Charity Golf Outings

bogeyme

The Golf GODS hate me
Reaction score
Handicap
High
I'm sure everyone has played in a four"man" scramble for some sort of charity. I mentioned "over there" that I was planning a golf outing that would benefit a charity or two and I was hoping to get some feed back from some of you around here.

The outing I'm planning will hopefully be on July 3, 2009. I chose this date because of the Charities it will benefit. I'm in talks with "Birdies for the Brave" about having some of the money donated to them from the tournament. If you haven't heard of this please check out their website Birdies for the Brave. I am also going to try to get some money to my brothers unit. They have all kinds of different things they spend the money on. It covers flowers for births, deaths, and a couple different things for the soldiers.

So here's where I need everyone else's help.

What do you expect from a tournament that you pay

$50-$75?

$75-$100?

$100 or more?

When you pay these fees do you expect some kind of "thank you" gift after a certain dollar amount or do you just hope for a great day of golf?

This is the first time I've ever tried to set up a golf tournament so I'm hoping that I don't screw it up because I'd like to make it an annual thing.

I'm sure everyone has played in a four"man" scramble for some sort of charity. I mentioned "over there" that I was planning a golf outing that would benefit a charity or two and I was hoping to get some feed back from some of you around here.

The outing I'm planning will hopefully be on July 3, 2009. I chose this date because of the Charities it will benefit. I'm in talks with "Birdies for the Brave" about having some of the money donated to them from the tournament. If you haven't heard of this please check out their website Birdies for the Brave. I am also going to try to get some money to my brothers unit. They have all kinds of different things they spend the money on. It covers flowers for births, deaths, and a couple different things for the soldiers.

So here's where I need everyone else's help.

What do you expect from a tournament that you pay

$50-$75?

$75-$100?

$100 or more?

When you pay these fees do you expect some kind of "thank you" gift after a certain dollar amount or do you just hope for a great day of golf?

This is the first time I've ever tried to set up a golf tournament so I'm hoping that I don't screw it up because I'd like to make it an annual thing.

I've played in a lot but haven't put one together. I know they key is sponsorship--you want local businesses to put up for tees, pins, beer cart, everything. That's where you get your real money. You should already be on that part.

Typically, I'd expect to pay $100-$125 per golfer and would expect some light buffet before and a real meal afterwards. Plus silent auction and 50-50. Also expect a goody bag, but then again, you get donations--sleeves of balls, golf towels, etc.

There has GOT to be a web site on how to run this stuff.

bogeyme - Great idea to raise money. I've got a bit of experience at running these. The smallest event I've done was for 12 foursomes, the largest was for 25 foursomes (in 2007 which will be repeated in 2009).

You can make the event as simple or as elaborate as you choose.

e.g.: Simple event for a small group: would be held on a public course, charge a modest fee/per player($100), bag lunches and beer in each cart, limit the number of contests (i.e. prizes) to lst place team, closest to the pin, and longest drive. Prizes awarded in the bar at the end.

Elaborate event for a larger group: held at a private course, and charge participants more for the priveledge ($200 - $250 - whatever the market will bear), furnish them with box lunches, have contests for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place teams, closest to the pin contests on front 9 par three, as well as a back 9 par three, similar with longest drive. Margherita/beer cart on the course. Hold a putting contest. Sell mulligans. Yada, yada, yada. Awards dinner at the end.

In either case, I'd encourage you to corral some trusted friends who can help you with the planning and execution. Gift bags, prizes, coordinating with the course, handicapping the unhandicapped (ah, there's a minefield!), etc. A ton of details, but worth it in the end.

bogeyme - Great idea to raise money. I've got a bit of experience at running these. The smallest event I've done was for 12 foursomes, the largest was for 25 foursomes (in 2007 which will be repeated in 2009).

Riceroni-

I'm just curious, how did you find the 48-100 players for the event?

Riceroni-

I'm just curious, how did you find the 48-100 players for the event?

I think the cause that we served was a big factor. The proceeds from this event benefitted music in schools. School music programs have almost disappeared here. However, there is a huge presence of performing (and visual) art support in SF. We had committee people with key contacts, so the private club, sponsorships, donated prizes and gifts, etc., easily followed.

Nobody other than Claire has really answered my question. What do you expect from a tournament that you pay those different prices? Thanks to everyone though that has replied. I'm hoping to draw a full field but since this will be the first year anything will be better than nothing. :banana:

Don't know about your charity, but it must have a board? You really need to get the board members talking it up, inviting their buddies, etc. That's how you get the players (sort of in answer to Harry's question to Rice).

Back