Ball Height/Flight

theslflash689

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.3
I have always played low flying equipment, at least according to most. My dad (7 handicap) says that my ball flight seems to be low. I have no idea what an "ideal" flight should be. How can I tell if my ball flight is too high or too low?

The simple answer is to get on a launch monitor and see what the numbers look like. In terms of what would be normal or ideal...ideal changes a bit from player to player but we would like to see all clubs reach a max height around 35-40 feet off of the ground. Is that in the ballpark for your height?

not really. my ball is probably around 20 - 25 feet off the ground? i'm not really sure to be honest with you. do you believe that people have a natural ball flight, and thats where technology can help? like I know people talk about even pros, some have a low ball flight and some hit it high naturally.

Hey Andy, I seem to have the opposite problem. No matter how low I tee my ball my driver flight is very high, high enough that most times it's not far from it's divot. I know I'm losing alot of distance from no roll out. Do you think a shaft fitting would help or is it all swing related?

for me it's the irons.

we would like to see all clubs reach a max height around 35-40 feet off of the ground.

Wow I would have expected the ideal to be much higher than that. Mine are at least double that height and noone haas ever told me I am hitting them too high.

Wow I would have expected the ideal to be much higher than that. Mine are at least double that height and noone haas ever told me I am hitting them too high.
I thought the same thing, but didn't want to say it. You could put a 40 foot wall 50 yards in front of me and I would never hit it with any club unless I tired to.

When I first heard that for a height I was a bit surprised by it as well. Anybody who has played with me will vouch for the fact I hit the ball HIGH!. This is a jumping off point, and yes some players hit higher shots while others much lower. The biggest factor here is the hands at impact. For those of us who tend to flip a bit at impact hit the ball higher, while those who trap it a bit more hit it lower.

For driver issues a fitting is huge. Loft of the club will influence this as will the shaft. Find a good PGA professional or your local GolfTEC and get in there for a proper fitting. This will get the flight more where you want it and you will start to get the distance back.

The simple answer is to get on a launch monitor and see what the numbers look like. In terms of what would be normal or ideal...ideal changes a bit from player to player but we would like to see all clubs reach a max height around 35-40 feet off of the ground. Is that in the ballpark for your height?

Hey Andy. Does the "all clubs reach a max height around 35-40 feet" also include the driver? 40 feet as a max ideal height for a driver seems incredibly low, and quite a bit lower than the height of my ball flight with the driver. I think my typical flight with the driver reaches approximately 100 or so feet in height.

Back