/Marshall or even a starter....sucks because it gets really busy on weekends

They need to give a couple of the old guys free golf in exchange for being the ranger a couple of days a week.

Never. We don't have a starter either, you just sorta go. Not any congestion issues though.

Saw the ranger yesterday during our round, but he was following the wrong group. The slow play was 2 groups ahead of us but we weren't that far over a 4 hour round.

I've not seen a ranger at all on any course that I've played in NC

I see them all the time right before I tee off. They keep a tight watch on the pack of smokes in their cart.

No rangers on my school course or most of the ones I play. Only the really nice courses I play occasionally. It kind of sucks not having them sometimes.

generally i just see then on the first hole around here. its rare that i ever see them on the course unless they have the cart path only rule in effect.

The worst is when they see the group slowing others down, yet just drive right by without a word said. Like seriously just do your job please?

I haven't seen a Ranger since I started playing golf. All the local courses have cut those positions.

I usually only play private courses, so pace of play isn't as bad as munis can be.

Only course around me is white clay creek

tapatalk addict....

My course doesn't have rangers but the pace of play is good. Not to much play. When I have played other courses in the area I see rangers out.

I worked at many private clubs and they never had the need for one. I play quite a few public courses and it's 50/50. Some do thier job and encourage prompt play ie. (ready golf). Others spend thier time looking for golf balls or just drive by getting in your way. My question for this thread would be, "what is the correct job of a marshall?" I can think of many, repairing divots on greens if slow, sand in divots on T's, checking water coolers, picking up trash, lots of stuff beneficial to the course and the players ediquite.

Our Ranger is usually sitting in shade doing nothing but talking on Phone.

Once or twice a round

The biggest problem at my course is since there is no starter groups will get ready and if there is a wait on the first tee, they just decide on their own to start on #10...so you are coming off #9 green and all of the sudden there is a new group right in front of you on 10 tee box...it's really aggrivating!

Also my course is semi-private and there are a bunch of guys that have been members forever that dont think "they" should have to make a tee time because "they've been members for 10 years"...so they show up on Saturday morning at 8:30 and pay the cart fee and take off....several of us have complained about both of these issues but keep getting told that they can't afford a starter of a Ranger.

Only when they think we're playing too slow because we're one clubs length behind the group in front of us...

I am most likely becoming a member at a private course this week. Pace of play is what I am most excited about. I've had enough 5 hour rounds lately. They had a marshall when I used to play there 10 years ago, not sure if they still do or not.

On the country club here never other than the guy who runs the course riding around from time to time. Of course we are a very low volume course and we don't have tee times and I walk up and play as a single all the time. I've never showed up and had to wait to tee off.

On the upscale muni course (sounds funny doesn't it but it's state owned destination type course) I see one every few rounds. I've never seen him ask anyone to speed up or play through because it's usually pretty congested and everyone is backed up for 17 holes.

Back