Best Without Win?

As cyclical as golf seems to be, I wonder if Marino missed his chance this year.

I think Marino is gonna come through first. Overton has been hit or miss this year (more miss). Fowler doesn't really need to win this year but post some to 10's this year or something. He's gonna be a big draw and he needs to stop missing cuts. Don't sleep on Two Gloves for this year. He's just been on such a groove that there's a chance he could win one.

Overton always shows up in events that are without superstars. Throw him in an event that features the big boys and he struggles to make cuts. That isn't good.

As cyclical as golf seems to be, I wonder if Marino missed his chance this year.

maybe, but he always seems to be around. In the last 4+ seasons he's had more than 20 top 10's. It took Tim Clark a while before he nailed his first win. With as good as he hits the ball it's hard to imagine that he can't fall in to a victory someplace.

Overton always shows up in events that are without superstars. Throw him in an event that features the big boys and he struggles to make cuts. That isn't good.

You could say that for guys like Ricky Barnes too. He's been such a disappointment on the larger events like the WGC's and the Majors lately.

Here is another one nobody has mentioned....Although I am sure a certain forum member has a picture under his mattress of him because of the gear he plays.

Ricky Barnes!

EDIT: Spank just mentioned him.

Put me in the Marino camp as well. He's been in contention quite a few times - he's due.

maybe, but he always seems to be around. In the last 4+ seasons he's had more than 20 top 10's. It took Tim Clark a while before he nailed his first win. With as good as he hits the ball it's hard to imagine that he can't fall in to a victory someplace.

Very true. To clarify, I really just meant in 2011 as opposed to his whole career.

Very true. To clarify, I really just meant in 2011 as opposed to his whole career.

gotcha, yeah he already had some great chances to get to the winners circle this year.

Here is another one nobody has mentioned....Although I am sure a certain forum member has a picture under his mattress of him because of the gear he plays.

Ricky Barnes!

It ain't a party until someone says Ricky Barnes.

I would add Rickie Fowler to the list for sure.

I enjoyed this article. Marino was the first person I thought of when I heard the topic. But this leads to a multitude of other questions. If there is another first-time winner before Marino, does it mean that in fact, THAT person was really the best without a win before his win?

Another thing that goes through my mind, and kind of leads to how “good” these guys really are, since the consensus is that the fields are “so deep with talent that 70% of the field can win in any given week”, is if Marino, Overton or even Fowler are so good, then why are so many others getting their first win first? Are we constantly mistaken who is really the best without a win? I don't necessarily agree that others are "better" if they get their first win first because I am really surprised Marino hasn't won yet, but do these guys really care that they haven't won yet?

I have said it before, that I think the money these guys play for makes it not such a big deal for them to actually win. They can finish 125th on the money list and still win a million bucks. I remember when winning a million was a big deal, and actually got you first place on the money list. But that is an argument for another time.

There are so many these days. I could definitely see the two in the article, I agree with Fowler, Simpson, Barnes, Na, and I'd throw in Dufner and Jacobson.

Good post, Smalls.

From what I've seen, there are guys out there who can finish strongly many times, but just not pull it off. Often, it seems to come down to stupid mistakes. The pressure and nerves that come from leading a tourney on Sunday morning just have to be massive. I honestly don't know how some of these guys even hit the ball under those conditions.

I also think it's easier to come from behind to win than to hold a lead for some folks. A good example would be the wild card teams in baseball and football playoffs. I think winning becomes a mission rather than a hope for people in those situations.

I enjoyed this article. Marino was the first person I thought of when I heard the topic. But this leads to a multitude of other questions. If there is another first-time winner before Marino, does it mean that in fact, THAT person was really the best without a win before his win?

Another thing that goes through my mind, and kind of leads to how “good” these guys really are, since the consensus is that the fields are “so deep with talent that 70% of the field can win in any given week”, is if Marino, Overton or even Fowler are so good, then why are so many others getting their first win first? Are we constantly mistaken who is really the best without a win? I don't necessarily agree that others are "better" if they get their first win first because I am really surprised Marino hasn't won yet, but do these guys really care that they haven't won yet?

I have said it before, that I think the money these guys play for makes it not such a big deal for them to actually win. They can finish 125th on the money list and still win a million bucks. I remember when winning a million was a big deal, and actually got you first place on the money list. But that is an argument for another time.

Hawk that was a great piece, I love to see us venture out to more than just writing reviews and this was very well done. I'd agree that Overton has to go to the top of the list, but man after him there are a lot of really good players that just haven't gotten it done yet. Ricky Fowler would probably go 2nd for me, anytime you're a Ryder Cupper and not a winner on Tour you have to be close to the top of this dubious list.

Totally Ricky Barnes. Super nice guy and Funny as all hell!!!

Ricky Barnes!

Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me?

Nah....It does not rhyme with Bjorkim's Send...It rhymes w/ Something Fluffer....hehe

Where is tooth snuffer anyway? I thought he'd be all over this thread like a cat in heat.

You all have a good argument but I gotta be a good relative and support my cousin Michael Putnam!

My list of future winners would be:
Marino - solid and always up on leader boards
Webb Simpson - great all around game and a win(s) are close
Overton - keeps getting closer but not sure if the putting stroke will hold up down the stretch
Fowler - I would love to see he get a win soon but he puts up to many high numbers during every round and has a hard time posting 4 good rounds in a row and his distance control for an elite player is not good
Na - He is my first pick to get a W

I think Fowler will be the last player in this group to get the W. I hope I'm wrong but he still has work to do.

I'll say Fowler. He's come in 2nd 4 different times, and he was the only player I felt really brought it to the ryder. JMO

Jason Dufner runs way under the radar but he is my pick to be the next first time winner.

Overton is probably the closest to getting his first PGA tour win ... considering he would of won the Greenbrier Classic last year but Stuart Appleby shot 59 for his final round!

Back