Srixon Demo Day Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2011 THP Golf Outing & Demo Day has concluded and one of the many wonderful things that took place was the ability to hit just about every piece golf equipment you could imagine. We provided notebooks, pens, and gear and ask that people give their thoughts on the equipment that they tried.

This thread will be devoted for the Srixon Golf equipment that was out there.

Srixon Z-Star Driver
Srixon Z-Star FW Woods
Srixon Z-Star Irons

This is the list and we look forward to hearing everybody's thoughts that got to experience this incredible day of demoing equipment.

Z-Star driver - Loved it! The face felt hot. Loved that it was paired with the dromos shaft. Liked the way it set up. Didn't get a chance to mess around with the settings. I could throw it in the bag today and not skip a beat. I currently play a SuperTri and I thought this felt hotter. Not that it matters much, but I have to say that I loved the head cover for these.

Z-Star FW - this is in contention for best FW at the outing. The only thing that scares me away is the price tag. Very easy to hit off the turf. Great distance, would be a nice option off the tee on those tight par 4's. This also came with a stock dromos shaft.

Z-Star irons - I was expecting a little more out of these. I'm not sure why. I thought they felt good, but not as good as some other forged irons that day. Had more forgiveness than my MCs which is nice. Shots flew mid-high for me with plenty of distance. Perhaps I just had too high expectations for these because they left me wanting more. Still a very nice option for people who want the seriousness of a forged club with some forgiveness.

I would love to test out the Srixon driver, but have not been able to find one locally to me. I will keep searching.

What is the street price on this driver - $299 or $399?

• Admin
I would love to test out the Srixon driver, but have not been able to find one locally to me. I will keep searching.

What is the street price on this driver - $299 or $399?

$399..

Z-Star Driver - For some reason, this driver and my swing just don't get along. It looks awesome and I absolutely love the easy adjustments that can be made with it, but it just doesn't fit my swing. I did see some people crushing this thing and have watched JB play very well with it over about 4 rounds.

Z-Star Irons - For a total package iron, these are hard to beat. They have length, forgiveness, nice feel/sound, great ball flight, and look incredible. They are truly a total package. I hit these almost as long, or as long, as any iron out there with a nice high piercing ball flight. I love the shaft they come with. I'd put these in the bag in a second. To me, they are really an enigma in that they don't look like they should behave the way they do. They look like a players iron but play like a GI/distance iron all while maintaining great feel/sound. Love them.

I hit the Z-star irons. These irons were the longest irons of the demo day for me. I picked up the pitchwedge and swung it. When it cleared the green I looked at it again to make sure it was a wedge! I was hammering that thing clearing the range green by a good bit. I grabbed a few of the other irons and it was the same result, very long and straight. My only complaint with them is the harshness at impact. No matter if I flushed them or mishit them it resulted in a hard click, but man the ball really flew with these. They had a nice mid-trajectory for me, not too high at all but still enough to hold the green.

I had that feeling, but was crossing my fingers for $299. For some reason to me, $299 can kind of go under the radar, but at $399 you really need to think about the purchase.

Z Star Driver
Loved the look of this driver, liked the sound and weighting in my hands... BUT I could not hit this without ballooning the crap out of the ball flight. Every single drive I hit was super high and fading right. This just reinforces my theory that the shaft is the most important aspect to a golf club, especially in drivers. If I had the time (or the knowledge) to play with the adjustable settings, I'm sure I could have found something that helped with the ball flight some, but I think I just needed a stiffer shaft (I was hitting the Dromos Stiff flex).

Z Star Irons
These club heads are very attractive to look at. I like the colors of the badge and iron head. When I addressed the ball, I looked down at what appeared to be one of the longest bladed iron heads I think I've ever hit. They looked so long that it actually was a little distracting to me at address. The thick top line was not an issue to me, and the weighting of the club felt about right. These irons were plenty forgiving. The size of the club head certainly helps in this regard. I did not get the wow factor hitting these that many others seemed to get. They were plenty long for me, but I didn't love the feel and I wasn't hitting them particularly well.

I was only able to hit the 3w but I'm glad I did. It was light but not overly light like its Cleveland cousin however the face seemed really hot to me. The ball seemed to just jump off the face and get into the air in a hurry. You could really feel the shaft work with the club head through impact which gave you a sense of control with some power.

It was really a race between Chunky and I for the irons at first. All the hype and beautiful pictures had me worried about whether or not these would live up to it.... I didn't worry for long.

Srixon Z-Star Driver:

So we were looking to do a quick session on the launch monitor. I really wanted to get a baseline for the MC and also pick out my Cleveland driver for the short drive contest. Found my Cleveland and we used the ZStar as the baseline. WOW. Got the Stiff 61 in my hands and it was heaven. You've all seen pictures and this club is even better looking in hand. The way this club feels through the swing is just insane. So smooth. The ball just rockets off the face with a nice rise on the ballflight. I am a huge fan of the Dromos shaft now and it felt a tad heavier than the C Kua but it's how it's supposed to be. The driver is not as loud as the Cleveland 310 which is welcome and has a solid sound/feel. You really feel like your are crushing the ball and it sounds like it.

This gave me near perfect launch numbers and if I had my choice of drivers right now, this would win. It lived up to all I've heard and then some. I really don't know how at some point I'm not going to own one. I just don't see it not being in the bag. I didn't take swing after swing so I can't comment on long term forgiveness but from what I've heard that is not a concern.

Srixon Z-Star Irons:

Man. Beauty, feel and forgiveness. This iron has everything. I honestly don't know how you keep this iron off your must hit.

I picked the 5i because I have a feeling a friend of Yorkem's got to the irons first lol. I have some trouble with a 5i and while I had some misses with the club, this was just as forgiving as my Machspeeds. I wasn't expecting this. I was expecting forgiveness along the lines of a CG7 Tour or a more players type GI iron. I thought it may be a fluke and no doubt, shot after shot. They aren't miracle clubs but the forgiveness absolutely blew me away. I hit it fat sometimes and the iron didn't launch like I didnt hit it fat, but I wasn't punished as much as even my current set.

The 5i seemed really long. I think we hit an 8i which just launched forever (couldve been a 9i). When JB says these have distance, he was not joking. The ball launched high but not too extreme and looked like a rocket leaving the range.

It felt and sounded like a sizzle when you struck the ball. I can't think of a better way to describe it. Everything I heard about these was true. It's also one of those sounds/feel that you just have to experience. The ball also felt like nothing coming off the clubface. It's just a great sensation hitting these clubs I cannot wait to get a set.

Overall:
Srixon absolutely blew me away. I was already expecting a great product but what I experience along with others was something special. A couple companies really have taken clubs to another level and this is one of them.

ZStar FW: Great club. Easy to hit off the deck with controllable ball flight. Shaft is still a bit light for me but nothing that a heavier Dromos (if they make one) can't fix. A touch behind the R11 for best of show on the FW's

ZStar Irons: I say the best overall package you can get in an iron these days. It's forged for those guys that like that stuff plus super forgiving (like GI type). The club face at address looks a bit big for me but barely noticeable after initial impressions. Easy to maneuver the club head unlike the other cavity backs. Excellent offering on the shaft (although for me I would have to swap it out). This one took iron runner up honors for me at the outing.

I had that feeling, but was crossing my fingers for $299. For some reason to me, $299 can kind of go under the radar, but at $399 you really need to think about the purchase.

The shaft retails alone for $350. For the price it's a great combo. I liked this driver but i think i needed to spend more time with it to get to a comfort zone. It was very sharp looking and I think it would rank up there amongst the top as far as drivers go. I think the shaft I hit was a stiff so the flight on mine was relatively low to mid. I liked how the ball felt off the club head.

If someone said to me piece together your perfect bag setup with what is out here I would be hard pressed not to have 2 items at least from the list of Srixon offerings at the demo day!

Srixon Z-Star Driver- Great driver, I like the non radical look of the crown. It's plain, but not boring to me, just a good solid look at address. Compared to some of the uber lightweight drivers out there this had a bit of a heavy feeling to me, which I actually happened to like a lot. At impact the thing just feels and sounds super solid and I got a nice mid launch that went dead straight or even a little bit of a draw to it and for me that is a miracle!

Srixon Z-Star Irons- You've got to be kidding me with these irons. They look like an iron you'd see in a pros bag from address, great top line, smaller than most GI irons and just a great look. Then you hit it and you realize that it has tons of forgiveness and a great ball flight. I hit shot after shot with the 6 iron that was mid to mid-high and the feeling was superb. Distance is as good as I saw from big distance irons like the Burner 2.0s too, these irons are 100% the total package. They were my favorite irons of the demo day.

As far as the irons go, I liked the zstars. The club looked sharp, it felt good on the turf. The flight was med to high, and i was seeing good distance. If I had to bag a set of irons after the demo day these would be high on my list.

The fairway woods - loved the weighting on it. I felt I could swing it very comfortably and it rewarded you with a great ball flight and good feel at impact. I would definitely bag these especially for the shaft, the dromos is one he'll of a shaft.

If someone said to me piece together your perfect bag setup with what is out here I would be hard pressed not to have 2 items at least from the list of Srixon offerings at the demo day!

Srixon Z-Star Driver- Great driver, I like the non radical look of the crown. It's plain, but not boring to me, just a good solid look at address. Compared to some of the uber lightweight drivers out there this had a bit of a heavy feeling to me, which I actually happened to like a lot. At impact the thing just feels and sounds super solid and I got a nice mid launch that went dead straight or even a little bit of a draw to it and for me that is a miracle!

Srixon Z-Star Irons- You've got to be kidding me with these irons. They look like an iron you'd see in a pros bag from address, great top line, smaller than most GI irons and just a great look. Then you hit it and you realize that it has tons of forgiveness and a great ball flight. I hit shot after shot with the 6 iron that was mid to mid-high and the feeling was superb. Distance is as good as I saw from big distance irons like the Burner 2.0s too, these irons are 100% the total package. They were my favorite irons of the demo day.

See Sig....:alien:

I knew I wasn't crazy!!!

Z Star Driver - Nice looking club and although I hit it well I was not sold on it the three times I gave it a go. Every shot I hit was a high cut and that is not my normal shot shape. It may have been the shaft, or it may have been my swing but three hits and three high fades. I prefer my SL290 over the Z - Star although I love the options the Srixon driver provides. If I could have played with the settings this driver could be a strong contender.

Z- Star Irons - Great looking forged irons with a more traditional head shape. The appeal was there but the feel was a bit off for me. They felt a bit clicky to me which was a surprise with them being forged. I am more of a picker so maybe someone who compresses the ball better would have a winner with these irons. The distance was ok but not as hot as my current irons IMO. Trajectory was more of a mid flight which better players will love. I have no doubt the single digit players could fall in love with these however for my game, they were not a good fit.

I know!!! I'm telling you, these things rock! It's no wonder you whooped me out there.

You were looking at me through 6 holes thinking (I could see the gerbil spinning in that head)...Can I review these irons?

Ill be sleeping on P4B's couch if that happens. It would be a second set of eyes lol. Not that he needs them but these irons are the real deal.

I know!!! I'm telling you, these things rock! It's no wonder you whooped me out there.

You were looking at me through 6 holes thinking (I could see the gerbil spinning in that head)...Can I review these irons?

What shaft was in the Z star irons at demo day?

Or, can I steal those without him noticing? Especially when you stuck that one STIFF on #2. I'm like, really dude, 6 inches from 160 something? So you said something about me reviewing them? :wink:

Nippon NS Pro 1050's

Thanks. I'm going to be getting the Zstars in a few weeks, but I think I would put KBS tours, C tapers, or TT S300's in them to keep my ball flight down a bit.

Thanks. I'm going to be getting the Zstars in a few weeks, but I think I would put KBS tours, C tapers, or TT S300's in them to keep my ball flight down a bit.

That would've been my route as well. S300's or PX6.0's. For a stock shaft though, the Nippons fill a lot of folks out there. It was just top notch all around.

That would've been my route as well. S300's or PX6.0's. For a stock shaft though, the Nippons fill a lot of folks out there. It was just top notch all around.

I have heard good and bad things about the nippons. I know a couple of people who claim to have lost distance with them, and others who rave about them. I have had good succes with KBS and TT over the years and trust them. The PX 6.0's would be an interesting choice. I need to see if I can find one to hit! :)

Back